View Poll Results: Do you have a positive or negative view of Michael Moore?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

    19 31.67%
  • Negative

    41 68.33%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 94

Thread: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

  1. #11
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    I don't think "raising some good points" is reason enough to commend his work, given that it is total propaganda and full of lies and inaccuracies. Hitler raised some "good points" when speaking about the ridiculous war debt that Germany was forced to pay and led to millions of Germans starving. Those points, by themselves, were well-intended. But what was the other side of that coin?

    Yes, I know. I'm comparing Moore to Hitler. But Hitler was a totalitarian dictator and Moore doesn't mind a totalitarian state. I'd be glad to compare Noam Chomsky to Pol Pot. After all, the former had completely denied what the latter was doing.
    Some people put their opinions in the newspaper; Moore is an entrepreneur who puts his in film and people pay to watch. To say it's total propaganda is inaccurate, but much of it in just his opinion. He is a brilliant film maker who needs to go on a diet.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Check out the Nolan chart and open your mind to the possibility that political thinking extends to a much more than an absolute right-left binary. Libertarians are advocates for liberty. Conservatives are advocates for traditional ways. If spending for the social security of this nation is the norm and has been for at least 70 years, then the CHANGE would be to cut spending and put individuals in charge of their own lives. I don't think Hitler would agree with that. That is why I brought up Hitler. Taking away the fanatical anti-Semitism, in terms of governing a country, Moore would probably agree with many Hitlerian economic policies. Moore really likes Cuba and Fidel Castro. Hitler is not that far away on the political spectrum. The thing they all have in common is support for a totalitarian regime.
    Oh good lord you're already boring me with your mischaracterizations of Michael Moore's work. If exposing the misdeeds of the 'free market' in regards to American workers is support for totalitarianism than you're more dishonest than I thought. All the other bull**** regarding what Michael Moore would probably agree with or wouldn't agree with is ridiculous unless you actually know what he would agree with and what he wouldn't. Your argument was that because Michael Moore and Hitler both raised 'good points' than they're alike:

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt
    Hitler raised some "good points" when speaking about the ridiculous war debt that Germany was forced to pay and led to millions of Germans starving. Those points, by themselves, were well-intended. But what was the other side of that coin?
    With your dishonesty aside, Nolan's Libertarian chart isn't going to save you right now. It is a political quiz consisting of about 8 questions which are supposed to determine where you fall in the ridiculously complex world of politics. Even though in the real world you're just as likely to find a self declared libertarian who supports 'small government' with big social agendas as you're to find conservatives who believe in small government which place enphasis on the welfare of its people. No, no. You're simply wrong and Godwinized your own thread.

    /thread.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Some people put their opinions in the newspaper; Moore is an entrepreneur who puts his in film and people pay to watch. To say it's total propaganda is inaccurate, but much of it in just his opinion. He is a brilliant film maker who needs to go on a diet.
    prop·a·gan·da   /ˌprɒpəˈgændə/ Show Spelled[prop-uh-gan-duh] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
    2. the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.

    I think that best defines Moore's work. Whether he makes money off of his propaganda, or whether a movement of individuals distributes free pamphlets, it can all be considered propaganda. Propaganda is simply the spreading of falsehoods and shrouding them in an aura of truth. Whether it comes from print or film is irrelevant.

    And how can anyone take his last film seriously? He hates on capitalism, and gives a ridiculous alternative (democracy), but he's making millions of dollars (as you said) as an entrepreneur.

  4. #14
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    While I thought Sicko wasn't to bad, he really likes to distort and fabricate things. Anyone that saw "Fahrenheit 9/11" I suggest you check out "Fahrenhype 9/11" and form your opinion on the subject after that.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  5. #15
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Oh good lord you're already boring me with your mischaracterizations of Michael Moore's work. If exposing the misdeeds of the 'free market' in regards to American workers is support for totalitarianism than you're more dishonest than I thought. All the other bull**** regarding what Michael Moore would probably agree with or wouldn't agree with is ridiculous unless you actually know what he would agree with and what he wouldn't. Your argument was that because Michael Moore and Hitler both raised 'good points' than they're alike:/thread.
    I am not mischaracterizing Moore's work. I've watched neary every one of his movies more than once, and I've read more than one of his books. He is very much an open socialist. Lenin would be proud of him (Lenin, as you might not know, considered communism to be the next step after socialism...but that even Lenin did not claim the USSR had progressed to communism). Instead of bringing out the historical boogeyman who best represents evil, shall I instead bring up Lenin and compare Lenin to Moore? That might not be so offensive to you.

    The fact that you brought up "American workers" plays right into my argument. Mussolini wrote extensively about protecting Italian workers from cheap foreign labor, as did many other statists. That argument is extremely xenophobic and completely misleading.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    With your dishonesty aside, Nolan's Libertarian chart isn't going to save you right now. It is a political quiz consisting of about 8 questions which are supposed to determine where you fall in the ridiculously complex world of politics. Even though in the real world you're just as likely to find a self declared libertarian who supports 'small government' with big social agendas as you're to find conservatives who believe in small government which place enphasis on the welfare of its people. No, no. You're simply wrong and Godwinized your own thread. /thread.
    Of course, but I think you're confusing two different things. It's possible to believe in small government and still maintain "big social agendas." A "big social agenda" could be a large private organization dedicated to providing charity for those less fortunate. You don't need a large government to maintain such a big social agenda, so the ideology remains consistent. I don't see your point here.
    Last edited by Mensch; 08-08-10 at 05:59 PM.

  6. #16
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    While I thought Sicko wasn't to bad, he really likes to distort and fabricate things. Anyone that saw "Fahrenheit 9/11" I suggest you check out "Fahrenhype 9/11" and form your opinion on the subject after that.
    Instead, check out Michael and Me by Larry Elder.

  7. #17
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    I would like to comment on this thread, but it has been subjected to Godwin's Law in the first page, and therefore, I fear, is destined to be nothing but a troll magnet.

    Oh well, there's always the next time I suppose.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I would like to comment on this thread, but it has been subjected to Godwin's Law in the first page, and therefore, I fear, is destined to be nothing but a troll magnet.

    Oh well, there's always the next time I suppose.
    Oh stop being such a Nazi.

  9. #19
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    I don't think "raising some good points" is reason enough to commend his work, given that it is total propaganda and full of lies and inaccuracies. Hitler raised some "good points" when speaking about the ridiculous war debt that Germany was forced to pay and led to millions of Germans starving. Those points, by themselves, were well-intended. But what was the other side of that coin?

    Yes, I know. I'm comparing Moore to Hitler. But Hitler was a totalitarian dictator and Moore doesn't mind a totalitarian state. I'd be glad to compare Noam Chomsky to Pol Pot. After all, the former had completely denied what the latter was doing.
    With what you say here, you are no better than what you accuse Moore of. Propaganda.

    So, you think free speech and societal criticism is the same thing as killing Jews and Cambodians?

    Hyperbolic, much?

  10. #20
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Do you have a positive or negative view of MICHAEL MOORE and WHY...

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Oh stop being such a Nazi.
    Do you think poopie smells bad?

    Because you know who else thought poopie smells bad, don't you?

    Hitler.

    So thinking that poopie smells bad makes you a Nazi.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •