View Poll Results: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuary schools & daycare

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 15.79%
  • No

    62 81.58%
  • Maybe/other/I do not know

    2 2.63%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 185

Thread: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & daycares

  1. #151
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayca

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    As you think back, was it really a "decent number" or only a couple who posted a lot? I don't doubt what you say either way. It was never my argument though. Does it really make a difference? It seems pretty apparent that those who support mosque don't see any argument against it as being legit.
    It was a decent number
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #152
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayca

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Suggesting that Catholics shouldn't be allowed around "elementuary" schools (is that where people go to learn the basics of running a mortuary? ) and day cares is pretty inflammatory, and I'm not even Catholic.
    No it's not. It's certainly silly and has no real basis for consideration. But it's not inflammatory.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #153
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayca

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No it's not. It's certainly silly and has no real basis for consideration. But it's not inflammatory.
    Really? I know a few atheists that are inflamed my much, much less than the suggestion that they're all potential child molesters.

  4. #154
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-31-11 @ 11:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    180

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    While most diocese have taken very strong step to protect children, public schools don't appear to have done much. There is much greater public awareness, however, so it is possible that public school are safer today than they where 40 years ago, but I have not seen evidence of it. Information is hard to find on the safety improvement of public schools. Other research, though, shows that even at that time priest were rarely abusive compared to others, and now are very much less likely to abuse, as in less than 1/10th as likely. So, the reality is, that Catholic schools were probably safer 40 years ago, and are certainly safer today. Yes, this is a tragic shadow in the history of the Church. Moving on, we should keep awareness up without slandering the Church so that the public school eventually come around, afterall, lawsuits aren't as lucrative.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayca

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Really? I know a few atheists that are inflamed my much, much less than the suggestion that they're all potential child molesters.
    I don't. Certainly they cannot deny the problems that they've had. But the general statement itself carries so little weight to it, that I would not find it inflammatory. It's a stupid statement and nothing more. Not worth wasting one's emotions on.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #156
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayca

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Really? I know a few atheists that are inflamed my much, much less than the suggestion that they're all potential child molesters.
    There's no evidence that any significant percentage of atheists are child molestors. That's not true of Catholic priests. We have lots and lots of evidence that statistically significant numbers of Catholic priests can and do molest children. Not all by any means, not even most, but far, far too many.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #157
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    While most diocese have taken very strong step to protect children, public schools don't appear to have done much. There is much greater public awareness, however, so it is possible that public school are safer today than they where 40 years ago, but I have not seen evidence of it. Information is hard to find on the safety improvement of public schools. Other research, though, shows that even at that time priest were rarely abusive compared to others, and now are very much less likely to abuse, as in less than 1/10th as likely. So, the reality is, that Catholic schools were probably safer 40 years ago, and are certainly safer today. Yes, this is a tragic shadow in the history of the Church. Moving on, we should keep awareness up without slandering the Church so that the public school eventually come around, afterall, lawsuits aren't as lucrative.
    Research? Research by whom? The catholic church? To my knowledge the only study with any weight dealing with this issue was the John Jay Report. John Jay College did a study using people who had reported molestation incidents. The study did nothing to show the actual size of the problem, how abusive priests were, or how rare the incidents actually were. Maybe you could show us the research? If anything the study showed that the church and in general the police departments had done little to actually stop the issue. They buried it deeply with the help of what I can only assume were catholic cops. What percentage of priests were prosecuted for child molestation? Single digit percentages. The catholic church did what it has done historically and rewrote history in order to avoid its skeletons and that "s" word catholic leaders hate so much. You know which one, "scandal".

    It's almost sad that the Washington Post uses the John Jay Report and says this:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041602026.html

    Sexual abuse of minors is not the province of the Catholic Church alone. About 4 percent of priests committed an act of sexual abuse on a minor between 1950 and 2002, according to a study being conducted by John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. That is roughly consistent with data on many similar professions.

    An extensive 2007 investigation by the Associated Press showed that sexual abuse of children in U.S. schools was "widespread," and most of it was never reported or punished. And in Portland, Ore., last week, a jury reached a $1.4 million verdict against the Boy Scouts of America in a trial that showed that since the 1920s, Scouts officials kept "perversion files" on suspected abusers but kept them secret.
    That's not what the study says AT ALL. 4% is the number of priests who were reported. We do not actually know how many actually abused children because unlike robbery, murder unless the victim(s) step up, it's as if the crime never happened.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 10-18-11 at 02:37 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #158
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayc

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Research? Research by whom? The catholic church? To my knowledge the only study with any weight dealing with this issue was the John Jay Report. John Jay College did a study using people who had reported molestation incidents. The study did nothing to show the actual size of the problem, how abusive priests were, or how rare the incidents actually were. Maybe you could show us the research? If anything the study showed that the church and in general the police departments had done little to actually stop the issue. They buried it deeply with the help of what I can only assume were catholic cops. What percentage of priests were prosecuted for child molestation? Single digit percentages. The catholic church did what it has done historically and rewrote history in order to avoid its skeletons and that "s" word catholic leaders hate so much. You know which one, "scandal".
    AP: Sexual Misconduct Plagues US Schools
    Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males - The Daily Beast
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #159
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayca

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't. Certainly they cannot deny the problems that they've had. But the general statement itself carries so little weight to it, that I would not find it inflammatory. It's a stupid statement and nothing more. Not worth wasting one's emotions on.
    Cephus has kinda stepped on your point here, hasn't he? Obviously he took the suggestion that Catholics shouldn't be allowed around kids quite seriously...and also quite positively, I might add.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There's no evidence that any significant percentage of atheists are child molestors. That's not true of Catholic priests. We have lots and lots of evidence that statistically significant numbers of Catholic priests can and do molest children. Not all by any means, not even most, but far, far too many.
    You completely missed what I was saying. I was not at all saying atheists are molesters, I was saying that several atheists become inflamed at far less than what has been said about Catholics here. BTW, note that the thread title is not limited to only priests, but rather all Catholics.

    BTW, do you think there's a "statistically significant" percentage of Islamists who engage in terrorism?
    Last edited by X Factor; 10-18-11 at 02:45 AM.

  10. #160
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should catholics be banned from building churches near elementuaryschools & dayca

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There's no evidence that any significant percentage of atheists are child molestors. That's not true of Catholic priests. We have lots and lots of evidence that statistically significant numbers of Catholic priests can and do molest children. Not all by any means, not even most, but far, far too many.
    Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males - The Daily Beast
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •