View Poll Results: What are your views on euthanasia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support it.

    22 53.66%
  • I'm against it.

    4 9.76%
  • It depends.

    14 34.15%
  • Other

    1 2.44%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

  1. #41
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    I have Parkinson's, first stage. There are 5 stages, and up to stage 3 it isn't too bad. Stage 4 won't be much fun, tho, and stage 5, well, I hope to die of something else before I get to stage 5. If I don't, I hope to be able to end my life on my own near the end of stage 4.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    I'm supposed to go in for testing to 'rule out' Parkinson's, or LBD. I am afraid.


    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I have Parkinson's, first stage. There are 5 stages, and up to stage 3 it isn't too bad. Stage 4 won't be much fun, tho, and stage 5, well, I hope to die of something else before I get to stage 5. If I don't, I hope to be able to end my life on my own near the end of stage 4.

  3. #43
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I'm supposed to go in for testing to 'rule out' Parkinson's, or LBD. I am afraid.
    What is LBD? Lewey Bodies?
    They say that a certain percentage of PD patients will get some kind of dementia, and that scares me more than the PD. Spending my life with minimal control of my body I can deal with, up to a point, but when the mind goes, and I don't even know my own relatives anymore, that is too much for me to deal with.
    I understand your fear, and good luck with your testing..
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #44
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not support any of those things. A mentally healthy person is not going to kill themselves. You don't let crazy people mutilate their bodies or kill themselves. Nor should a innocent human being be put to death against their will. As far as a lot of people are concerned there is no heaven,reincarnation or any of that other stuff and for those of us who do believe in those things there is no guarantee that you'll go to heaven or be reincarnated or something else. So it would behoove a lot of people to try to hang onto to their life as long as possible regardless of the pain and other inconveniences. There are people in **** hole third world war torn countries starving, suffering and victims of local wars who are glad to be alive and hang on to life but yet people in well to do countries such as ours act as though life is no big deal like its a penny you find on the street.
    You must be quite young, JamesRage. I could understand someone arguing on religious grounds, which I'd also argue right back, but to, in essence, say that one should hang on to life at all costs tells me that you haven't had a lot of experience with really, really sick people.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Yes, my mother is currently dying of LBD - and by currently I mean for the past five years. She is now at the point where she looks like a dead wax figure, and knows no one. But her heart just keeps on beating.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    What is LBD? Lewey Bodies?
    They say that a certain percentage of PD patients will get some kind of dementia, and that scares me more than the PD. Spending my life with minimal control of my body I can deal with, up to a point, but when the mind goes, and I don't even know my own relatives anymore, that is too much for me to deal with.
    I understand your fear, and good luck with your testing..

  6. #46
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You must be quite young, JamesRage. I could understand someone arguing on religious grounds, which I'd also argue right back, but to, in essence, say that one should hang on to life at all costs tells me that you haven't had a lot of experience with really, really sick people.
    My next door neighbor took 4 years to die of prostate cancer. The pain near the end was terrible. He had to take a lot of pain pills and they didn't always work. He died in Hospice care. The nurses who work at Hospice centers are dealing with this issue a lot. They have my praise. Beats me how they can work with terminal patients all the time and keep their sanity.
    Even worse, those nurses working at children's hospitals. It is bad enough to watch old people die, but children? My granddaughter (inoperable brain tumor) goes to Camp Rainbow every year, and each year she finds that some of her Rainbow friends have not survived.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #47
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    In my opinion, euthanisia and assisted should be legal.
    I am also against hospitalizing people against their will for attempting suicide.

    Whether or not we agree with something shouldn't be a reason to ban it. In a free society we are our owners.

    It's my life. It's your life. As we have a right to our life that includes the right to end it if we feel it's necessary.

    It is the role of government to protect or civil liberties. Not to protect us from ourselves.

    The same can be said for many other laws.

    Post your thoughts here.
    I think it's OK in a very limited set of circumstances: when a person has a terminal illness with no chance of recovery, is of sound mind, and is in great pain. I also think it's OK for people who have been sentenced to life in prison and are of sound mind.

    I completely disagree that people should generally not be hospitalized for attempting suicide. Yes, "we are our owners"...if we are of sound mind. And generally speaking, people who want to commit suicide (for some reason other than the ones I listed above) are NOT of sound mind. They need professional help; they do not need to be left to do whatever they want.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #48
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I completely disagree that people should generally not be hospitalized for attempting suicide. Yes, "we are our owners"...if we are of sound mind. And generally speaking, people who want to commit suicide (for some reason other than the ones I listed above) are NOT of sound mind. They need professional help; they do not need to be left to do whatever they want.
    They are in as much pain as anyone suffering from a terminal illness and their desire to die deserves as much respect.

  9. #49
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I completely disagree that people should generally not be hospitalized for attempting suicide. Yes, "we are our owners"...if we are of sound mind. And generally speaking, people who want to commit suicide (for some reason other than the ones I listed above) are NOT of sound mind. They need professional help; they do not need to be left to do whatever they want.

    This makes no sense to me.

    We all can't be rich, we all can't have the life we want. That's because life is not fair. That's just the way it is.

    So why take away a person's right to end their life when they want.

    I think the only reason more people don't commit suicide is because of the stigma attached to it.

    Why are they not of sound mind?

    Who gives the government the right to make tha decision?
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  10. #50
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: Your views on euthanisia, assisted suicide, suicide and attempted suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not support any of those things. A mentally healthy person is not going to kill themselves. You don't let crazy people mutilate their bodies or kill themselves. Nor should a innocent human being be put to death against their will. As far as a lot of people are concerned there is no heaven,reincarnation or any of that other stuff and for those of us who do believe in those things there is no guarantee that you'll go to heaven or be reincarnated or something else. So it would behoove a lot of people to try to hang onto to their life as long as possible regardless of the pain and other inconveniences. There are people in **** hole third world war torn countries starving, suffering and victims of local wars who are glad to be alive and hang on to life but yet people in well to do countries such as ours act as though life is no big deal like its a penny you find on the street.
    Why not? It's their life and their body. There's no justification in protecting one from themself. If they're not a danger to the public, a danger to oneself is no justification for the government to intervene.
    There is a lot more poverty in America than people are willing to believe. Just because the country is well off doesn't mean it's people are.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •