View Poll Results: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuary schools & daycare

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 15.79%
  • No

    62 81.58%
  • Maybe/other/I do not know

    2 2.63%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 185

Thread: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & daycares

  1. #51
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    St. Peter was married?
    yup. Matthew 8:14 When Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw Peter's mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.

    nor was he the only married pope.

    I am not going to rely on anti-Catholic websites for my information
    um. i don't know about anti-catholic sites, but the fact that the Catholic Church's much later decision to forbid it's priests marriage was based at least partly on the very real concern about the arising of theocratic dynasties is pretty much established history.

    they had some scriptural basis for doing so - Paul initially taught that it was better to remain unmarried because a man who is married must divide his time between the Lord and his family; whereas a single man can devote himself wholly to the service of God. however, as time moved on and it became clear that Jesus wasn't coming back Just Yet, he began to modify his approach, and by the time of his letters to Timothy he was teaching that clerics should be married, but only once.

    You claim that it was outlawed in the 11th century... However, there are Councils and Synods centuries earlier than that relating to the celebacy of the priesthood...
    as i understand it, starting in the 4th Century.

  2. #52
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    I dont think they should be banned. Authorities have a right to be weary, but with the necessary precautions, i dont see why not. Not all Catholics are child molesting bigots. There are many nice Catholics and i think such a move will send out the wrong signals.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #53
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Yes, and it would be nice if we took away their tax free BS.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  4. #54
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuary schools & daycares?

    After all a tiny percentage of catholic priests molested some kids. Letting them build near elementuary schools and day cares might be too much of a temptation and would be offensive to those who were abused by child molesters.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    No.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    No vote
    This is silly beyond belief.
    What brings this on?
    Oh, sorry, I had forgotten the America's "freedom of religion" applies only to "christian " religions.

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    Yes, and it would be nice if we took away their tax free BS.
    I like them having that "tax free BS". If they claim it then they cannot officially back anyone in politics.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    No, that's a stupid idea. Priests who molest kids should be thrown in jail just like any other child molester, then it wouldn't be an issue.
    Being thrown in jail is not the answer, does not solve anything.
    These problems must be bought out into the open, not covered up.
    Priests should marry - the churches should "grow up", this is no longer the first century.

  8. #58
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I like them having that "tax free BS". If they claim it then they cannot officially back anyone in politics.
    And as the Catholic Church espouses separation of Church and State (something that has been advocated by popes at least since fifteen centuries ago), there is no problem with this from Catholic... unlike some Fundie Protestant sects...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    It is exactly comparable. A handful of Muslims fly into the buildings just like a handful of catholics priests molest some kids. The only difference is that when a group of Muslims that do not have anything to do with the terrorist want to build a mosque everyone acts as though they are building the mosque to rub the 9-11 attacks in their face. But yet if the catholic church wanted to build a church near a day care, elementary school, preschool a chuckie cheese pizza or some other place where lots of children hang out no one would give a rats ass. They would probably say "oh how wonderful the catholic church is building a church in that area, they'll probably help out a lot of people". But some Muslims want a build a mosque and a lot of idiots act as though it was al queada, hezbollah, the taliban or some other muslim terrorist group building the mosque trying to rub the 9-11 attacks in the noses of the victims and their relatives.
    Good argument, James.
    I, for one, feel that the Islamics never did as much as they could to publicly condemn the terrorism, nor do more than just condemn Osama bin Laden but capture and imprison him.
    Maybe I am wrong about this, maybe Islam is fractured into totally separate sects, that the moderates can do nothing.
    I do feel that Islam can do much to improve their public image.

  10. #60
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yup. Matthew 8:14 When Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw Peter's mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.

    nor was he the only married pope.
    But how often do you see references to his 'wife' in the New Testament? In the early Church, there were priests who were married but they were still called on to maintain a chaste life. There are also a handful of married priests in the Church today, but similarly, they are called to maintain a chaste life. The early Church was not nearly as centralized as it is today (and the level of centralization today is often misunderstood) and there were different synods and councils accepted by different regions prior to the fourth century. Also, keep in mind that while the Church often forbade things in Canon law, it was not uncommon for those in distant regions to not follow its dictates strictly. This was true even to the 16th century and beyond. It doesn't mean the Church condoned it, but there were times when the Church could do little about it.

    Even today, while those in the permanent deaconate are permitted to be married, they are not permitted to remarry should their spuse predecese them. Elements of the Eastern Church follow this rule regarding priests and there is also evidence to show that this too has antecedents in the early Church. However, in the Western Church, by the end of the fourth century, it was generally agreed that marriage of the priesthood was not to be permitted -- and it had nothing to do with those whole land thing in the Middle Ages that Protestant revisionists have proposed for centuries...



    um. i don't know about anti-catholic sites, but the fact that the Catholic Church's much later decision to forbid it's priests marriage was based at least partly on the very real concern about the arising of theocratic dynasties is pretty much established history.
    A theory that has little basis in fact.

    they had some scriptural basis for doing so - Paul initially taught that it was better to remain unmarried because a man who is married must divide his time between the Lord and his family; whereas a single man can devote himself wholly to the service of God. however, as time moved on and it became clear that Jesus wasn't coming back Just Yet, he began to modify his approach, and by the time of his letters to Timothy he was teaching that clerics should be married, but only once.
    Not some scriptural basis, SIGNIFICANT scriptural basis...
    Last edited by ludahai; 08-14-10 at 12:19 PM.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •