View Poll Results: When should the United States of America go to war?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always (I'll be surprised if anyone chooses this)

    6 5.41%
  • Frequently.

    0 0%
  • Often

    0 0%
  • Only when moderately necessary.

    4 3.60%
  • Sometimes.

    2 1.80%
  • When necessary.

    33 29.73%
  • Only when extremely necessary.

    30 27.03%
  • Rarely.

    4 3.60%
  • Almost never.

    8 7.21%
  • Never (Probably more people will choose this than the other extreme).

    24 21.62%
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 222

Thread: When should the United States of America go to war?

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    What about resources necessary to U.S. needs but available only in foreign lands, such as oil in the Middle East?
    That's weird.

    They're drilling in the Gulf for what, again?

    We have two trillion barrels of recoverable what in the Colorado shales?

    We're not exploring the contintental shelves for what again? We're not drilling for what in ANWR?

    We don't have coal reserves for how many centuries?

    So if some terrorists in a miserable middle eastern desert don't want to sell us oil, what do we have to do? Start a war instead of starting to drill?

    That make sense to you?

  2. #212
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    The Phase 2 Report was an anti-war protest put on paper.
    A protest by Specter and Snowe, who voted in favor of the war? Okay, if that's what you need to believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    The report was written in 2007 Rumsfeld was gone in 2006, and the last I heard Rumsfeld didn't write or influence the writing of the 2002 NIE and the Phase 1 Senate Report determined that intelligence analysts were in fact not pressured by the White House.
    Rumsfeld was gone to be replaced by another political appointee. That means a person who serves at the pleasure of the president and is charged with carrying out the president's policies. And the Pentagon set up its own intelligence operation, the Office of Special Plans, to generate estimates that were more incriminating than those of the other agencies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    According to who? Iran?
    According to the Bush administration, which issued an executive order and budgeted $400 million to support covert operations in Iran. Standard geo-political gamesmanship.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    Wow you're FOS, it has since been proven that Hezbollah was intentionally setting up positions around UN facilities as cover.
    That doesn't excuse the stated policy of intentionally attacking UN workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    Well that's interesting because I never claimed that Saddam had a working relationship with AQ proper. I said he was plotting attacks against the U.S. with Jihadist organizations including AQ affiliates.


    Here's the entire report:

    http://media.npr.org/documents/2008/...ntagonvol1.pdf

    The article I provided supplied direct quotes from the reports conclusions:



    It, also, posted quotes from a prior skeptic of the Saddam-Jihadist ties:
    I've read the report. As mentioned above, working with terrorist organizations that have a history of attacking US interests isn't necessarily something the US considers unacceptable. We're currently working with such groups in Iran because we think it promotes our larger goal of regime change there. Saddam had his own reasons for working with them, but there's no evidence that he wanted to initiate a direct attack on the US as Al Qaeda did.
    Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-14-10 at 03:17 PM.

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    A protest by Specter and Snowe, who voted in favor of the war?
    So did John Kerry, so did Harry Reid. What's your point?

    Rumsfeld was gone to be replaced by another political appointee. That means a person who serves at the pleasure of the president and is charged with carrying out the president's policies. And the Pentagon set up its own intelligence operation, the Office of Special Plans, to generate estimates that were more incriminating than those of the other agencies.
    Ya and the NIE was the compelation of work of all 16 members of the U.S. intelligence community not just the DOD and they all said Saddam had WMD and was continuing WMD production.


    According to the Bush administration, which issued an executive order and budgeted $400 million to support covert operations in Iran. Standard geo-political gamesmanship.
    What sort of covert operations? Source?


    That doesn't excuse the stated policy of intentionally attacking UN workers.
    lol that was not their stated policy, their stated policy was that a curfew was in place for anyone except humanitarian workers, are you suggesting that during a war you should allow engineers to start rebuilding strategic infastructure?

    I've read the report. As mentioned above, working with terrorist organizations that have a history of attacking US interests isn't necessarily something the US considers unacceptable. We're currently working with such groups in Iran
    Which groups? The MEK has never attacked the U.S. and there is no actual record of official U.S. support for them to begin with.

    because we think it promotes our larger goal of regime change there. Saddam had his own reasons for working with them, but there's no evidence that he wanted to initiate a direct attack on the US as Al Qaeda did.
    Once again he wasn't just plotting with Jihadist organizations who had a history of attacking the U.S. he was working with Jihadist organizations TOO attack the U.S..

  4. #214
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    So did John Kerry, so did Harry Reid. What's your point?
    The point is that if the committee wanted to protest the war, they could have done so by not voting for it. What they were protesting, and what they amply documented in the report, was the mishandling of intelligence leading up to the war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    Ya and the NIE was the compelation of work of all 16 members of the U.S. intelligence community not just the DOD and they all said Saddam had WMD and was continuing WMD production.
    No, they were actually more cautious in their assessment. But the Bush administration ignored the caveats and relied on the Penatgon to tell them what they wanted to hear--just like you're doing now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    What sort of covert operations? Source?
    See the link in my post above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    lol that was not their stated policy, their stated policy was that a curfew was in place for anyone except humanitarian workers, are you suggesting that during a war you should allow engineers to start rebuilding strategic infastructure?
    See the link in my post above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    Which groups? The MEK has never attacked the U.S. and there is no actual record of official U.S. support for them to begin with.
    See the link in my post above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    Once again he wasn't just plotting with Jihadist organizations who had a history of attacking the U.S. he was working with Jihadist organizations TOO attack the U.S..
    If we attacked them first. And even your report says the information on that is less than clear:

    However, the evidence is less clear in terms of Saddam's declared will at the time of OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM in 2003. Even with access to significant parts of the regime's most secretive archive, the answer to the question of Saddam's will in the final months in power remains elusive. Potentially, more significant documents and media files are awaiting analysis or are even yet to be discovered.
    Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-14-10 at 05:22 PM.

  5. #215
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    As in, when an "opportunity" presents itself (however slight and flimsy, or great and imperative), what reasons/incidents do you consider necessary to justify the USA going to war, or even a "conflict/whatever".

    Please choose your generalized poll option and post with your reasons for doing so.
    Never. We have the technology now to not get into any war. Just tell people that if ya try and kill any of us then we will use one nuke on their country of origin in an unpopulated area...second time capitol city..third time whole country. And then when the time comes that someone decides to "test" our resolve actually DO IT....mind you after a suitable investigation with evidence has been done. The kind that would stand up in a high court of law.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #216
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Never. We have the technology now to not get into any war. Just tell people that if ya try and kill any of us then we will use one nuke on their country of origin in an unpopulated area...second time capitol city..third time whole country. And then when the time comes that someone decides to "test" our resolve actually DO IT....mind you after a suitable investigation with evidence has been done. The kind that would stand up in a high court of law.
    We don't need nukes. I maintain that we should have launched cruise missles on Saudi Arabia based on the fact that nearly all the 9/11 terrorists were from that country. First give them the opportunity to pay in cash or oil for the damage they inflicted on us. Then demand that they arrest and deliver to us all their religious and political leaders that have, in the past, encouraged an attack on the USA. If they hesitate in the least, send missles to each of their major military sites that might be a threat to us. Give them a week to think about it. If they are still reluctant to meet our demands, send missles to the palaces of the Saudi royalty.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #217
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    The poll options kind of suck, so I'll just say what I think. The U.S. should go to war in response to an attack or preemptively in order to protect the American people.

  8. #218
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    We don't need nukes. I maintain that we should have launched cruise missles on Saudi Arabia based on the fact that nearly all the 9/11 terrorists were from that country. First give them the opportunity to pay in cash or oil for the damage they inflicted on us. Then demand that they arrest and deliver to us all their religious and political leaders that have, in the past, encouraged an attack on the USA. If they hesitate in the least, send missles to each of their major military sites that might be a threat to us. Give them a week to think about it. If they are still reluctant to meet our demands, send missles to the palaces of the Saudi royalty.
    So, because people come from a country, that makes the country responsible for the attacks? So, if a bunch of rogue Canadians blew up the Space Needle in Seattle, the U.S. should bomb Canada because they were Canadians? Silly reasoning...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #219
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    So, because people come from a country, that makes the country responsible for the attacks? So, if a bunch of rogue Canadians blew up the Space Needle in Seattle, the U.S. should bomb Canada because they were Canadians? Silly reasoning...
    If Canada knows they have a segment of their society that openly foments terrorism to the USA, and does nothing about it, and in fact allows other citizens to collect funds for that segment, then they are culpable....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #220
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    The reason the terrorists attack is because we've been over there for decades. We have bases in Saudi which is Muslim holy land, problems with Iran go back to the 50's when we supported the Shah, we attacked Iraq for no reason.

    Since WWII we've been meadling in the affairs of other nations.

    This all comes back as blow back. We overdue our agressiveness and it comes back to haunt us.

    If other countries did half the **** we do we'd be more than pissed.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •