View Poll Results: When should the United States of America go to war?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always (I'll be surprised if anyone chooses this)

    6 5.41%
  • Frequently.

    0 0%
  • Often

    0 0%
  • Only when moderately necessary.

    4 3.60%
  • Sometimes.

    2 1.80%
  • When necessary.

    33 29.73%
  • Only when extremely necessary.

    30 27.03%
  • Rarely.

    4 3.60%
  • Almost never.

    8 7.21%
  • Never (Probably more people will choose this than the other extreme).

    24 21.62%
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 222

Thread: When should the United States of America go to war?

  1. #121
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Exactly. You're essentially stealing at that point. Someone doesn't want to sell you X for the price you want, so you say it's ok to go in there; kill a bunch of people, and take X because we need it.
    Or just because we want it. We sent gunships to Japan to get them to reconsider their isolationist policies. Personally, I consider looting to be a perfectly valid reason for a war, but it isn't fair that our soldiers aren't allowed to profit from this kind of blatant economic bullying.

  2. #122
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Or just because we want it. We sent gunships to Japan to get them to reconsider their isolationist policies.
    Yeah, that brilliant strategy ended up creating a powerful enemy we had to fight for control of the Pacific.

    Personally, I consider looting to be a perfectly valid reason for a war, but it isn't fair that our soldiers aren't allowed to profit from this kind of blatant economic bullying.
    Looting is no longer a viable strategy. Trade is infinitely more profitable and doesn't have any where near the negative consequences. We have gained more in trade with Vietnam than could have ever been obtained by looting.

    Invading other countries in order to steal their resources should be used only in desperation. If you are in the middle of WW3 and need to invade venezuela for oil, so be it. Otherwise it is very unlikely the benefits would outweigh the costs.
    Last edited by rathi; 08-09-10 at 06:01 PM.

  3. #123
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Yeah, that brilliant strategy ended up creating a powerful enemy we had to fight for control of the Pacific.
    You know that he's talking about Perry's visit in 1853, right? And that the Japanese were our allies in WWI, right?
    FDR did far more to make Japan our enemy than anyone before or since.

    Looting is no longer a viable strategy. Trade is infinitely more profitable and doesn't have any where near the negative consequences.
    Presuming that trade is an option, yes. That's why the GWB critics that said we were going into Iraq to get the oil were so obviously wrong -- if that's what we wanted, we'd just buy it.
    However, if there is a commodity that we must have and no one is selling, going in to get it is a perfectly viable option.

    We have gained more in trade with Vietnam than could have ever been obtained by looting.
    Ooh -- nice. It would be even better had we been in Vietnam for economic purposes so that your comnparison had at least an iota of credibilit.

    Invading other countries in order to steal their resources should be used only in desperation.
    Good to see that you accept the premise.

  4. #124
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    My predictions were wrong (although probably self-defeating).

    The poll extremes "Always (I'll be surprised if anyone chooses this)" and "Never (Probably more people will choose this than the other extreme)" seem to have produced the opposite of my predictions.

    I wonder how many people voted "Always" just to be contrary?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    08-17-10 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    151

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I asked for evidence from the Qua-ran, not propagandist sites.So not only do you have a hatred for Islam but you yourself are a Christian radicalist. Or Jewish?How are you any better than "those muslims". You hate as they do. You ask for there destruction as they do others.How are you any less vile or disgusting then them? That's the point, your not any less disgusting or vile than they are.
    Not propaganda. There were dozens of verses from the Koran on there proving how Muslims are taught from birth to hate/kill infidels. Not a radical or a Jew, but I do love Jews. They are God's chosen. I don't kill people for not believing as I do. I don't threaten them, commit violent crimes if I am offended, or act like a wild animal. I don't hate women and treat them like garbage. I love Jesus Christ/God, not a moon god. Aren't personal attacks bannable offenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    ..How are you doing that without killing anyone? Or causing a huge international crisis which will result in retaliation? Which would result in the outbreak of formal hostilities, which would result in massive death?
    Sneak attack. Catch them off-guard. We have the technology. I think Barack Hussein Obama is too chicken and too much of a Muslim-lover to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Much like Christianity, Islam is not one monolithic whole, but a collection of sects that often disagree on what, precisely, the Koran tells them to do/not do.
    The Koran tells Muslims to kill non-believers. The Bible tells Christians to try to convert non-believers in love. Not by sawing their faces off.

  6. #126
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by chickie View Post
    Not propaganda. There were dozens of verses from the Koran on there proving how Muslims are taught from birth to hate/kill infidels.
    Why dont you buy a Quaran and actually find those versus. How much do you want a bet they are not actually in there?

    Not a radical or a Jew, but I do love Jews. They are God's chosen.
    "Jews are Gods chosen"? Is this supposed to make you credible?

    I don't kill people for not believing as I do. I don't threaten them, commit violent crimes if I am offended, or act like a wild animal. I don't hate women and treat them like garbage. I love Jesus Christ/God, not a moon god. Aren't personal attacks bannable offenses?
    I didn't attack you, i'm asking how a "all loving Christian" whose religion is taught to "tolerate and love" can actually sign up to a forum and slander Islam and show a clear hatred and distate towards it?
    Last edited by kaya'08; 08-10-10 at 05:07 AM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #127
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Or just because we want it. We sent gunships to Japan to get them to reconsider their isolationist policies. Personally, I consider looting to be a perfectly valid reason for a war, but it isn't fair that our soldiers aren't allowed to profit from this kind of blatant economic bullying.
    Yeah, but sadly we have rules against piracy now. So looting in and of itself is not a perfectly valid reason for war. It's a perfectly stupid reason for war though.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #128
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    As in, when an "opportunity" presents itself (however slight and flimsy, or great and imperative), what reasons/incidents do you consider necessary to justify the USA going to war, or even a "conflict/whatever".

    Please choose your generalized poll option and post with your reasons for doing so.
    There are a lot of 'real' answers, but the question SHOULD be posed "when do democrats support war" answer that is most relevant considering our history is "whenever a democrat president takes us to war, regardless of the justification."

  9. #129
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There are a lot of 'real' answers, but the question SHOULD be posed "when do democrats support war" answer that is most relevant considering our history is "whenever a democrat president takes us to war, regardless of the justification."
    Not the topic of discussion.

    Answer the poll/OP question.

    Or leave.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #130
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: When should the United States of America go to war?

    Quote Originally Posted by chickie View Post
    The Koran tells Muslims to kill non-believers. The Bible tells Christians to try to convert non-believers in love. Not by sawing their faces off.
    Much like very few (if any) Christians follow to the letter everything the Bible tells them to do, so also does only a minority of Muslims follow what they think is the Koran telling them to kill "infidels".

    And what’s with the “sawing their faces off”?
    -------

    All that said, I haven't read the Koran in part or in whole, so I have no idea if you are correct or incorrect.

    However, have you read that which you make claims upon?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •