View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    177 55.31%
  • Yes. please explain.

    143 44.69%
Page 69 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 1209

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

  1. #681
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I think our disagreement lies in your acceptance of the existence of government schools and my rejection of them. People should be free to send their children to those schools that instill the moral and values that the parents want instilled, not what the state wants them to think.
    There's no disagreement here, I support that right. Even now, you have the right to send your kids to a school that teaches creationism and anti-homosexual values, there's no law that says you can't. You're just going to have to pay for it, just as it was before government funded schools were established. If you send your kid to a government school, you are accepting a tradeoff of getting the service for free, but giving up control to the state.

    Should the state fund private schools? or Churches? or home schools? You can't have your cake and eat it too; if you want to give your kids a free education, you get what you pay for.

  2. #682
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,656

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Is god judging you for your own actions, or for the society you live in? If you don't sin or whatever, but someone near you does, do you really think that you'll be penalized in the cosmic American Idol contest to get into heaven for not stopping that person? Really? I mean, didn't Lot get to leave before his home got hit by the flaming hail or whatever burned the city down? Isn't the whole thing based on how much faith you have? What does that have to do with anyone else? How is it consistent with free will and judgment for how you use that free will leading to judgment if you have to pay for the choices of other people? I mean, if you actually think that your soul is on the line (hint: it isn't), then I can see caring about stopping other people from being gay and marrying and enjoying their lives, but why would you think that?



    Your view doesn't even make internal sense! Arguments about god and your religion being completely made up (hint: they are) don't even need to factor in. The god that you claim cares about our sex lives doesn't hold us responsible for what other people do! Except for killing your children because you did something wrong, but that's because god thinks that children (and women) are property and god is cool with punishing you by destroying your property. But either way, you and your neighbor (barring god-approved slavery) are not each other's property and so neither of you can affect each other's soul meter.

    Yes, lots of what you might consider cheap shots. Don't let that detract from the overall message. Even if you believe this nonsense (and it is nonsense), the nonsense you believe doesn't require you to stop other people from doing things that piss god off. It only requires you not to do those things.
    Perhaps you don't understand how God works. In some instances people are taken off the earth for simply lying (see Ananias and Sapphira in Acts chapter 5). In other instances the sins of a people (a nation) accumulate over time, and when the "full measure of their iniquity" is reached, then Judgment falls (note Genesis 15:16).

    As for Sodom and Gomorrah, there's Biblical evidence they were preached to and warned before they were judged. Sodom and Gomorrah: A Sign of Eternal Torment

    America is headed down the same path, but the spiritually-challenged cannot see it. And you can't say with any certainty that (for instance) God's 'hedge of protection" (Job chapter 1) wasn't taken off JFK to the point where he was taken off the earth for his many adulteries. IMO people and nations are still being judged today.

    Personally, I don't see America turning toward righteousness. But I do see God slowly but surely turning up the heat on us. America is on a downward slide to oblivion and it's obvious to a great many of us that dire times are ahead of us.

    And there's nothing non-sensible about it.

  3. #683
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,266

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    There's no disagreement here, I support that right. Even now, you have the right to send your kids to a school that teaches creationism and anti-homosexual values, there's no law that says you can't. You're just going to have to pay for it, just as it was before government funded schools were established. If you send your kid to a government school, you are accepting a tradeoff of getting the service for free, but giving up control to the state.

    Should the state fund private schools? or Churches? or home schools? You can't have your cake and eat it too; if you want to give your kids a free education, you get what you pay for.
    You miss the point. I shouldn't be forced to fund government schools then try to come up with the funds to send my kids to private school to get them the education I desire. What you are doing is demand that I pay for something I don't want or need (government schools) then pretend I want something for free (private schools). I am willing to pay for the education I choose, but not for the education I don't choose.

  4. #684
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    You still don't post valid arguments and you still don't understand the discussion I don't really care that you were in out prior, i am going by your posts.

    And you still completely failed to prove your case. And this proves your unwillingness to accept your defeat.

    The post i am responding to, your righteous indignation, equally meaningless.
    sorry I did not make a case.

    all I ever stated was in essence nobody can say they have all the facts, to themselves..... and no one else with an opposite point of view..... does not have them at all.

    so if you state I made a case..................what is it?

    I never made one of homosexuality either way.

    you keep forgetting...............I am against government force, not two people getting married....
    Last edited by Master PO; 09-18-13 at 12:47 AM.

  5. #685
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    You miss the point. I shouldn't be forced to fund government schools then try to come up with the funds to send my kids to private school to get them the education I desire. What you are doing is demand that I pay for something I don't want or need (government schools) then pretend I want something for free (private schools). I am willing to pay for the education I choose, but not for the education I don't choose.
    I really see what you mean; I can even respect your viewpoint a lot more just because of this post. Go email your congressmen, I agree that people should have that choice. But, just because you can doesn't mean you should. You have the right to teach your child racism, sexism, or homophobia if you want, but it doesn't make it right. I'm truly saddened by the bigots in my own neighborhood, and I'm powerless to change them; we don't need another generation of haters.

  6. #686
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Perhaps you don't understand how God works. In some instances people are taken off the earth for simply lying (see Ananias and Sapphira in Acts chapter 5). In other instances the sins of a people (a nation) accumulate over time, and when the "full measure of their iniquity" is reached, then Judgment falls (note Genesis 15:16).

    As for Sodom and Gomorrah, there's Biblical evidence they were preached to and warned before they were judged. Sodom and Gomorrah: A Sign of Eternal Torment

    America is headed down the same path, but the spiritually-challenged cannot see it. And you can't say with any certainty that (for instance) God's 'hedge of protection" (Job chapter 1) wasn't taken off JFK to the point where he was taken off the earth for his many adulteries. IMO people and nations are still being judged today.

    Personally, I don't see America turning toward righteousness. But I do see God slowly but surely turning up the heat on us. America is on a downward slide to oblivion and it's obvious to a great many of us that dire times are ahead of us.

    And there's nothing non-sensible about it.
    So you do believe in global warming!

    America is finally turning towards righteousness if you ask me.

  7. #687
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,554

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I am the one arguing that education should include moral judgment and values.
    And where do you fall in teaching tolerance of all human beings in the classroom? Is this extra morality you want taught religiously based? Or is it somewhat objective like tolerance?

    After all, the topic is "do you have a right to stop gay marriage"? I think it's nobody's business what two or more consenting adults do with each other, or the contracts they make.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #688
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    False, and obviously so.

    But that you need to keep telling yourself and others over and over and over again that you "debunked" everything I've presented, as if you don't want others to read the posts but just take your word for it, indicates to me that this is purely wishful thinking on your part.
    I HAVE debunked everything you've presented... one by one. Each and every one of your theories has been turned into sawdust by me: shredded and then pulverized. I post information that either refutes the misinformation that you post, or I demonstrate that your OWN information refutes your own point. That's usually my favorite. I show that you have no logic, don't understand or misrepresent definitions, and that you don't understand statistics. EVERYTHING you've posted at DP surrounding homosexuality has been taken apart and shown to be invalid by me. This is just another in the series.

    So, now that your invalid statistical analysis has been revealed in ANOTHER thread, how are you going to try to alter the topic this time?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #689
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    But that is ridiculous. Tyranny is unacceptable because it is a moral evil. If you are not going to teach kids that basic moral fact, then you shouldn't teach them anything at all.
    I disagree. Morals are relative, so assigning a moral value to a situation is individual and personal. Was the US tyrannical in dealing with Native Americans in the early to mid 19th Century? Mexico during the Mexican-American War? Sure. What were the morals surrounding this? Relative and irrelevant to teaching about the situations.

    But by avoiding the moral issue as to why have rights at all, you are doing an immeasurable disservice not only to the kids you pretend to be teaching, but to the concept of individual rights itself. If you aren't going to teach the moral superiority of the concept of individual rights, you should not address the subject at all.
    Not at all and identifying that individual rights are morally superior is a value statement. One can present individual rights in the context of the US without placing a value on them and the information imparted will cover the issue completely.


    Schools should not be teaching anything at all about homosexuality. It is a political agenda. Not an educational one.
    Incorrect. It CAN be a political agenda, but it is mostly a sex ed issue. It certainly should be taught about and discussed in schools.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #690
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    09-21-13 @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post

    Also for some reference Ill try to list the general reasons people thought of that have been thoroughly debunked.

    Religion/god/bibleMeaningless and debunked

    Slipper slope argument: I should be able to marry my dog, pedophiles marring children etc. – Ludicrous and debunked

    Marriage is between a man and woman – this is a lie/opinion. Meaningless and debunked

    Morals – your morals are subjective, shouldn’t be forced on others and your morals aren’t effected one bit, you still get to believe in them as you see fit. Meaningless and debunked

    Gay Parents will “turn” their kids gay – LMAO this is also a uneducated fantasy. It has been proven that that children raised by gay parents are no more likely to be or not be gay. It has also been proven that children raised in a multi-parent home on average do better than a single parent home no matter the sex. Ignorant and debunked

    Churches will lose their rights – another silly argument that appeals to emotion and could probably be added under the “slipper slope” argument as well. Churches are already protected and will never lose their rights, they discriminate RIGHT NOW against who they want including STRAIGHT couples and will be able to continue to do so under the first amendment. Ludicrous and debunked

    Alright heres the most current update and lets have fun!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OFFICIAL COUNTER
    how many sound, reasonable, logical, non-bias, non-selfish, non-arrogant, non-hypercritical, non anti-american reason are there to "Stop" gay marriage

    GOOD REASONS: 0

    Just some rebuttals to your rebuttals:

    Religion/god/bible: There is yet to be a definitive proof against god and therefore none of those three can be considered meaningless or debunked (unless you know something I've never seen, heard or researched)

    Slippery slope argument: We've seen it happen before. We all have. Regularly. So as a generally applied principle it has grounds

    Marriage is between a man and a woman: Yes it is a foolish way to debate it (like saying someone in court "murdered because they are a murderer"). And yes it is an opinion but there's nothing to state its a lie in any form of the definition.

    Gay Parents will "turn" their kids gay: Well if you are arguing with someone that thinks being gay is ok then that isn't a legitimate point. That's why it isn't useful in the debate NOT because it's ignorant.

    Churches will lose their rights: It isn't ludicrous. Churches believe homosexuality is wrong and so, yes, they discriminate (please don't make the common assumption that discrimination is all bad. I discriminate by avoiding someone on a dark street who looks like a murderer. That's common sense) and a global legal passing of gay rights would force churches to go completely against what they believe.


    I do apologise if any of the above seemed like an attack. That was not intended, I simply wished to point out that the points you made to rebut the rebuttals aren't really all that legitimate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •