View Poll Results: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuary schools & daycare

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 15.79%
  • No

    62 81.58%
  • Maybe/other/I do not know

    2 2.63%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 185

Thread: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & daycares

  1. #41
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    It is exactly comparable. A handful of muslims fly into the buildings just like a handful of catholics priests molest some kids. The only difference is that when a group of muslims that do not have anything to do with the terrorist want to build a mosque everyone acts as though they are building the mosque to rub the 9-11 attacks in their face. But yet if the catholic church wanted to build a church near a day care, elementary school, preschool a chuckie cheese pizza or some other place where lots of children hang out no one would give a rats ass. They would probably say "oh how wonderful the catholic church is building a church in that area, they'll probably help out a lot of people". But some muslims want a build a mosque and a lot of idiots act as though it was al queada, hezbollah, the taliban or some other muslim terrorist group building the mosque trying to rub the 9-11 attacks in the noses of the victims and their relatives.
    If I could thank you more than once for this post and this comparable situation you have brought up, I would do it in a heartbeat. Many people who feel building a mosque near ground zero is an insult I'm guessing think that Muslim terrorists attacked America. Actually terrorists who happened to be Muslim, and who ignored the principles of their faith, are the ones who attacked America. Big difference in my mind.
    Last edited by Jucon; 08-13-10 at 03:39 PM.

  2. #42
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    Seems "the point" of this tongue in cheek "poll" went right over many peoples head. Nice casting Jamesrage.
    I can't even understand how that's possible -- I picked it up just from the title -- but you're right of course.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #43
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Absolutely incorrect and here’s why.

    First, your scenario that you lay out does not include in any way that Catholics actually molested any children AT said school or AT said day care. However, Muslims unquestionably DID attack the World Trade Center. To properly compare the two people would have to be stating that Muslims should be barred from building mosques near ANY sky scrapers because some muslims attacked a sky scraper before. To date, I’ve heard exactly zero people suggesting such a thing.

    Second, part of the reason SOME people are upset about the Mosque being built in New York is due to their belief of that location having a sort of “monument” or “national land mark” type of feel, similar to the U.S.S. Arizon in Hawaii, feel to it. That it is a place that people across the entire country will, and already have, wish to travel to to remember the history that happened there and to confront their emotions that the event stirs up. Based on that, SOME of us feels that placing a holy site dedicated to the ideology that was used, granted in a way that is considered extreme, to justify and incite those attacks and those that participated in it is adding undue additional burden on the emotions of thousands and thousands that will travel there for emotional release and remembrance and will then be confronted with triggers that dredge up the worst memories of that time.

    Even if we assumed your analogy wasn’t flawed and that the daycare or school had kids that were actually molested by catholics attending them it would still not be a fair, direct, exact comparison to suggest one must be for one and against another because of the above reason. A place that was frequented by a number of molested kids is not going to become essentially a national land mark that people the country over attempt to visit and should be free of triggers that stir up the worst of feelings or engorge the worst of feelings further when arriving there. I have a historical correlation I can point at with regards to it happening for Ground Zero, by pointing to the Arizona. I can even point to Ground Zero and people visiting there over the past decade. Point me to a situation where a place where kids were molested or killed is frequently visited by thousands upon thousands of people yearly for the purpose of seeing said place?

    Thirdly, the scale. I think it’s realistic to say that there’s few Americans over the age of 8 that don’t know of 9/11 in some form, shape, or way. A molestation can happen in a town and 5 years later the majority of those in that town barely remember it unless they were connected to it in some way. The amount of people its going to affect in a negative way is another legitimate difference and another legitimate way one could feel differently with regards to the banning, or the tactlessness, of one but not the other.

    So I have given you three distinct ways in which your scenario….that a catholic church opens up next to a place that is frequented by children without any mention of any possible Catholic molestation of any of said children….is not directly and equally comparable to a mosque at ground zero….a situation where said religion unquestionably had an impact on that specific location. Please, if I’m wrong in any of those arguments, highlight it for me. If I’m not wrong but you have a counter, please enlighten me. However simply saying “They’re the same” doesn’t exactly cut it.
    A few things, Zyph.

    1. Muslims (as a group) did not attack the WTC. Terrorists did. Specifically, Al Qaeda. Saying "Muslims unquestionably DID attack the World Trade Center" is too general a comment to be totally accurate.
    2. If a few Catholics who held extreme views molested children in a day care, how would that reflect on other Catholics? Why should they refrain from opening up their church near said day care.
    3. How far around the day care would the "no church" dictum go? Next door? A block away? Three blocks away? The next town over? A whole different state? Armenia?
    4. What would the limit for building the church be? A year after the molestation occurs? 2 years? 5 years? Nine years? 20 years? 100 years? 15 billion years? Seriously, how long and how far would become acceptable to the people who blame the whole catholic church for the actions of a few extremists?
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 08-13-10 at 04:05 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #44
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I can't even understand how that's possible -- I picked it up just from the title -- but you're right of course.
    As Robert A Heinlein said (via his character Lazurus Long) :

    "Never underestimaie the power of human stupidity."

  5. #45
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    from 1? surely you are kidding, right? And no, they were not permitted by church law to marry in the middle of the Middle Ages... In fact, councils as early as the beginning of the fourth century were already forbidding marriage by priests... try again...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #46
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    it is NOT just slightly similar, it's nearly identical, with the exception of a few added books.
    Actually, it isn't books added by Catholics, it was books subtracted by Protestants...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #47
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    from 1? surely you are kidding, right? And no, they were not permitted by church law to marry in the middle of the Middle Ages... In fact, councils as early as the beginning of the fourth century were already forbidding marriage by priests... try again...
    Well the first Pope was a married man, so I guess we can safely say it was permitted then. The actual outlaw came of it later on when State and Church worried about the passing of property to sons and daughters. But whatever, you can choose to believe what you want. Do a bit of research and find out for yourself.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #48
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well the first Pope was a married man, so I guess we can safely say it was permitted then. The actual outlaw came of it later on when State and Church worried about the passing of property to sons and daughters. But whatever, you can choose to believe what you want. Do a bit of research and find out for yourself.
    St. Peter was married?

    I am not going to rely on anti-Catholic websites for my information... You claim that it was outlawed in the 11th century... However, there are Councils and Synods centuries earlier than that relating to the celebacy of the priesthood...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #49
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    yes, they have done that. not, however, becasue they ACCEPT it, but because they didn't want to deal with scandal. and that culture is changing.
    That culture has only changed because they're being dragged, kicking and screaming by the general public. Had it not been for the billions of dollars they've lost and will lose to lawsuits, they'd still be doing it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #50
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    How many people voted no on this one and yes on the Muslim one?
    funny you should bring that up. there was, in fact, a Catholic convent opened near the site of the death camp of Auschwitz. the Jewish population of survivors complained, the order in particular (forget the name) pointed out that at the site they were near, the victims had been mostly Polish Catholics, and the Vatican ordered them out anyway, saying that it was right to allow the Jews their sacred site of mourning.

    so there is precedent here, and the Catholic church acted with the grace we are not seeing from the Muslim Community today (as of yet).

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •