View Poll Results: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! More Harm than Good

    22 38.60%
  • NO! More good than harm!

    21 36.84%
  • Other / I dont know

    11 19.30%
  • Shut up Noodle! I AM God!!!

    3 5.26%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 157

Thread: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

  1. #101
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    And what things would happen if people didn't have a God to compel them to be moral?
    I think morality is purely related to human nature and social construct - not religion.

    You can be moral/or immoral without religion. . .just as someone can be moral/immoral *with* religion (as is evident by crimes of various degrees committed by clergy, etc).

    If you used religion *only* as a guide to morality you'll be **** up a creek - many religions can't agree on what is 'moral' and 'right' - as is evident by all the examples I've given in this thread. . . but there are many other examples that don't even touch on social-stigmas and sins (like murder, rape, etc)

    Did you know that in the Weslyan Church dancing is disgraceful and immoral - so my parents discouraged us from doing it - completely.
    But in many other Christian-nominations dancing is fine and even encouraged (group dance night, etc).
    So when my Dad transferred from the Weslyan Church to the Methodist Church - he then had to explain to us all the different things we now could do (or couldn't do) in order to cleave to the Church's decision of what was 'morally acceptable' for the flock.

    Isn't that just the stupidest damn thing? Two different nominations of the same faith claiming that things are immoral/moral at the same time.



    If religion had more of a hold we'd even be more confused as a society - so, no, I don't look to any faith or religion to tell me what's moral or immoral. Certain things are inherently unacceptable regardless of what religions you believe/don't believe in - because human nature and society says so.

    But, even then, you can look at different societies and cultures and come away with differences in morality - like family constructs (what to permit your kids to do: drink or don't drink) . . . is it acceptable to be nude in front of your children? (nudists VS non-nudists) . . . and so on.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 08-16-10 at 01:28 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    It is true that Christianity, Islam and other Great Religions introduced a higher level of morality into very immoral societies.

  3. #103
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It is true that Christianity, Islam and other Great Religions introduced a higher level of morality into very immoral societies.
    Because the Man in the Sky says so.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #104
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    The Children's Crusade would not have happened.

    You mean this thing?

    The Children's Crusade is the name given to a variety of fictional and factual events which happened in 1212 that combine some or all of these elements: visions by a French or German boy; an intention to peacefully convert Muslims in the Holy Land to Christianity; bands of children marching to Italy; and children being sold into slavery.

    A study published in 1977[1] cast doubt on the existence of these events and many historians now believe[2] that they were not (or not primarily) children but multiple bands of "wandering poor" in Germany and France, some of whom tried to reach the Holy Land and others who never intended to do so. Early versions of events, of which there are many variations told over the centuries, are largely apocryphal.
    How is this a tragedy?

    The Spanish Inquisition et al would not have happened (torturing and condemning to death people for not converting to Catholicism)
    That's almost certainly untrue. Again, the fact that something was done using religion as an excuse does not mean it was done because of religion.

    "Various motives have been proposed for the monarchs' decision to fund the Inquisition such as increasing political authority, weakening opposition, suppressing conversos,, profiting from confiscation of the property of convicted heretics, reducing social tensions and protecting the kingdom from the danger of a fifth column."
    Spanish Inquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    . . . .9/11 happened purely because of people's religious issues.
    No, it was absolutely not the sole factor. There were plenty of factors that led up to 9/11, including our foreign policy.

    The Catholic/Protestant conflicts wouldn't have happened.
    How do you figure? You don't think there were enough reasons for countries/cultures to fight each other without religion?

    israel and Iran might not hate eachother so deeply.
    Says who?

    And people wouldn't be rioting and having hissy fits - and killing others in the process - just because an image of Mohammad was depicted in a magazine
    Instead they'd be rioting and having hissy fits because a cartoon made fun of their president, or their culture, or their favorite animal.

    If you want to believe that these things would have happened without their religions then that's you're opinion - I see that religion was a the hardcore reason and pure center of the issue.
    And I think that's a very narrow view of events.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    The wars, the murders.....
    The hope given, finding a better way to live......
    I think there's a tough metric in "good". How do you measure how much good it has caused? I think the harm is very easy to see. Religion has been used for war and oppression and persecution. Yet it can also make a lot of people feel better about themselves, and surely that is good. It can give good foundations to morality and family, and some people need that. It can provide social outlets and some people desire that. I think there is a lot of good religion itself can do. Now much of the bad stuff religion has caused was caused under theocracies. And the mixing of state and church will almost always cause the distortion and manipulation of the religion by the State to justify its actions.

    Theocracy has caused well more harm than good.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #106
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I think morality is purely related to human nature and social construct - not religion.

    You can be moral/or immoral without religion. . .just as someone can be moral/immoral *with* religion (as is evident by crimes of various degrees committed by clergy, etc).

    If you used religion *only* as a guide to morality you'll be **** up a creek - many religions can't agree on what is 'moral' and 'right' - as is evident by all the examples I've given in this thread. . . but there are many other examples that don't even touch on social-stigmas and sins (like murder, rape, etc)
    I'm aware of that, but many people are only held back due to some religion telling them it's wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Did you know that in the Weslyan Church dancing is disgraceful and immoral - so my parents discouraged us from doing it - completely.
    But in many other Christian-nominations dancing is fine and even encouraged (group dance night, etc).
    So when my Dad transferred from the Weslyan Church to the Methodist Church - he then had to explain to us all the different things we now could do (or couldn't do) in order to cleave to the Church's decision of what was 'morally acceptable' for the flock.


    Isn't that just the stupidest damn thing? Two different nominations of the same faith claiming that things are immoral/moral at the same time.

    And what's morally acceptable changes from person to person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    If religion had more of a hold we'd even be more confused as a society - so, no, I don't look to any faith or religion to tell me what's moral or immoral. Certain things are inherently unacceptable regardless of what religions you believe/don't believe in - because human nature and society says so.
    Maybe, or maybe not. Religion helps many people find purpose. They'd be lost and more confused without a God. You can't tell, which makes this whole debate stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    But, even then, you can look at different societies and cultures and come away with differences in morality - like family constructs (what to permit your kids to do: drink or don't drink) . . . is it acceptable to be nude in front of your children? (nudists VS non-nudists) . . . and so on.
    I don't see how this makes religion a bad thing. Even with these differences, there are some constants. Murder is bad, stealing is bad, ect. Yeah, people with religion have different morals. So do atheists. No one has the same exact view on morality.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Because the Man in the Sky says so.
    No, because the religion says so.

  8. #108
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Could some of you be any deeper in denial? Don't try to convince me that religion is a 100% pure and positive thing because it's not - if you're convinced it is then you're blind and foolish.

    All I'm seeing from the religious-protectors: religion is under attack - throw logic and common sense to the wind and protect Religion at all costs!

    Funny - that's the SAME mind-frame that leads to religious atrocities and conflicts to begin with.

    Find me a religion that has NO blemishes, faults or quandaries of the foul and heinous nature what so ever and I'll consider your view.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 08-16-10 at 06:45 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #109
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Could some of you be any deeper in denial? Don't try to convince me that religion is a 100% pure and positive thing because it's not - if you're convinced it is then you're blind and foolish.
    No one said that. Some of us are just defending religion against those who disagree with us.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    All I'm seeing from the religious-protectors: religion is under attack - throw logic and common sense to the wind and protect Religion at all costs!
    Where did I do this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Funny - that's the SAME mind-frame that leads to religious atrocities and conflicts to begin with.
    This mindset affects non-believers just as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Find me a religion that has NO blemishes, faults or quandaries of the foul and heinous nature what so ever and I'll consider your view.
    Show me an ideology, any ideology that lacks this.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  10. #110
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Because the Man in the Sky says so.
    This is a very childish post, and totally unnecessary.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •