View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    177 55.31%
  • Yes. please explain.

    143 44.69%
Page 118 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1209

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

  1. #1171
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,102

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Seem like all the right-wingers have this idea about what "nature intended". Nature doesn't "intend" anything. It's not a conscious entity to have intentions. What happens, happens. If it's detrimental to procreation, then it's selected out, eventually. Not because nature "made a mistake" or "didn't intend for that to happen", but because of the simple mechanics of it.

    But that's all completely and totally irrelevant to the conversation, anyway. The only thing that's important is that American citizens have the right to marriage. If one American citizen has that right, then all American citizens have that right. That includes the ones that are gay.

    If the right-wingers are successful in their drive to set the precedent that the government can carve out classes of Americans to whom certain rights don't apply, they'll be completely dumbfounded when they find themselves in half of the next dozen classes of people who've been relieved of specific rights. If they can say " gays don't have the right to get married" then they can say "fundimentalist right-wing Christians don't have the right to own guns", or whatever. No matter how many times you point out the precedent they're trying to set will some day be used against them, they won't get it until some day when it is used against them.
    Stop lumping all of those in one catagory together... not all right wingers or conservatives are represented by the retarded rantings of some of the posters here. It is stupid and pathetic generalizing that does far more harm than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #1172
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Stop lumping all of those in one catagory together... not all right wingers or conservatives are represented by the retarded rantings of some of the posters here. It is stupid and pathetic generalizing that does far more harm than good.
    There really aren't that many sane people left in the GOP. Almost the whole lot of them are living in an information bubble, only listening to, watching or reading rightwing propaganda sources that are filled with lies and disinformation. The handful of sane people left are losing control of the party, if they haven't lost it already.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  3. #1173
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Stop lumping all of those in one catagory together... not all right wingers or conservatives are represented by the retarded rantings of some of the posters here. It is stupid and pathetic generalizing that does far more harm than good.
    I have to agree there are millions of right wing religious conservatives that are all for equal rights

    now stereotypical thats not thier platform but they still support it none the less.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #1174
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,102

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    There really aren't that many sane people left in the GOP. Almost the whole lot of them are living in an information bubble, only listening to, watching or reading rightwing propaganda sources that are filled with lies and disinformation. The handful of sane people left are losing control of the party, if they haven't lost it already.
    And how do you view the Left?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #1175
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,102

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    I have to agree there are millions of right wing religious conservatives that are all for equal rights

    now stereotypical thats not thier platform but they still support it none the less.
    I am a liberal conservative, not religious and am for Constitutional equal treatment for all... I know I don't represent the far Right, but the "far" of both sides have serious problems. Only seeing it in one, as Grendal has suggested, displays many of the same problems that he accuses others of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #1176
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I am a liberal conservative, not religious and am for Constitutional equal treatment for all... I know I don't represent the far Right, but the "far" of both sides have serious problems. Only seeing it in one, as Grendal has suggested, displays many of the same problems that he accuses others of.
    amen
    and i have to agree, this is way many times when people throw blanket statements around i simply point it out its not fair.
    as far as equal rights go and actively fighting for it, out of the top 5 people i know personally 2 are conservative republicans and religious

    unfortunately for the right, one certain issues, the bigots have the "squeekiest wheel" and that cause people to wrongly assume that wheel speaks for everyone or even most when it doenst.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #1177
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    And how do you view the Left?
    Same as they always were. There are some extremists. The difference is that, over the last 10 or 12 years, the percentage of the conservatives who've become extremist has exploded. Kind of like the left did in the 60's. A quarter of Republicans self-identify as tea party -- an extremist reactionary movement, and an addition 47% approve of the influence that the TP has on the GOP. 60% want churches more involved in the government, 16% think Rush Limbaugh should have more influence in the party, and another 40% are happy with the influence he has. 16% say he's one of the most important Republican leaders right now.

    I don't have statistics on the percentage that think the Democrats are communists, or think that liberals "hate America", or whatever, but the noise has been growing louder for a decade. The 2000's are to the conservatives as the 1960's were to the liberals. At least from my point of view. There was a massive and coordinated propaganda campaign radicalizing these soft-headed little muppets starting some time around the beginning of the invasion of Iraq.

    Maybe it looks different from your view, but I've seen more and more conservatives who used to be rational who have become hysterical in the last decade.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  8. #1178
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Seem like all the right-wingers have this idea about what "nature intended". Nature doesn't "intend" anything. It's not a conscious entity to have intentions. What happens, happens. If it's detrimental to procreation, then it's selected out, eventually. Not because nature "made a mistake" or "didn't intend for that to happen", but because of the simple mechanics of it.

    But that's all completely and totally irrelevant to the conversation, anyway. The only thing that's important is that American citizens have the right to marriage. If one American citizen has that right, then all American citizens have that right. That includes the ones that are gay.

    If the right-wingers are successful in their drive to set the precedent that the government can carve out classes of Americans to whom certain rights don't apply, they'll be completely dumbfounded when they find themselves in half of the next dozen classes of people who've been relieved of specific rights. If they can say " gays don't have the right to get married" then they can say "fundimentalist right-wing Christians don't have the right to own guns", or whatever. No matter how many times you point out the precedent they're trying to set will some day be used against them, they won't get it until some day when it is used against them.
    I felt the same regarding this issue not long ago at all, but i see a clear trend where this is becoming misguided. It's perfectly fine to berate those who explicitly state they're against equal rights, but we have to be sensitive to the rapidly growing number of self-identified conservatives and theists who support gay rights. It hurts them when we throw around "right wingers" "republicans" "christians" etc. I've done that too and certainly regret it.

    Gay marriage support hits new high in Post-ABC poll

    A clear *majority* of republicans under 50 support SSM. What this means is it's no longer a political issue. When they say things like they want church more involved in government, we leap to conclusions. But the fact is most theists also support SSM now, so that's not even what they're referring to. We need to get behind this reality and welcome them on board.

  9. #1179
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Interesting poll. Young today are leadership tomorrow. Glad to see the GOP is going to be a little more moderate in 20 years.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  10. #1180
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Irrelevant as it makes no sense in Chinese either
    Do you mean to say, what you were saying is senseless? That is what I thought. But I did not think you would be so candid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •