View Poll Results: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 33.33%
  • No

    12 57.14%
  • Don't know

    2 9.52%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

  1. #31
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    There is free speech and then there is trade secrets. Most places can sue you if you release trade secrets, I would consider this one hell of a trade secret.
    Considering the nature of this trade secret, like the US covering up civilian deaths, i'd say a judge may want to consider the facts first and if not the release of these documents was for a good purpose that benefits us. The government has clearly been disregarding the freedom of information act, our trust amongst other things. Leaks and tip offs are usually fundamental to many journalists, especially in this industry when they are commenting on politics. The apache helicopter footage was another example of the US being sly. Wikileaks is providing a service to the general public that is invaluable to our knowledge as people and citizens who reserve the right to just KNOW. This is fundamental to journalism and it cannot be suppressed.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #32
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    He has already released information and names that put people's lives at risk. Source: Afghan informants&#039; lives at risk from documents posted on WikiLeaks | The Australian
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Right but **** him that's why. This guy is undermining the US efforts and the 20 guys AU can afford to send over there.
    As an American, I don't think Iraq and Afghanistan have anything to do with our national security, either. But for the sake of argument I'm willing to grant that maybe a few of them could be relevant to security. That's why our government should have taken the trouble to vet them.

  3. #33
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Considering the nature of this trade secret, like the US covering up civilian deaths, i'd say a judge may want to consider the facts first and if not the release of these documents was for a good purpose that benefits us. The government has clearly been disregarding the freedom of information act, our trust amongst other things. Leaks and tip offs are usually fundamental to many journalists, especially in this industry when they are commenting on politics. The apache helicopter footage was another example of the US being sly. Wikileaks is providing a service to the general public that is invaluable to our knowledge as people and citizens who reserve the right to just KNOW. This is fundamental to journalism and it cannot be suppressed.
    Actually, you can't be sued for releasing trade secrets. And like you say, it's the government's job to guard legitimate secrets within the guidelines of FOIA so the public doesn't have to rely on leaks.

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    As an American, I don't think Iraq and Afghanistan have anything to do with our national security, either. But for the sake of argument I'm willing to grant that maybe a few of them could be relevant to security. That's why our government should have taken the trouble to vet them.
    This has what to do with my comment that in fact names of people who are now at extra risk where in the documents released?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Actually, you can't be sued for releasing trade secrets. And like you say, it's the government's job to guard legitimate secrets within the guidelines of FOIA so the public doesn't have to rely on leaks.
    You can in Aussie and if im not wrong the UK.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #36
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This has what to do with my comment that in fact names of people who are now at extra risk where in the documents released?
    It has to do with it because those people's interests don't affect our national security.

  7. #37
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    You can in Aussie and if im not wrong the UK.
    To clarify, the original leaker of a trade secret can be sued, not because the information is secret per se but because they've probably engaged in an unfair business practice. But once the information is out, it's fair game for journalists or anyone else. You can't be sued just for publishing it.

  8. #38
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    It has to do with it because those people's interests don't affect our national security.
    Which has exactly what to do with the fact that people's lives have been put at risk by Assange's decision to publish their names and details about them on the internet?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #39
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Which has exactly what to do with the fact that people's lives have been put at risk by Assange's decision to publish their names and details about them on the internet?
    Sorry, I didn't reread all of what you quoted from my earlier post, so I thought you were commenting on the national security issue. As for putting people's lives in danger, Assange seems to have avoided that as best he could without help from the US government.

  10. #40
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Jullian Assange be tried for treason or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Sorry, I didn't reread all of what you quoted from my earlier post, so I thought you were commenting on the national security issue. As for putting people's lives in danger, Assange seems to have avoided that as best he could without help from the US government.
    He published people's names. That is, in no way, doing the best he could. That is, in fact, not trying. It's not hard to read and redact people's names.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •