View Poll Results: Should killer sharks be killed?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 21.57%
  • No

    40 78.43%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 91

Thread: Should killer sharks be killed.

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Exactly. So when Top Dog gets near me, I'm gonna kill him. I ain't gonna just roll over and accept that just because some dumb-ass shark can't tell me from a seal I have to die for it. I will kill that thing quicker than a rattlesnake. (Unless, of course, it takes me a long time to reel it in. LOL!) I have also been known to throw a stingray or two up under the bow.
    While the shark is attacking you, I have no problem with someone attacking it. But to go afterwards, and kill sharks just because one attacked someone isn't right.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    You are 'walking' into where they live, where they breed, and where they hunt. (and they believe some shark attacks are due to a female clearing the area where she's going to give birth or lay eggs)


    ...Personally, I think going into their hunting, living, and breeding grounds is "egregious provocation".

    I don't agree.

    When I walk out my door, I am entering Nature. I live out in the country. Sometimes there are raccoons or possum in my yard or on my porch. A fox once attacked my son on our porch.

    Maybe they considered my front yard part of "where they live, breed and hunt". I don't give a ****. If they frack with me or mine, I shoot 'em. If they inconvenience me, I shoot 'em.

    When I go hiking or camping in the State forest, I am most emphatically going where bear, coyotes and other potential people-biters live, breed and hunt. If they frack with me or mine, I will shoot them in their own "front yard".

    It is nature's way. frack with a wolf, and he'll probably bite you. Wolf fracks with me, I shoot him. Same diff. Strange dog in my yard growls at me or acts aggressive, he gets shot dead on the spot.

    Coyote gets hungry, he kills him some fluffy bunny. I do likewise. If coyote can't find some fluffy bunny, maybe he tries a bite of Baby Human. When this happens, we hunt his ass down and kill him... it's our little polite way of saying Don't Do It Again, We Don't Like It and We Are Bigger BadAsses Than You.

    Okay, maybe going out in a gazillion boats and killing 1000 sharks in reaction to one bite attack is a bit much, I can see that. Contrariwise, I recall a case where a modest-size shark attacked some children in shallow water. Mommy went hyper-adrenaline and dragged the shark out on the beach by the tail. She then got a 4x4 post with a nail in it and beat the shark to death.

    Should she not have done that? Should she have gotten her children out of the water, scolded them for infringing on the shark's hunting grounds, then pulled the shark back into the water and let it go?

    I say no, if we have our hands on a known man-biter, kill it.


    Besides, shark attacks are so fricken rare and sharks are VITAL (I cannot stress this enough) to our fisheries.
    Not my area o expertise, I'll take your word on it. I'm not talking about exterminating sharks as a genus or even reducing their numbers drastically, just saying that in principle known man-biters should be killed if opportunity arises.
    Last edited by Goshin; 08-18-10 at 06:56 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #33
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I don't agree.

    When I walk out my door, I am entering Nature. I live out in the country. Sometimes there are raccoons or possum in my yard or on my porch. A fox once attacked my son on our porch.

    Maybe they considered my front yard part of "where they live, breed and hunt". I don't give a ****. If they frack with me or mine, I shoot 'em. If they inconvenience me, I shoot 'em.

    When I go hiking or camping in the State forest, I am most emphatically going where bear, coyotes and other potential people-biters live, breed and hunt. If they frack with me or mine, I will shoot them in their own "front yard".
    It is nature's way. frack with a wolf, and he'll probably bite you. Wolf fracks with me, I shoot him. Same diff. Strange dog in my yard growls at me or acts aggressive, he gets shot dead on the spot.
    Coyote gets hungry, he kills him some fluffy bunny. I do likewise. If coyote can't find some fluffy bunny, maybe he tries a bite of Baby Human. When this happens, we hunt his ass down and kill him... it's our little polite way of saying Don't Do It Again, We Don't Like It and We Are Bigger BadAsses Than You.
    Okay, maybe going out in a gazillion boats and killing 1000 sharks in reaction to one bite attack is a bit much, I can see that. Contrariwise, I recall a case where a modest-size shark attacked some children in shallow water. Mommy went hyper-adrenaline and dragged the shark out on the beach by the tail. She then got a 4x4 post with a nail in it and beat the shark to death.

    Should she not have done that? Should she have gotten her children out of the water, scolded them for infringing on the shark's hunting grounds, then pulled the shark back into the water and let it go?
    I say no, if we have our hands on a known man-biter, kill it.
    Not my area o expertise, I'll take your word on it. I'm not talking about exterminating sharks as a genus or even reducing their numbers drastically, just saying that in principle known man-biters should be killed if opportunity arises.
    It might be just a small point...but 'man' is part of 'nature'...we are just more advanced predators.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    It might be just a small point...but 'man' is part of 'nature'...we are just more advanced predators.

    Thank you, that was part of my point.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    16 to 0, speaks well for the poll responders, this poll anyway.
    Some sharks are close to being endangered; man is not.

  6. #36
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Thank you, that was part of my point.
    Oh I got it...I just hear it all the time form folks here how delicate the food chain is and how we have to preserve all the animals in the food chain and if you remove even one you destroy the food chain...as if we arent a link IN that food chain.

    I laugh when the nature lovers build their cabins in the mountains and THEN decide there shouldnt be any more building...because its important to balance 'nature'...and then they want to kill off the predators that threaten their little children while they are off walking in 'nature'. I recall a few incidents in California not too long ago when mountain lions attacked hikers...and people were shocked...shocked I say!

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Oh I got it...I just hear it all the time form folks here how delicate the food chain is and how we have to preserve all the animals in the food chain and if you remove even one you destroy the food chain...as if we arent a link IN that food chain.

    I laugh when the nature lovers build their cabins in the mountains and THEN decide there shouldnt be any more building...because its important to balance 'nature'...and then they want to kill off the predators that threaten their little children while they are off walking in 'nature'. I recall a few incidents in California not too long ago when mountain lions attacked hikers...and people were shocked...shocked I say!

    Yeah, I know, its funny as hell isn't it, when Yuppies realize that "Nature Bites"

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #38
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Exactly. So when Top Dog gets near me, I'm gonna kill him. I ain't gonna just roll over and accept that just because some dumb-ass shark can't tell me from a seal I have to die for it. I will kill that thing quicker than a rattlesnake. (Unless, of course, it takes me a long time to reel it in. LOL!) I have also been known to throw a stingray or two up under the bow.
    That's different than going out and killing every shark in sight in some feeble attempt to "get the one that got you".

  9. #39
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I don't agree.

    When I walk out my door, I am entering Nature. I live out in the country. Sometimes there are raccoons or possum in my yard or on my porch. A fox once attacked my son on our porch.

    Maybe they considered my front yard part of "where they live, breed and hunt". I don't give a ****. If they frack with me or mine, I shoot 'em. If they inconvenience me, I shoot 'em.

    When I go hiking or camping in the State forest, I am most emphatically going where bear, coyotes and other potential people-biters live, breed and hunt. If they frack with me or mine, I will shoot them in their own "front yard".

    It is nature's way. frack with a wolf, and he'll probably bite you. Wolf fracks with me, I shoot him. Same diff. Strange dog in my yard growls at me or acts aggressive, he gets shot dead on the spot.

    Coyote gets hungry, he kills him some fluffy bunny. I do likewise. If coyote can't find some fluffy bunny, maybe he tries a bite of Baby Human. When this happens, we hunt his ass down and kill him... it's our little polite way of saying Don't Do It Again, We Don't Like It and We Are Bigger BadAsses Than You.
    First off, self defense is entirely different.

    I remember once up at my grandparent's cabin in the mountains, I was riding around on my 4-wheeler and encountered some bear CUBS. They are ****ing cute, and damn curious. I knew better than to approach them, I knew mom wouldn't be far away. But I DID stop, because they're cute and I wanted to see them. After a few seconds, I backed the 4wheeler up and went the other direction. I didn't want to encounter mom. Not because black bears themselves are so uber dangerous and mean in general, but when defending their cubs, they are going to be vicious bitches. With good reason!

    Now, had I encountered her and had she attacked, and if I had the means, I would absolutely, without a doubt, defend myself to the death if necessary. That's not what I'm talking about.

    What I'm talking about is IF she had attacked and/or killed me, I think it would be completely and totally wrong for some "posse" to go out hunting female black bears in some attempt to get the one that got me. I was in HER territory. I came between HER and HER CUBS (hypothetically). There's no reason she, or dozens of other bears should be hunted and killed because of that and after the fact. None.

    Okay, maybe going out in a gazillion boats and killing 1000 sharks in reaction to one bite attack is a bit much, I can see that.
    Going out and killing ANY is a bit much. You are not going to get the one that killed, and even if you did, you'd never fricken know it. Many sharks would die for no reason.

    Contrariwise, I recall a case where a modest-size shark attacked some children in shallow water. Mommy went hyper-adrenaline and dragged the shark out on the beach by the tail. She then got a 4x4 post with a nail in it and beat the shark to death.

    Should she not have done that? Should she have gotten her children out of the water, scolded them for infringing on the shark's hunting grounds, then pulled the shark back into the water and let it go?

    I say no, if we have our hands on a known man-biter, kill it.
    Self defense is different.


    Not my area o expertise, I'll take your word on it. I'm not talking about exterminating sharks as a genus or even reducing their numbers drastically, just saying that in principle known man-biters should be killed if opportunity arises.
    But you cannot know which are "man-biters". Sharks swim on average - even at their leisurely pace - 5mph. A shark that attacked someone on some beach is going to be over 200 miles away by the time some shark posse gets out there hunting for it. It's pointless and only diminishes their numbers unnecessarily.

  10. #40
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should killer sharks be killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Oh I got it...I just hear it all the time form folks here how delicate the food chain is and how we have to preserve all the animals in the food chain and if you remove even one you destroy the food chain...as if we arent a link IN that food chain.
    The fact that we are a link in that food chain is the whole point. If the sharks disappeared, so would much of the fish and other seafood we eat.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •