View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    177 55.31%
  • Yes. please explain.

    143 44.69%
Page 111 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1209

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

  1. #1101
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    To tell you the truth, I really do not care, who lives together, if it does not cost society money. I just do not think it sensible to change the meaning of a quite useful sociological term for no good reason.
    Sociologists aren't shy about evolving terms, and they certainly tend to advocate for such changes when they perceive them to be useful (which this would be). Furthermore, sociologists have already long-since tackled the notion of gay marriage.

    In other words, the sociologists have long since abandoned you.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #1102
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Sure. There is always a reason. But why offend people without a real reason. I do not understand why some here and "many others" want to be rude. But, as the man said: "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    People being offended is their problem, not society's. Some people are offended that women are equal to men or that black people are equal to white people or that gays are not being put into jail or a mental institution. That doesn't mean we should take their offense into serious consideration when considering laws. Their offense is their own and they have no right not to be offended.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #1103
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    What don't they do? No spouse splitting in your part of the wilderness? No reduced cost of insurance for spouses?

    Yes. I think you are right. If we want ssm, we get rid of all government benefits for marriages. Then it is fine by me.
    Reduced insurance cost is a private advantage because that has nothing to do with government. It wouldn't change even if they legally did anything to marriage. Some companies offer that reduced insurance cost to committed same sex couples right now, even in states where same sex marriage or any same sex unions are not allowed. It is not a government benefit. It is due to the fact that insurance companies have seen the same research about marriage that I have and did some of their own and understand that married people are much less likely to get into accidents or need to use whatever the insurance is because married people overall, are more responsible citizens than single people because they have someone else they have committed to think about besides themselves. (Now, obviously there are exceptions to this, it is an "in general" thing.)
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #1104
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    You misunderstand. My family has been very open to gays since the beginning of the 20th century. I have very good friends who are gay. I do not want to participate. But they like it, I find it fine.

    I do not think that others should pay them, however, for their sex. I do not think we should be giving traditional married couples tax and other breaks unless they are doing something valuable for society.

    By the way. When you say "They are wrong", what you mean, I hope, is that you think they are wrong. Much like they think you to be wrong.
    Marriage, for the vast majority of people, is not about sex. If you think it is, your problem is in how you view marriage, of any kind.

    Marriage (for most couples) is about commitment, and how that commitment to each other brings advantages to society being the reason for benefits seen to being married. Even the Army has studied this and determined things like married soldiers are much more likely to come to work on time, much less likely to get into trouble or take high risks (such as things that might get them hurt or killed), and they are generally overall better soldiers.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #1105
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Try and think thing through clearly before you make embarrassing statements. You don't realize there is a difference between girls and boys and a potentially different outcome from gay sex?
    Their sex life or sexual relationship is none of your business, just as the sex lives of any other married or even non-married couple is any of your business. There is only one potential outcome to sex between some men and women that is not their when sex is between two people of the same sex. However, no one is required to make that outcome a reality in their marriage legally anyway, so it makes no difference legally.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #1106
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    You misunderstand. My family has been very open to gays since the beginning of the 20th century. I have very good friends who are gay. I do not want to participate. But they like it, I find it fine.

    I do not think that others should pay them, however, for their sex. I do not think we should be giving traditional married couples tax and other breaks unless they are doing something valuable for society.

    By the way. When you say "They are wrong", what you mean, I hope, is that you think they are wrong. Much like they think you to be wrong.
    Okay, what do you mean "Give them money."? Do you mean, "Give them the exact same tax status as heterosexual couples"? Or do you mean something else. IF you mean something else, then I need further explanation. IF you mean you think that tax status should be determined by your personal opinion of other people, then forget it. Everyone gets the same breaks or no one does.

    If you mean that neither of them should get special tax status, then I'm completely with you on that.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  7. #1107
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    I would jump in and beat up joG a bit but he is already getting hammered...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #1108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,318

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Okay, what do you mean "Give them money."? Do you mean, "Give them the exact same tax status as heterosexual couples"? Or do you mean something else. IF you mean something else, then I need further explanation. IF you mean you think that tax status should be determined by your personal opinion of other people, then forget it. Everyone gets the same breaks or no one does.

    If you mean that neither of them should get special tax status, then I'm completely with you on that.
    I guess we have no real difference of opinion then.

  9. #1109
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,318

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Their sex life or sexual relationship is none of your business, just as the sex lives of any other married or even non-married couple is any of your business. There is only one potential outcome to sex between some men and women that is not their when sex is between two people of the same sex. However, no one is required to make that outcome a reality in their marriage legally anyway, so it makes no difference legally.
    Agreed. Their sex is nobody's business than theirs. Therefore I see no reason to pay for it.

  10. #1110
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,007

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it? (PART II)

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Agreed. Their sex is nobody's business than theirs. Therefore I see no reason to pay for it.
    Well you are not paying for it so why are you against SSM?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •