View Poll Results: Do you agree with John Stossel?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Agree with John Stossel, this part of the Civil Rights Act Should Be Repealed

    35 50.72%
  • Absolutely NOT!!!!

    30 43.48%
  • I Don't Know

    4 5.80%
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 291

Thread: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights Act

  1. #71
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The rules were created to combat dispicable racism and the scumbags who carried on as such. The rules are necessary. John Stossel is a disgrace and needs to lose his job over it.


    GTFO! Having an opinion should cost him his job? He's not a racist nor is Rand Paul. They along with many who share the same view are anti-racism. I think too many people are scared of freedom.

    What he's saying is the market would deal with it. I know I wouldn't support a place as most reasonable people wouldn't support a place that discriminates. So in time, they would lose business and have to close down.

    As opposed to expanding the scope of federal government.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  2. #72
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    I will acknowledge it. First; America has never had a free market thus, you cannot blame such process. Second; treating people as second class citizens because of their culture is not right but, laws will never change people minds. Third; it is different for a state to uphold equality when it comes to state functions and public areas and it is different for a state to force people to do what they do not want to do with themselves and their property. I do not have you let you into my house for any reason, period. Now, do you think it is right for the state to change that?
    No. But everybody agrees that the government should have some say over what private businesses can and cannot do. A doctor can't lie to you and tell you that you have cancer in order to make money off of you, right? A liquor store can't sell alcohol to children, right? Just because businesses are privately owned and operated doesn't mean they're tiny soverign nations.

    I'm not suggestion that this law changes people's minds, I'm suggesting that this law upholds people's constitutional right to be held as equal and free. My ancestors were neither equal or free throughout my Grandfather's childhood, and that was largely due to the practices of private business.

    There are clearly a lot of white Christian people contributing to this thread, because anybody with Jewish or Muslim or black ancestors would immediately understand why Stossel's idea is such a bad one.
    A working class hero is something to be

  3. #73
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    So whites can't be victims of racism? That's funny because I've dealt with racism as an adolecent. I hate racism but the law is not the way to bring about change. Boycotts, education, communication are how to bring about social change.

    Plus, whites today are legally discriminated against today *cough affirmitive action cough*.

    A private business is the same as a home IMHO.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  4. #74
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    No. But everybody agrees that the government should have some say over what private businesses can and cannot do.
    I will try to make this clear. I hold that a private business (an individual’s property) can do pretty much anything it wants unless it violates someone else’s rights. If I am lied to by a private business, I can sue and have them arrested for fraud. If a private business steals from me, I can sue and have them arrested for thief. If a private business harms me or my children I can sue and have them arrested for assault. Now, not allowing someone into my property does not violate their rights because, they do not have a right to be on my property without my permission. It’s just like my house; I can say who comes into my house and who does not.
    I do not agree with racism nor do I practice racism but, I will not bend on individual liberty and private property rights.

    I am an atheist and not white, Sir.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  5. #75
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So whites can't be victims of racism? That's funny because I've dealt with racism as an adolecent. I hate racism but the law is not the way to bring about change. Boycotts, education, communication are how to bring about social change.
    I didn't say that whites can't be the victim of racism. White people like you and I are just far less likely to have ancestors who struggled because of racism. That's obvious, don't put words in my mouth or try to make it seem like I'm saying something radical or absurd.

    You say that boycotts and education are how we should bring about social change. If that worked, we wouldn't have needed the civil rights act. You still haven't really touched my point, though. My ancestors were not able to live a comfortable life simply because they were Jewish. There were no boycotts, there were no consequences for the business owners who turned them away because they were Jews. It was only when government stepped in and required business owners to treat them as equals that they became equals.

    I'm so sick of hearing the libertarian "it should" attitude. People should just boycott. It should be a matter of educating people. It should be left to private efforts. We tried that. It didn't work. We fixed it -- and nothing short of government intervention could have solved the problem. End of story.

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    I will try to make this clear. I hold that a private business (an individual's property) can do pretty much anything it wants unless it violates someone else's rights. If I am lied to by a private business, I can sue and have them arrested for fraud. If a private business steals from me, I can sue and have them arrested for thief. If a private business harms me or my children I can sue and have them arrested for assault. Now, not allowing someone into my property does not violate their rights because, they do not have a right to be on my property without my permission. It's just like my house; I can say who comes into my house and who does not.
    I do not agree with racism nor do I practice racism but, I will not bend on individual liberty and private property rights.

    I am an atheist and not white, Sir.
    I understand what you're saying but deciding who can and can't come into your business based on race, religion, or gender DOES violate their rights. Maybe you don't agree that it should, but it does. And the reason it does is clear and simple: the government has an obligation to uphold people's basic rights. Having private businesses discriminate against a particular race or religion creates inequality and that is wrong. The problem didn't just work itself out through private efforts. I said it twice before, and I'll say it again. It wasn't working. The government fixed it. We need to move on.
    Last edited by Mustachio; 08-13-10 at 05:00 AM.

  6. #76
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I understand what you're saying but deciding who can and can't come into your business based on race, religion, or gender DOES violate their rights. Maybe you don't agree that it should, but it does. And the reason it does is clear and simple: the government has an obligation to uphold people's basic rights. Having private businesses discriminate against a particular race or religion creates inequality and that is wrong. The problem didn't just work itself out through private efforts. I said it twice before, and I'll say it again. It wasn't working. The government fixed it. We need to move on.
    You have no right to access my property. I can keep you out of my house for any reason, be it racist or not and this concept works for private business. I mean, what about the rights of people who do not like shoes or like to wear shirts? You might think this point is silly but, it is all about the rights of the private property owner. The government does not have an obligation to forfeit my private property rights. I do not know what fantasy world you live in but the government did not fix it. Who do you think mandated slavery? It was individuals like you and I who worked hard to end slavery but, the government mandated it until it become a tool to winning to civil war. It was individuals like you and I who worked hard to fight separate but equal doctrine but, it was the government who supported it.
    I agree that government should keep it all equal when it comes to government functions, government building and public places.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  7. #77
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    No. But everybody agrees that the government should have some say over what private businesses can and cannot do. A doctor can't lie to you and tell you that you have cancer in order to make money off of you, right? A liquor store can't sell alcohol to children, right? Just because businesses are privately owned and operated doesn't mean they're tiny soverign nations.

    I'm not suggestion that this law changes people's minds, I'm suggesting that this law upholds people's constitutional right to be held as equal and free. My ancestors were neither equal or free throughout my Grandfather's childhood, and that was largely due to the practices of private business.

    There are clearly a lot of white Christian people contributing to this thread, because anybody with Jewish or Muslim or black ancestors would immediately understand why Stossel's idea is such a bad one.
    Nothing that happened to you family in prior years was stopped by a law.
    It happened on its own.
    I prefer freedom to be a complete jerk over people being forced to be nice to you.

    And that's coming from a Jew.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #78
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Stossel is a moron. You want to do business with the public? Using public infrastructure? Then do so minus your inbred moronic bigotry or don't do business at all. Period.

  9. #79
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    Stossel is a moron. You want to do business with the public? Using public infrastructure? Then do so minus your inbred moronic bigotry or don't do business at all. Period.
    Who's forcing you to go to a store with a racist policy?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #80
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Who's forcing you to go to a store with a racist policy?
    Thankls for completely missing the point. Bigots don't have a "right" to ply their trade in a public venue. Don't like it? Too effen bad.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •