View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 37.93%
  • No

    88 60.69%
  • A bit more complex view (if so feel free to explain)

    2 1.38%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

  1. #41
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    There's nothing irresponsible about smoking marijuana or drinking beer or smoking a cigarette or using dip or snorting coke.

    There are millions of successful people in the world that recreationally used drugs.

    This notion that we need laws that punish everybody because some might become crack head is assinine.

    Marijuana in particular has no adverse side effects, you can't overdose, it doesn't make the user violent.

    I know peole who've overdosed. I've seen the bad side of drugs and alcohol for that matter.

    I've never seen marijuana destroy lives.

    Remember the 1920's. Prohibition creates more crime and makes everything worse.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  2. #42
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    @Kal: The study comes from a UK medical journal called the Lancet. Also I would agree with you that tobacco is being heavily restricted to keep children from smoking or at least help to deter it, but it is far from going illegal and will never be illegal here, nor in any other industrialized nation.

    @Johnny: I am still going to have to disagree on stuff such as crack cocaine and the like. It is an incredibly bad drug and unlike pot, it could turn a perfectly normal person into a crazy crack craving asshole. I go by the old if God made it, then it should be ok motto though. You could argue that parts of crack are god made obviously, but the process to make it is incredibly hazardous.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #43
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    I agree with you on how bad crack is for instance. I know first hand what you're talking about.

    But it's prohibition isn't making a difference. People are still doing it.

    Somehow people need to not want to do it.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  4. #44
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    It doesn't matter how dangerous the drug is. When you make it illegal, you make it even more dangerous. Period.

    Drug laws have no known effect on the rate of drug use. You don't reduce drug use by making harsh punishments. It doesn't work like that, and nobody has been able to produce any evidence that suggests it does.

    People are sovereign entities and their bodies belong to them. What they knowingly and willingly put into their own bodies is nobody's business but their own. Not yours, not mine, and not the government's.

    The rate of use of tobacco has been steadily declining for the past 42 years. We didn't have to lock people up to accomplish that, we did it through education and deglamorization. We should take a clue from that and implement it as the main strategy for waging the war on drugs.

    The war on drugs has been failing because it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on drug users.

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    What about handguns and knives? It's irresponsible to have a handgun. Statistically, if you own a handgun it will more likely end up hurting or killing one of your family members than ever be used successfully for self defense. What about swords? Why the hell would anybody want to own a sword? Is there any valid way to use it that isn't irresponsible?
    Guns and swords don't alter your perceptions, or ability to think clearly. Drugs do. Drugs will get you addicted to the point where you will do anything to get them. When was the last time that you heard of an addicted gun/sword owner killing someone to get their fix? Same question for druggies?

    Bad bad analogy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    What about drugs you can get from a doctor, like vicodin, oxycodone, tramadol, xanax, ativan, carisoprodol, valium, codeine, ambien, seroquel, demerol, fentanyl, dilaudid, adderall, ritalin, focalin, prozac, klonopin... the list goes oooonnnn and on.
    I don't even know half of those that you just named off. But if you're getting it from a doctor then I'm assuming that you are using a prescription. Last I looked you could get no more than what the prescription said...and only for as long as the doctor would give you the prescription. If you have one of those drugs without having a prescription for it then it is illegal to have em. Sorry but your point just went down the drain. FYI, if a doctor prescribes MJ to a patient then I have no problem with it. Because it is being used for medical purposes..not recreational purposes that are uncontrolled.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    The amount of people in jail for drugs is absurd. It costs billions of dollars every year and accomplishes nothing. Meanwhile, the largest drug dealer in the country -- big pharm corporations, are amongst the most powerful lobbies in Washington. There's a huge problem with the entire system and legalizing marijuana (a drug I don't even use or enjoy btw) is a no brainer. Once a few prominent politicians support legalization, they'll all fall like dominoes and the vast majority of Americans will support efforts to legalize.
    The amount of people in jail for drugs is absurd. I agree. Maybe those people should follow the law instead of using things that they know is illegal. What I find funny is people are always telling me that my sisters attitude and theivery is not because of the drugs and yet when it comes to people being in prison because of MJ it is suddenly the drugs fault. (ie it being illegal) What ever happened to "personal responsibility" there?

    Also there have been a few prominent politicians in favor of legalizing MJ. But the majority of Americans do not want it legalized. Sorry bucko...you're outta luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    And marijuana is not addictive. That is, it's not physically addictive. Having cravings after quitting does not mean it's addictive. You can even have a mild to moderate physical or emotional reaction to quitting, but it's all psychological and you could experience the same thing if you quit a massive shopping habit, or you quit watching porn... pretty much anything.
    Marijuana's addictive properties:
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    There's nothing irresponsible about smoking marijuana or drinking beer or smoking a cigarette or using dip or snorting coke.

    There are millions of successful people in the world that recreationally used drugs.

    This notion that we need laws that punish everybody because some might become crack head is assinine.

    Marijuana in particular has no adverse side effects, you can't overdose, it doesn't make the user violent.

    I know peole who've overdosed. I've seen the bad side of drugs and alcohol for that matter.

    I've never seen marijuana destroy lives.

    Remember the 1920's. Prohibition creates more crime and makes everything worse.
    Sorry wasn't alive in the 1920's. (I'm playing around btw.)

    So because prohibition made more crime in one area you are suggesting that we legalize MJ? How about we legalize assassinations? Theft? That is prohibitited to. We still have those crimes so prohibiting it must not work...perhaps if we legalize it all then all crimes will stop all together!

    Seriously, of course legalizing something will lower the crime rate. Because if it's not considered a crime then no crime is committed. Duh. There is a reason that society has laws. If there were no laws then there would be nothing but anarchy. Which is not conducive to a society that will grow and learn and expand. Dumbing down with drugs is not conducive to a healthy, growing society.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #47
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Guns and swords don't alter your perceptions, or ability to think clearly. Drugs do. Drugs will get you addicted to the point where you will do anything to get them. When was the last time that you heard of an addicted gun/sword owner killing someone to get their fix? Same question for druggies?

    Bad bad analogy.



    I don't even know half of those that you just named off. But if you're getting it from a doctor then I'm assuming that you are using a prescription. Last I looked you could get no more than what the prescription said...and only for as long as the doctor would give you the prescription. If you have one of those drugs without having a prescription for it then it is illegal to have em. Sorry but your point just went down the drain. FYI, if a doctor prescribes MJ to a patient then I have no problem with it. Because it is being used for medical purposes..not recreational purposes that are uncontrolled.



    The amount of people in jail for drugs is absurd. I agree. Maybe those people should follow the law instead of using things that they know is illegal. What I find funny is people are always telling me that my sisters attitude and theivery is not because of the drugs and yet when it comes to people being in prison because of MJ it is suddenly the drugs fault. (ie it being illegal) What ever happened to "personal responsibility" there?

    Also there have been a few prominent politicians in favor of legalizing MJ. But the majority of Americans do not want it legalized. Sorry bucko...you're outta luck.



    Marijuana's addictive properties:
    A marijuana user killing to get their fix? That's absurd.

    I was trying to highlight the hypocrisy with our laws. It's true that much of what I said wasn't an argument for legalization, and it wasn't really intended to be. The argument for legalization is much simpler: marijuana isn't a harmful drug. And I don't need studies to tell me that, because I have personal experience. I smoked pot every single day for years, including every single day of high school. I finished with a 3.6 GPA, never once got in trouble for anything, worked after school to financially support my habit, participated on the speech and debate teams and won all conference as a tennis player. After college, I quit when it stopped being enjoyable to me and I didn't experience any problems quitting, and all these years later, I have no urge whatsoever to start up again. So it's easy for me to support legalization. I was as happier, as successful, and as productive a person at the height of my habit than at any point before or after.

    In opposition to that, I drank alcohol heavily for a few months and it literally almost killed me more than once. So yeah, it's a no brainer. And the public may not support legalization now, but I think they will when mainstream politicians do. It won't be taboo and people won't be afraid of getting arrested for speaking out. Which is exactly how it should be.
    A working class hero is something to be

  8. #48
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    Soon come mon. Soon come....


    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Guns and swords don't alter your perceptions, or ability to think clearly. Drugs do.
    There is nothing wrong and no crime committed by an individual who chooses to alter their perceptions.

    Drugs will get you addicted to the point where you will do anything to get them.

    Marijuana's addictive properties:
    I quote:
    The study reports that marijuana withdrawal includes increases in irritability, anxiety and physical tension, as well as decreases in appetite and mood.
    Sounds as innocuous as caffeine withdrawal.

    Dr. Wendy Swift, one of the study's researchers, said that "many clients expressed depression, they also attributed problems with concentration and memory, isolating themselves from others, and lack of motivation to their cannabis use."
    These are symptoms of mild addiction. No reason to criminalize marijuana.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So because prohibition made more crime in one area you are suggesting that we legalize MJ? How about we legalize assassinations? Theft? That is prohibitited to. We still have those crimes so prohibiting it must not work...perhaps if we legalize it all then all crimes will stop all together!
    Assassination, theft, etc are all crimes because they cause harm to other people. Marijuana does not. It should not be a crime.

    Seriously, of course legalizing something will lower the crime rate. Because if it's not considered a crime then no crime is committed. Duh.
    This is precisely the point. Legalizing removes the criminal enterprise supplying the drugs in this prohibition. Legalizing causes less harm.

    Dumbing down with drugs is not conducive to a healthy, growing society.
    Of course it is conducive to a healthy, growing society. Prohibition creates crime and criminal enterprise and that is what is not conducive to a healthy, growing society.

    If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't tell me what I can or can't do to my mind or body.

  10. #50
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized for recreational purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I think it's been all of two weeks since the last maryjane poll.


    Standard answer:
    Yeslegalizeitandbringthesupplychainintotheopenmark etandimposepurityregulationsandtaxesandtreatitlike booze.
    What he said.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •