View Poll Results: Do you have a positive or negative view of Michael Moore?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

    19 31.67%
  • Negative

    41 68.33%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 94

Thread: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    I don't really like him at all. He's a very polarizing propaganda artist the likes of Hannity and Beck. More annoying than anything else.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    It's dumb to criticize someone for manipulating information - especially on this board where EVERYONE of us manipulate information for our political purposes.
    Moore makes millions of dollars off his manipulations. Not dumb at all - in fact, very pertinent.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    The idiotic thing is that people here are threatening violence over free speech and comparing him to brutal dictators who have killed millions of people.
    Quite true - they give him too much credit. He's the crusty skid mark... and not "the ****" people thought him to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    If douchebaggery over politics is the same as murder, then every tear Glenn Beck sheds kills at least 20,000,000 people.
    Yeah and Paul Krugman must have killed at least a Billion in his extended stay.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    You decide especially the next time you post images about shooting people or want to drown someone in a pool of crocodiles.
    Oh come now... is a target used for the express purpose of using one's 2nd amendment rights now a "threat"? I mean, he makes a helluva target paper given his bloated size.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    And by the way, I hadn't voted until now. And I went positive (I would have chosen neutral) because I hold him in much higher esteem now compared the people on this board who threaten to kill those they disagree with.
    Well good for you! I hope I pushed you over to vote positive. It can't look like everyone hates the man... Go out and rent all his movies this week and give him a few sheckles in royalty's too. Hope I helped! :wave:
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #53
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Prove to me where Moore supports totalitarianism. You assert it without actual evidence and instead with a leap of logic that doesn't pass muster. That technique is very similar to right-wing goofball websites. Thus the accusation that you are quoting them.

    You base your assertion without providing a fact behind it. He supports socialism, therefore he supports totalitarianism. Wrong. You could have just as easily said: he supports socialism, therefore he supports democratic socialism, such as in France, Norway, or other nations whose systems he has expressed a liking for.

    You didn't do that. You created a logical fallacy, failed to provide a fact to back your assertion or belief, and are therefore even more guilty of Moore of propaganda.

    To dislike him is one thing (and utterly fair) - to say he supports Hitler and Pol Pot is utterly useless hyperbole.
    He supports Castro just like Oliver Stone supports Hugo Chavez. When you're commending socialistic systems ruled by dictators, why is it such a stretch to drop the names of other dictators (OK forget Hitler) in making a comparison?

    Just as a side note I don't think any student of history can deny the influence of marxist socialism on Western Europe. Many of these western european countries have only recently shed their totalitarian systems.

  4. #54
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I like Moore's films, they're extremely well done. The propaganda point is kind of overblown... but mostly, comparing all propaganda to Nazi propaganda is dumb. The United States also produced propaganda... Dr. Seuss drew American propaganda in the early 1940s. You never hear somebody say: Michael Moore's films are propaganda. You know who else produced great propaganda? DR. SEUSS! Moore's best films examine an issue in an interesting manner and offer a heaping dose of pathos that sometimes simplifies aspects of the issue to the point where they are misrepresented. But in films like Roger and Me, it's done so for the purpose of being entertaining and not to be dishonest.



    I think that's ridiculous. Do you really not understand the difference between socialism and fascism?
    1)
    I do not deny the existence of war propaganda. This thread is not about American war propaganda during WW2. This is about propaganda TODAY. Unfortunately, we all acknowledge the propaganda of yesterday. Moore's propaganda is seen as almost absolute truth.
    2)
    Yes, I know very well the difference between socialism and fascism. Do you? Do you know how similar they are? Have you actually read anything in regards to Mussolini's economic policies? Do you know why Hitler and Stalin were so much alike? Do you know why the Nazi party contained (at various times) the words "worker's party" and "national SOCIALIST?" The differences between the totalitarian communist countries and the totalitarian fascist countries are quite limited in comparison to their similarities.

  5. #55
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    It's dumb to criticize someone for manipulating information - especially on this board where EVERYONE of us manipulate information for our political purposes.

    The idiotic thing is that people here are threatening violence over free speech and comparing him to brutal dictators who have killed millions of people.

    If douchebaggery over politics is the same as murder, then every tear Glenn Beck sheds kills at least 20,000,000 people.

    And I've seen more threats of violence from people on this board than I've ever heard from Michael Moore. Thus, I wonder who is closer to a brutal dictator. Someone who exaggerates in his documentaries or someone who would threaten to kill someone because of their political beliefs?

    You decide especially the next time you post images about shooting people or want to drown someone in a pool of crocodiles.

    ___

    And by the way, I hadn't voted until now. And I went positive (I would have chosen neutral) because I hold him in much higher esteem now compared the people on this board who threaten to kill those they disagree with.
    Lighten up. You got so worked up that you failed to realize the joke posted by a very liberal poster in regards to Moore being thrown into a pool of crocidles.

  6. #56
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    1)
    I do not deny the existence of war propaganda. This thread is not about American war propaganda during WW2. This is about propaganda TODAY. Unfortunately, we all acknowledge the propaganda of yesterday. Moore's propaganda is seen as almost absolute truth.
    2)
    Yes, I know very well the difference between socialism and fascism. Do you? Do you know how similar they are? Have you actually read anything in regards to Mussolini's economic policies? Do you know why Hitler and Stalin were so much alike? Do you know why the Nazi party contained (at various times) the words "worker's party" and "national SOCIALIST?" The differences between the totalitarian communist countries and the totalitarian fascist countries are quite limited in comparison to their similarities.
    1. I understand why you are annoyed by people who interpret Moore's films as the absolute truth. I understand why people are annoyed that Moore insists that everything he says is the absolute truth and reinforces that flawed notion when his fans express it. But people are responsible for their own handle on the truth or lack thereof, and Moore's job as a director is to make a film that moves and entertains people. Again, though, I see where you and many others are coming from.
    2. Socialism is absolutely nothing like fascism. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say because you states that socialism and fascism are similar and then you say that communist totalitariansm and fascist totalitarianism have very little in common... did I read that wrong? I'm a bit confused by the point you're trying to make.

    I think I may not have stated my point very well, either. What I was trying to say is this: Michael Moore is very consistent with his themes, which are about holding wealthy and powerful people accountable for their corruption (with a bias leaning left as we all know) and prohibiting corporations, special interests, and the media from taking the reigns over public policies ranging from gun control to health care and foreign policy. He wants the federal government to keep these sectors in check and believes they have failed to do so and it has been harmful to millions of Americans. Equating this approach to endorsing totalitarianism is more disingenuous than anything Moore has ever accused his opponents of.
    Last edited by Mustachio; 08-09-10 at 10:34 PM.
    A working class hero is something to be

  7. #57
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Well, I don't appreciate Limbaugh anymore than I appreciate Moore. I think both are somewhat conspiracy theorists. I have a larger problem with Moore because his entertainment leads to people making drastic mistakes at the voting booths. Limbaugh advances a chauvinistic form of radical capitalism while Moore advances the sacrifice of individual rights over collective control. As I said earlier: totalitarianism.
    Limbaugh doesn't promote conspiracies.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #58
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    What is your overall opinion of Michael Moore, his work, and why?
    On one hand, I don't care for his documentaries because they are obviously biased. On the other hand, he does bring up issues that others do not talk about, which I think is a good thing, even if does manhandle them in his movies.

  9. #59
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Michael Moore is worse than Glenn Beck. I hold a negative view of Moore.
    Worse than Beck? How so?
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  10. #60
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,162

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    ... Many of these western european countries have only recently shed their totalitarian systems.
    Which many would that be? And how long ago was "recently?"
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •