View Poll Results: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think so.

    11 20.37%
  • Yes, definitely!

    9 16.67%
  • No, I don't think so.

    24 44.44%
  • No, definitely not!

    5 9.26%
  • I don't know.

    5 9.26%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 100

Thread: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    First of all, let's look at an actual map to put this in perspective, courtesy of the Village Voice.


    That's a couple blocks away from Ground Zero. I bet that within that same radius, there are at least 20 churches and synagogues. So why is this a problem? Muslims don't have the same religious freedom that Christians and Jews have?
    The same rights as the greek church that was destroyed on 911 yet they are not being allowed to rebuild.

  2. #72
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    The same rights as the greek church that was destroyed on 911 yet they are not being allowed to rebuild.
    Is that because of some zoning/security reason, or is it because it's a Greek church?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Is that because of some zoning/security reason, or is it because it's a Greek church?
    What does it matter? Why not the president defending a church that actually has a right to be there. Maybe because they are Christian they do not count.

  4. #74
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,292
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Is that because of some zoning/security reason, or is it because it's a Greek church?
    It's because negotiations for land fell through. Has exactly jack and **** to do with it being a church. From the actual sound of it, they got greedy, asked for too much, and the Port Authority said no.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's because negotiations for land fell through. Has exactly jack and **** to do with it being a church. From the actual sound of it, they got greedy, asked for too much, and the Port Authority said no.
    No the port authority is dictating the size of the building. From my link


    Trouble emerged after St. Nicholas announced its plans to build a traditional Greek Orthodox church building, 24,000 square feet in size, topped with a grand dome. Port Authority officials told the church to cut back the size of the building and the height of the proposed dome, limiting it to rising no higher than the World Trade Center memorial. The deal fell apart for goodin March 2009, when the Port Authority abruptly ended the talks after refusing to allow church officials to review plans for the garage and screening area underneath. Sixteen months later, the two sides have still not met to resume negotiations.

    St. Nicholas Church’s difficulty in getting approvals to rebuild stands in stark contrast to the treatment that the developers of the proposed Cordoba mosque have received. New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, state Atty. Gen. Andrew Cuomo, and a raft of city officials have all come out publicly in favor of building the mosque, and the city’s Landmarks and Preservation Commission recently voted unanimously to deny protection to the building currently occupying the site where the mosque is to be built.

  6. #76
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,292
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    No the port authority is dictating the size of the building. From my link


    Trouble emerged after St. Nicholas announced its plans to build a traditional Greek Orthodox church building, 24,000 square feet in size, topped with a grand dome. Port Authority officials told the church to cut back the size of the building and the height of the proposed dome, limiting it to rising no higher than the World Trade Center memorial. The deal fell apart for goodin March 2009, when the Port Authority abruptly ended the talks after refusing to allow church officials to review plans for the garage and screening area underneath. Sixteen months later, the two sides have still not met to resume negotiations.

    St. Nicholas Church’s difficulty in getting approvals to rebuild stands in stark contrast to the treatment that the developers of the proposed Cordoba mosque have received. New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, state Atty. Gen. Andrew Cuomo, and a raft of city officials have all come out publicly in favor of building the mosque, and the city’s Landmarks and Preservation Commission recently voted unanimously to deny protection to the building currently occupying the site where the mosque is to be built.
    Real news article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/ny...urch.html?_r=1

    The authority now says that St. Nicholas is free to rebuild the church on its own parcel at 155 Cedar Street, just east of West Street. The authority will, in turn, use eminent domain to get control of the land beneath that parcel so it can move ahead with building foundation walls and a bomb-screening center for trucks, buses and cars entering the area.

    “We made an extraordinarily generous offer to resolve this issue and spent eight months trying to finalize that offer, and the church wanted even more on top of that,” said Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for the Port Authority. “They have now given us no choice but to move on to ensure the site is not delayed. The church continues to have the right to rebuild at their original site, and we will pay fair market value for the underground space beneath that building.”
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yet you link says the same as mine.


    Last July, the Port Authority and the Greek Orthodox Church announced a tentative plan to rebuild the church just east of its original site, at Liberty and Greenwich Streets. The authority agreed to provide the church with land for a 24,000-square-foot house of worship, far larger than the original, and $20 million. Since the church would be built in a park over the bomb-screening center, the authority also agreed to pay up to $40 million for a blast-proof platform and foundation.

    In recent negotiations, the authority cut the size of the church slightly and told church officials that its dome could not rise higher than the trade center memorial. The church, in turn, wanted the right to review plans for both the garage with the bomb-screening center and the park, something the authority was unwilling to provide. More important, authority officials said, the church wanted the $20 million up front, rather than in stages. Officials said they feared that the church, which has raised about $2 million for its new building, would come back to the authority for more.

  8. #78
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,292
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    The thing is, as the portion I quoted made clear, is that the problem is not that it is a church, it's that they where greedy.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The thing is, as the portion I quoted made clear, is that the problem is not that it is a church, it's that they where greedy.
    The port authority offered the land now they want to dictate what can be built.

  10. #80
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Will Obama's support of the Mosque hurt him/the dems in November?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    The port authority offered the land now they want to dictate what can be built.
    Because in Port Authority's opinion the Church wanted too much. It had nothing to do with the fact it was a church.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •