View Poll Results: Have you filed for Unemployment?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes right now

    3 10.34%
  • Yes in the past year

    4 13.79%
  • No I have a job or N/A (retired for ex)

    20 68.97%
  • No but I have no job

    2 6.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

  1. #1
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    With much shame I finally caved in and filed for unemployment. I stubbornly refused to file for it at first, I don't know if it is pride or what but the idea of it pissed me off. My birthday is coming up and everyone keeps asking me, "What do you want for your birthday?" to which I reply, "A job."

    "Oh nothing else you sure?"

    "Naw I don't need anything but a job and I'll be happy."

    I went over a month without a job and it was starting to get to a point where logic had to override my pride. I got to say, I am impressed with how much I am getting, but the jobs are opening up around here, and I actually got some interviews today. So who here has had to do this as well?
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  2. #2
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    I have been at the same job for 10 years now (with some promotions, but the same place). I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

  3. #3
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I have been at the same job for 10 years now (with some promotions, but the same place). I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
    i have never been unemployed when it was not my choice. i am also very blessed.

  4. #4
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    With much shame I finally caved in and filed for unemployment. I stubbornly refused to file for it at first, I don't know if it is pride or what but the idea of it pissed me off. My birthday is coming up and everyone keeps asking me, "What do you want for your birthday?" to which I reply, "A job."

    "Oh nothing else you sure?"

    "Naw I don't need anything but a job and I'll be happy."

    I went over a month without a job and it was starting to get to a point where logic had to override my pride. I got to say, I am impressed with how much I am getting, but the jobs are opening up around here, and I actually got some interviews today. So who here has had to do this as well?
    where approximately in KY are you?

  5. #5
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    where approximately in KY are you?
    Long story short, because of raising cost of living and such I had to move out of the most productive area of Kentucky (greater cincinnati) and move about an hour away east from there to the more rural area around Augusta and Maysville. The biggest advantage of living out here is the cost of living, wheras the biggest advantage of the greater cincinnati area is jobs. However even so, the jobs are still very scarce all around.

    Currently in Kentucky we have a higher unemployment rate than average of 11% and several people are underemployed. I wouldn't mind the underemployed part though. I might actually be working for a commercial tobbacco farmer here soon, and waiting to get a call back from a mine and a few other places.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  6. #6
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Long story short, because of raising cost of living and such I had to move out of the most productive area of Kentucky (greater cincinnati) and move about an hour away east from there to the more rural area around Augusta and Maysville. The biggest advantage of living out here is the cost of living, wheras the biggest advantage of the greater cincinnati area is jobs. However even so, the jobs are still very scarce all around.

    Currently in Kentucky we have a higher unemployment rate than average of 11% and several people are underemployed. I wouldn't mind the underemployed part though. I might actually be working for a commercial tobbacco farmer here soon, and waiting to get a call back from a mine and a few other places.
    you could always commute. i lived in a small town and commuted 75 miles each way every day.........it was a pain but it was also a great job. what field are you in?

  7. #7
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    you could always commute. i lived in a small town and commuted 75 miles each way every day.........it was a pain but it was also a great job. what field are you in?
    The vehicle situation eeeh not so good. Commuting is not a big option right now. I couldn't see myself traveling 75 miles for the kinds of jobs that are available in my area. Being 25, I'm not really to established in any one job. I make/made side money from writing and designing online but I had not received my degree to actually go do it professionally around here. Other than that normally manufacturing or industrial print operation.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  8. #8
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    I was unemployed by choice for almost a year, didn't draw unemployment.

    I drew for about 4 months at the end of last year and the very beginning of this one after the seasonal work I did in Alaska, but found a job quickly once I left the Florida Keys. (no ****ing IT work in the Keys LOL)

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    John, are you former military?

    I've been at the same company for 11 years. I'm lucky.

  10. #10
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,025

    Re: Are you on or have you been on unemployment the past year?

    No I have a job or N/A (retired for ex)

    Retired debt free, makes it easier with reduced income.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •