View Poll Results: Do you agree with John Stossel?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Agree with John Stossel, this part of the Civil Rights Act Should Be Repealed

    35 50.72%
  • Absolutely NOT!!!!

    30 43.48%
  • I Don't Know

    4 5.80%
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 291

Thread: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights Act

  1. #151
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I am guessing we both have different opinions on the scope of the harm.
    I agree, I don't think that we'll come to a satisfactory answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    It probably won't but if keeping it from getting worse while time does its thing is all we can do, than we should do it.
    Even with the law, you see de-facto segregation as well. People already skirt the law.

    I think that our disagreement is based on a fundamentally different view of society, and an agreeable conclusion is impossible here.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  2. #152
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    It think that he's made his opinion clear. Why do you care?
    Not really. It's not exactly a simple yes/no question, which is why the poll responses are useless. As yes/no polls, especially with editorial comments attached to them, often are.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #153
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    I agree, I don't think that we'll come to a satisfactory answer.

    Even with the law, you see de-facto segregation as well. People already skirt the law.

    I think that our disagreement is based on a fundamentally different view of society, and an agreeable conclusion is impossible here.
    I can agree with that

    Overall, I think racism is lessening over time and I think the current state of civil rights laws has a lot to do with it. I can see a possible future where the laws can be lifted, but at that point they wouldn't be needed anyway, so it would probably be a moot point.

  4. #154
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Not one person who agrees with Stossel responded to what I said or even acknowledged it.

    My Jewish ancestors living in America before the civil rights act were second class citizens until these laws upheld their status as equals. Why don't you go back in time and tell my great grandmother that she was raising her son in squalor because the free market was in the process of working itself out.
    I'm guessing your great-grandmother wasn't raising your grandfather post CRA, so I don't understand what you think this proves.

    It never did. The government fixed the problem, we don't need to revisit that chapter in our history.
    So your theory is that a repeal of this particular provision would instantly result in 1900's-era social prejudices?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    Those doiing business with the public are, Johnny. I suggest you spend some time researching what our courts have said repeatedly about this matter.
    Given that this is a discussion about the hypothetical situation where some particular language and subsequent legislation would be removed, do you see why it doesn't make sense to point to court interpretations of that particular language and subsequent legislation as proof for why it wouldn't work?


    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    Whether you or I do or do not choose to 'spend our money" in these businesses is irrelevant. These are businesses doing business in the commons using infrastructure provided by We the People, and are therefore obligated by force of Constitutional Law, to operate in a non-discriminatory manner. The "permission" of "the owners" as to who they will and won't "do business" with, as long as those customers act in a legal and appropriate way, is irrelevant and not required.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    "Controlling the people," Johnny? How about protecting the people?

    If "the gubmint" doesn't protect those who can't protect themselves, Johnny, who's gonna? The corporations? The bigots? The homophobes? The holier-than-thous? The "free market?"

    Every one of those has proved beyond any doubt that they will do exactly the opposite and the more power they grab, the more they will **** over We the People.
    There's got to be a new version of Godwin's for people who refer to what "We the People" want.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Never until recently have I heard of a rising opinion of people that would like to take rights away from Americans, and never before has the Consitution or Bill of Rights been used to do such a thing.
    Yea, because when I think of attempts to limit constitutional rights throughout history, this is the first think that pops into my head.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #155
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    This isn't about states seceding Johnny, it's about whether bigots can discriminate. Please focus.

    Whether you or I do or do not choose to 'spend our money" in these businesses is irrelevant. These are businesses doing business in the commons using infrastructure provided by We the People, and are therefore obligated by force of Constitutional Law, to operate in a non-discriminatory manner. The "permission" of "the owners" as to who they will and won't "do business" with, as long as those customers act in a legal and appropriate way, is irrelevant and not required.
    What in the hell are you talking about?? How many business work out of government building?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #156
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Given that this is a discussion about the hypothetical situation where some particular language and subsequent legislation would be removed, do you see why it doesn't make sense to point to court interpretations of that particular language and subsequent legislation as proof for why it wouldn't work?
    I promise to get back to you when I feel the need for your advice as to how to say what I want? Mmmmmmmmmmmmm k?






    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    There's got to be a new version of Godwin's for people who refer to what "We the People" want.
    Must be nice to be able to take snarky personal shots with impunity, eh?
    Last edited by The Uncola; 08-13-10 at 03:01 PM.

  7. #157
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    What in the hell are you talking about?? How many business work out of government building?
    On what planet are "government buildings" the sum total of infrastructure?

  8. #158
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    I promise to get back to you when I feel the need for your advice as to how to say what I want? Mmmmmmmmmmmmm k?
    You misunderstand me - I'm not trying to tell you how to express your argument, I'm pointing out the fundamental flaw in your entire premise.

    If the language and subsequent legislation were repealed, then the court decisions dealing with them would become nullities on those points.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #159
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    You misunderstand me - I'm not trying to tell you how to express your argument, I'm pointing out the fundamental flaw in your entire premise.

    If the language and subsequent legislation were repealed, then the court decisions dealing with them would become nullities on those points.
    Yeah, and if pigs had wings they'd be birds, wouldn't they?

  10. #160
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: John Stossel called for repeal of public accommodations section of Civil Rights A

    Yeah, and if pigs had wings they'd be birds, wouldn't they?
    And if the discussion were about the genetic modification of pigs to grow wings, then it would be pretty foolish to come in and say "oh yea well pigs don't currently have wings so there!"
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •