View Poll Results: (Fill in the blank) People should pay more for health insurance if they _________.

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • smoke

    28 71.79%
  • are overweight

    19 48.72%
  • are underweight

    8 20.51%
  • don't exercise on a normal basis or aren't active

    10 25.64%
  • don't eat a balanced diet

    9 23.08%
  • have a previous medical condition

    12 30.77%
  • have a family history of a medical condition

    6 15.38%
  • are older

    16 41.03%
  • can afford it

    3 7.69%
  • Other (explain)

    10 25.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 130

Thread: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

  1. #61
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    They should charge everyone the same price.
    If that were the case and the insurance companies could only charge one price for a given level of coverage, they will increase the premiums for young/healthy people to make up for the loss of premiums for the old/sick people.

    You'll be OK with that?
    How do you sell that to the young/healthy people?

  2. #62
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,530

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Umm yes there is. By smoothing out the cost of insurance by charging old and young the same price (or at least close to the same price)...You know, the very thing that we were TALKING about?
    That doesn't change their medical costs. That just artificially changes the scheme of insurance premiums.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #63
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    A direct answer to your question doesn't address what you asked?
    Your asnswer didnt address the question. You can try to rephrase your asnwer if you like.

    Yes there is. We can smooth out the cost of insurance by mandating that insurers charge old and young the same price (or at least in the same ballpark).
    How does that change the fact that most medical costs for most people are incurred in their last ~20 years?

  4. #64
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That doesn't change their medical costs. That just artificially changes the scheme of insurance premiums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    How does that change the fact that most medical costs for most people are incurred in their last ~20 years?
    It doesn't. It just changes when they're paying for it. They'll pay more when they're younger than the market dictates, and less when they're older. Unless they live an abnormally short or long lifespan, it will approximately balance out over the course of their lives.

    You both seem to be laboring under the assumption that I share your opinion that risks beyond a person's control (e.g. age) should be factored into the cost of their premiums, and/or that I share your opinion that higher medical costs should equal higher premiums (which defeats the whole purpose of insurance). I don't.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-18-10 at 01:10 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #65
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,530

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You both seem to be laboring under the assumption that I share your opinion that risks beyond a person's control (e.g. age) should be factored into the cost of their premiums, and/or that I share your opinion that higher medical costs should equal higher premiums (which defeats the whole purpose of insurance). I don't.
    I believe, between the two of us, there's only one person "laboring under assumptions" about the other person, and it's not I. But, you show considerable skill at obfuscation and deflection away from mathematical and physical fact.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #66
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It doesn't. It just changes when they're paying for it
    Well then - your response doesnt address my pont. Just like I said.

    And then, as I said before:

    If that were the case and the insurance companies could only charge one price for a given level of coverage, they will increase the premiums for young/healthy people to make up for the loss of premiums for the old/sick people.

    You'll be OK with that?
    How do you sell that to the young/healthy people?
    Last edited by Goobieman; 08-18-10 at 01:20 PM.

  7. #67
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I believe, between the two of us, there's only one person "laboring under assumptions" about the other person, and it's not I.

    What assumptions have I made about your views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw
    But, you show considerable skill at obfuscation and deflection away from mathematical and physical fact.
    To what mathematical fact are you referring? Actuarial tables? Those only address the relative risk of an insuree; they say nothing about whether those risks should be taken into consideration from a macroeconomic policy standpoint.

    Way to not actually address any of my points and just move straight into snarky comments. I like your style.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-18-10 at 01:24 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #68
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Well then - your response doesnt address my pont. Just like I said.
    Your point was that old and sick people incur more health care costs? Umm, OK. I don't think anyone has disputed that. What exactly does it have to do with insurance premiums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    If that were the case and the insurance companies could only charge one price for a given level of coverage, they will increase the premiums for young/healthy people to make up for the loss of premiums for the old/sick people.

    You'll be OK with that?
    Yes. That's the whole idea, to smooth out the cost of health insurance over the course of one's life, instead of charging virtually nothing when they are young and charging a nearly unaffordable amount when they are old. It will eliminate uncertainty and help people make better financial plans for their lives.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    How do you sell that to the young/healthy people?
    By requiring everyone to purchase health insurance to prevent anyone from gaming the system like that.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-18-10 at 01:25 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #69
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You both seem to be laboring under the assumption that I share your opinion that risks beyond a person's control (e.g. age) should be factored into the cost of their premiums, and/or that I share your opinion that higher medical costs should equal higher premiums (which defeats the whole purpose of insurance). I don't.
    First, I have no such assumption - in fact, it is -quite- clear that:

    -you place no value in actuarial tables, even though they are as close to perfect as one can be in predicting risks across demographics and time

    -you operate under thge false assumption that charging dfferent premiums for different risks somehow elimiates the aggregating effect of the insurance pool as a whole.

    Given that, your disagreement with what's being presented to you here is unsupportable.

  10. #70
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: When should health insurance cost more for someone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Your point was that old and sick people incur more health care costs? Umm, OK. I don't think anyone has disputed that. What exactly does it have to do with insurance premiums?
    You -tried- to dispute it. Why?

    Oh wait -- maybe you didnt take the time to actually comprehend what I wrote. The irony.

    And the relevance is obvious -- more costs = more risk; more risk = higher premiums. That is, after all, how insurance works.

    By requiring everyone to purchase health insurance to prevent anyone from gaming the system like that.
    You plan to convince young people that it is a good idea by simply forcing it on them?
    Good luck wit that.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 08-18-10 at 01:36 PM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •