View Poll Results: What are your views on euthanasia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support it.

    22 53.66%
  • I'm against it.

    4 9.76%
  • It depends.

    14 34.15%
  • Other

    1 2.44%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 76

Thread: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

  1. #61
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    "Yoh! check it! Whats wiv all dah youth in Asia, that's Been killin all dese old people?"

    10 boogieman points to anyone who knows where that's from.

  2. #62
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    There's the rub. You say that people can only choose suicide when they're rational, and then use the fact that they want suicide as evidence they're irrational. Suicidal ideation is not a symptom of psychiatric illness, it is a response to the symptoms of psychiatric illness, just as it is a response to the symptoms of terminal illness or any other condition that makes life unbearable. You are too fixated upon the notion that they can be helped to acknowledge that help may not be what they want or need.
    I completely disagree. Suicidal ideation is a symptom of a psychiatric illness. A suicidal gesture would be a response. One can have suicidal ideation without acting on it, or having any intent to act on it. Suicidal ideation is a clinical term, used to identify symptons of a psychiatirc disorder that are manifested by thoughts of death or thoughts of killing oneself. Action is not required. In fact, action would denote suicidal gestures, something different. Wanting to die because of a terminal/degenerative illness is a different animal. It is not caused by any psychiatric disorder. It is a situational reaction and would not meat the criteria for any psychological diagnosis. If it did, I would question the response to this desire, also.

    It is irrelevant as to what someone needs/wants when they are not emotionally stable to be able to make those decisions in a rational way.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    On further reflection, I must comment again. I still understand the point of a patient of psychological disorder having clouded thinking. Yet, it seems discriminatory to prevent their making a decision, as well.
    Not in the least. In this area, they are unable to make this decision. The illness affects their ability to make this decision, competently.

    You see, I have always been a functioning Bipolar 1 person (aside from a week long stay for voluntary hospitalization after my own suicide attempt - it was an excellent experience as I learned CBT there and found I have used many cognitive distortions in my life). As such, I make all the decisions in my life, regarding employment, living conditions, finances - I am fully functional. However, in this area I would be denied, and given the balance of opinion being that this should only be available to terminal or degenerative diseased patients, if I ever was so afflicted, I still could not make a decision to end my life. This disturbs me. Kind of like an equal rights kind of thought.
    If you had BOTH, a significant review would need to occur, IMO, to determine which was more prevelent. My guess would be that the terminal illness would win out, however, with the co-morbid psychological disorder, a thorough examination would need to be done.

    I just thought I would comment on this.

    PS. CC, you have commented before on your preferred system of therapy, not CBT. What was it again? Thanks!
    Psychodynamic therapy.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #64
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    "Yoh! check it! Whats wiv all dah youth in Asia, that's Been killin all dese old people?"

    10 boogieman points to anyone who knows where that's from.
    i think it's from a sacha baron cohen movie, but i'm not sure which one.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #65
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    i think it's from a sacha baron cohen movie, but i'm not sure which one.
    Just for knowing that you get 10 boogieman points.

    It's Ali-G

    I can never even see the word euthanasia without thinking of that line... He was a comic genius...

  6. #66
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I completely disagree. Suicidal ideation is a symptom of a psychiatric illness.
    Unless they're suffering from some other condition that you thinks justifies suicide. And this is my problem with your position, and the position of the medical establishment-- you are claiming that you are the only ones with the training to decide whether or not someone's life is worth living when that judgement and that decision belongs rightfully, in all cases, with the person who must live the life whose terms you are dictating.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Wanting to die because of a terminal/degenerative illness is a different animal. It is not caused by any psychiatric disorder.
    By definition. And by nothing but definition, because your rationality argument is nothing but circular reasoning.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    It is irrelevant as to what someone needs/wants when they are not emotionally stable to be able to make those decisions in a rational way.
    It is not your place to decide.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    You are too fixated upon the notion that they can be helped to acknowledge that help may not be what they want or need.
    Help is what they need, if they are depressed. And most of the time, it is what they want as well - most suicide attempts are done half-heartedly, with the conscious or subconscious hope that even if they don't succeed (as often happens), people will realize how much pain they are in because they tried. But even if they are serious about it, help is what they need. It is what anyone with that level of depression needs, because severe depression is not permanent. As CC said, it would be unethical for any doctor who has taken an oath to help people to lead someone in need of help to their grave... not to mention the effect this would have on their family and others close to them, who would rightfully be doing everything in their power to stop it from happening.

    Many people who seriously tried suicide are eventually glad they didn't go through it. But nobody who did go through with suicide can regret it later, because they are permanently and irreversably dead.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Unless they're suffering from some other condition that you thinks justifies suicide. And this is my problem with your position, and the position of the medical establishment-- you are claiming that you are the only ones with the training to decide whether or not someone's life is worth living when that judgement and that decision belongs rightfully, in all cases, with the person who must live the life whose terms you are dictating.
    That's not quite accurate... if he's arguing in favor of euthanesia for the terminally ill, then that is a permanent condition which will lead to death anyways... whereas depression is a temporary and very reversable condition. He doesn't want to decide which life is "worth living", just which condition is reversable enough to not warrant an irreversable "solution", especially at the hands of a doctor.

  9. #69
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    In my opinion, euthanisia and assisted should be legal.
    I am also against hospitalizing people against their will for attempting suicide.

    Whether or not we agree with something shouldn't be a reason to ban it. In a free society we are our owners.

    It's my life. It's your life. As we have a right to our life that includes the right to end it if we feel it's necessary.

    It is the role of government to protect or civil liberties. Not to protect us from ourselves.

    The same can be said for many other laws.

    Post your thoughts here.
    That's a difficult issue to address for me.
    On euthanasia and assisted suicide, I'm a little ambivalent, because it's my personal view that if you want to kill yourself, you should do it yourself. Granted, there are circumstances where that's not possible, but this seems to be the minority. Suicide is a very serious matter to me, and I hate to see anyone who is in the mental state where this seems to be the best option.
    I also have some problems with the possibility of individuals being able to kill a family member off, then saying it's what the person wanted. Yeah, I realize it may be silly to even consider this, but people can get pretty desparate in certain situations.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #70
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I'm a little ambivalent, because it's my personal view that if you want to kill yourself, you should do it yourself.
    I would rather have assistance. I do not want to die alone, and an assistant can guarantee that the job is finished.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •