View Poll Results: Do you agree with John Stossel?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Agree with John Stossel, this part of the Civil Rights Act Should Be Repealed

    35 50.72%
  • Absolutely NOT!!!!

    30 43.48%
  • I Don't Know

    4 5.80%
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 291

Thread: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights Act

  1. #171
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm guessing your great-grandmother wasn't raising your grandfather post CRA, so I don't understand what you think this proves.

    So your theory is that a repeal of this particular provision would instantly result in 1900's-era social prejudices?
    1. Because my Jewish Grandfather raised my father in a post CRA era, where they did not face the same problems. Am I equating correlation with causation? There's a small chance, but seeing as this happened in the Twin Cities in the 50s and 60s, one of the most anti-semitic areas in the entire united states, and they still didn't have to deal with the same crap that my great grandmother had to deal with in Tulsa during the 30s and 40s, it's easy to credit the CRA - including the portion Stossel is referencing - with this discrepancy.

    2. No, I think it would have a very limited impact, all of which would be negative.
    A working class hero is something to be

  2. #172
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    It's disheartening to think that the majority of people in this forum agree with Stossel someone whom sold out journalistic integrity for personal gain years ago.
    1) I didn't vote in your poll but I don't actually agree it should be repealed, albeit for different reasons than stated.

    2) How do Stossel's past journalistic decisions affect the truth or falsity of his current statements?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #173
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    1. Because my Jewish Grandfather raised my father in a post CRA era, where they did not face the same problems. Am I equating correlation with causation? There's a small chance, but seeing as this happened in the Twin Cities in the 50s and 60s, one of the most anti-semitic areas in the entire united states, and they still didn't have to deal with the same crap that my great grandmother had to deal with in Tulsa during the 30s and 40s, it's easy to credit the CRA - including the portion Stossel is referencing - with this discrepancy.
    The CRA was enacted in 1964, so it's doubtful that it had anything to do with a more pleasant upbringing in the 50's and 60's.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #174
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    [QUOTE=Jucon;1058918170]Maybe I missed it, but I have yet to see someone respond to my request, which I hope someone will respond to...

    Someone please give a situation where a non-racist/non-prejudice person is currently forbidden to refuse service to someone under the Civil Rights Act.

    So you want us to give you an example of a situation where a law that prohibits bias based on race, color or country of origin, prevents someone from refusing service to another person based on something other than race, color, or country of origin.
    Huh? I don't get it.
    From the ashes.

  5. #175
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    [QUOTE=Phoenix;1058918300]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I have yet to see someone respond to my request, which I hope someone will respond to...

    Someone please give a situation where a non-racist/non-prejudice person is currently forbidden to refuse service to someone under the Civil Rights Act.

    So you want us to give you an example of a situation where a law that prohibits bias based on race, color or country of origin, prevents someone from refusing service to another person based on something other than race, color, or country of origin.
    Huh? I don't get it.
    I'm not sure how else to explain it... A non-race/religion related situation where it's currently illegal to refuse service to someone because of this law (Better?). If there are no situations like this, I say don't repeal the law.

    I just don't see the point in repealing the law... so we can more clearly identify the racists? Personally, I'd prefer them to remain in the shadows.
    Last edited by Jucon; 08-13-10 at 09:17 PM.

  6. #176
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    It's disheartening to think that the majority of people in this forum agree with Stossel someone whom sold out journalistic integrity for personal gain years ago.
    Shooting the messenger doesn't do anything to bolster your argument.

  7. #177
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    He's very open with his bias, as opposed to other reporters.
    Since he jumped ship to FOX News he can say whatever he wants you mean.

    Also it's disheartening that people would agree to get their rights taken away. Where would it stop? A hospital or pharmacy could refuse a certain race or whatever service. What if it was a white guy in a Hispanic neighborhood? I guess buses should refuse to seat mexicans, could make black bus, white bus, mexican bus. It would be counterproductive to our nation to repeal anything in the Civil Rights Act and quite simply, it is all rooted within bigotry and not a legitimate reason.

    If one of you can give me a legitimate reason for why you wouldn't serve a black guy go right ahead. I'm all ears.
    Last edited by JohnWOlin; 08-13-10 at 09:50 PM.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  8. #178
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Since he jumped ship to FOX News he can say whatever he wants you mean.
    He wanted to make his own show, tailored to libertarian thinking.
    It doesn't matter where he does it, as long as he does it.

    It's great because we don't have a whole lot out there for us.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #179
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Since he jumped ship to FOX News he can say whatever he wants you mean.
    Most reporters say whatever they want and don't discose their bias. Look at Katie Couric, Meredith Vieira, etc.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #180
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Most reporters say whatever they want and don't discose their bias. Look at Katie Couric, Meredith Vieira, etc.
    We get two or three tv shows and people complain about bias with our crew.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •