View Poll Results: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Companies should have the right! Its weeds out bad folks

    14 17.95%
  • NO! My finances should NOT dictate what company hires me!

    47 60.26%
  • YES! In certain circumstances w/ jobs that handle money directly

    28 35.90%
  • Screw you and your Noodle race! Quit asking me things!

    7 8.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 154

Thread: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

  1. #81
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by chickie View Post
    Again, I disagree. It tells you everything. If that person has honor, integrity, makes paying their debt a priority, or is a deadbeat.
    Does a credit history tell you why someone was late on payments? Does a credit report tell you that Joe Schmo didn't pay his debts simply because he didn't feel like it? Are there little notations that say Joe Schmo has a job and no other obligations, no family emergencies but simply just refused to pay? Seeing how a credit report does not say any of those things you can't say someone lacks honor, integrity or is a deadbeat(someone who deliberately does not pay their debts even though they have the ability to do so). Stuff does come up, people lose jobs, people or their kids have emergencies, and all kinds of other stuff happens that would cause a person to be tardy in their payments.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #82
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If being good with money is an important qualification for the job, then yes, they should be able to check your credit. If it has nothing to do with the job and they just want to check it to see how responsible you are, no. I think that should be illegal. I don't like the precedent that it sets for credit checks to become a commonplace, trivial thing. The individual right to privacy is, frankly, more important than the employer's right to snoop around the employee's life to unearth anything that may or may not reflect on the employee's personal attributes, just because they can.
    It would be very unfair to applicants who have worked really hard and planned and been responsible and built up good credit scores to not allow them the opportunity to have their credit report checked, if that would help them get a job. Just like it would be very unfair for people who have perfect driving records, or no criminal convictions, or good grades in school, or college degrees to be denied the opportunity to prove that also.

    If these things don't matter to an employer, they won't check. If they do matter, they need to be ABLE to check with applicant permission of course.

    I've never been perfect, but I always try to do the right thing. It would be very unfair to me to loose a job opportunity to someone who is less worthy or qualified just because some stupid beurocrat decides that he wants CONTROL employers.

  3. #83
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Does a credit history tell you why someone was late on payments? Does a credit report tell you that Joe Schmo didn't pay his debts simply because he didn't feel like it? Are there little notations that say Joe Schmo has a job and no other obligations, no family emergencies but simply just refused to pay? Seeing how a credit report does not say any of those things you can't say someone lacks honor, integrity or is a deadbeat(someone who deliberately does not pay their debts even though they have the ability to do so). Stuff does come up, people lose jobs, people or their kids have emergencies, and all kinds of other stuff happens that would cause a person to be tardy in their payments.
    Actually, everyone has a legal right to have rebuttels or explainations attached to their credit report. I have done this several times.

    If someone applied for a job with my company, and if I checked their credit report (which I dont by the way), and they had 14 loans that were all defaulted on, I would think that it is a pretty good indicator that they are not responsible. Past performance is the best indicator of future performance. But if they had 14 loans and all were marked "paid as agreed" except for one, I probably wouldn't be concerned about it. One "strike" does not an "out" make. If I was on the edge about the applicant, then I would certainly call the applicant in for a second interview (which I do anyway) and discuss the issue with them. The job applicant deserves that.

    If we start outlawing credit checks, then whats next? Outlawing school transcripts? After all, some people had unreasonable teachers who consistantly gave them bad grades. Should we then outlaw criminal background checks? Some people probably have lenthy criminal records - but they were setup all 23 times. Maybe we shouldn't allow hospitals to verify that doctors are actually licensed. Driving record checks should be outlawed also - never can tell when someone was just down on their luck when they got caught driving 105 in a 35 zone. And certainly musicians shouldn't have to audition for a gig, every musician has an occasional bad performance so it would be unfair to judge them based upon an audition. And of course we shouldn't give color blindness tests to printers either, that would be unfair to discriminate against someone just because he is physically incapable of doing a job. Certification requirments for IT specialists or dental hygeniest - hogwash, they shouldnt have to PROVE that they can do a job before they are hired. Whats this world coming to, the next thing you know the patient is going to start asking me if I went to medical school before I perform brain surgery on them.

  4. #84
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Actually, everyone has a legal right to have rebuttels or explainations attached to their credit report. I have done this several times.

    If someone applied for a job with my company, and if I checked their credit report (which I dont by the way), and they had 14 loans that were all defaulted on, I would think that it is a pretty good indicator that they are not responsible. Past performance is the best indicator of future performance. But if they had 14 loans and all were marked "paid as agreed" except for one, I probably wouldn't be concerned about it. One "strike" does not an "out" make. If I was on the edge about the applicant, then I would certainly call the applicant in for a second interview (which I do anyway) and discuss the issue with them. The job applicant deserves that.
    Loans are between that individual and the lenders. Not the employers and employees(unless of course that employer is lending money to the employee).



    If we start outlawing credit checks, then whats next? Outlawing school transcripts?
    And if we keep allowing employers to peek in private affairs of their employees, then what's next? Video cameras in the homes of their employees? Mandatory phone taps of employees? Forced/coerced chip implants of employees? I agree that an employer should be able to hire and fire you any reason they want, however your right to privacy and other constitutional rights to a certian degree should not be compromised.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 08-09-10 at 07:24 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #85
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Loans are between that individual and the lenders. Not the employers and employees(unless of course that employer is lending money to the employee).
    True. But what does that have to do with anything? Employment relationships are between individuals and their employers. No one (in America at least) forces anyone to work for a particular employer. If you don't like their policies, then quit. If the employer doesn't like your policies, they they should be able to fire you.

    Should a business hire someone to be an accountant or manager or money handler that can't even manage their own finances? I think that we are all in agreeance that employers shouldn't check someones credit report just to be nosey, but has there been any problems with that? It's not exactly like we are seeing protests in the street over the issue. I don't see any reason not to trust our employers to make a reasonable decision to whether or not they have a legitimate need to check employee credit reports. No where in the constitution does it say that people with bad credit have a right to a job at just any workplace. Good companies want good employees, that's what makes them good. Should we expect all companies to settle with being mediocre?

    And if we keep allowing employers to peek in private affairs of their employees, then what's next? Video cameras in the homes of their employees? Mandatory phone taps of employees? Forced/coerced chip implants of employees? I agree that an employer should be able to hire and fire you any reason they want, however your right to privacy and other constitutional rights to a certian degree should not be compromised.
    I don't see any issue with any of that assuming that the employee is willing to concent to it. There is nothing wrong with most anything when mutually concented between adults. Heck, I would be willing to wear a head-cam 24 hours a day, be credit checked, be drug tested, be lie detector tested, be photographed nude, and to be strip searched every day and if the job paid enough.

    You are basically suggesting that private employers are evil and that private companies and private individuals need to be constantly supervised by government.
    Last edited by imagep; 08-09-10 at 07:55 PM.

  6. #86
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    It would be very unfair to applicants who have worked really hard and planned and been responsible and built up good credit scores to not allow them the opportunity to have their credit report checked, if that would help them get a job. Just like it would be very unfair for people who have perfect driving records, or no criminal convictions, or good grades in school, or college degrees to be denied the opportunity to prove that also.
    ...and just like it would be unfair to people who have never committed adultery to not be allowed the opportunity to have their potential employers station a private investigator in the bushes outside of their bedroom window.

    The privacy-destroying precedent that this would set is a much more important concern than the "opportunity" for employees with nothing to hide to allow employers to check. Are there really a lot of good-credit individuals who are beating down the doors of potential employers, demanding that they check their credit? I don't think so. Chances are, a lot of good-credit individuals resent having to submit to a credit check too.

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep
    If these things don't matter to an employer, they won't check. If they do matter, they need to be ABLE to check with applicant permission of course.

    I've never been perfect, but I always try to do the right thing. It would be very unfair to me to loose a job opportunity to someone who is less worthy or qualified just because some stupid beurocrat decides that he wants CONTROL employers.
    If there is a legitimate reason why someone with a poor credit history is less worthy or qualified for a particular job, then I completely agree. If the employer just wants to check because he can, then that simply isn't a good enough reason to justify extensive snooping.

    Invasions of privacy are invasions of privacy, whether they come from government bureaucrats or corporate bureaucrats.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-09-10 at 08:00 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #87
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    ...If there is a legitimate reason why someone with a poor credit history is less worthy or qualified for a particular job, then I completely agree. If the employer just wants to check because he can, then that simply isn't a good enough reason to justify extensive snooping.
    So how many times have you hear about potential employers stationing a private investigator in the bushes outside of their bedroom window? Is that an issue in your village? Did they do this to you with or without your consent? Did they take pictures? That's just really creepy, I will agree.

    Thats the thing, not a single poster has suggested that employers check credit "just because he can". It cost money for a company to do that, why in the world would they do that without a legitimate reason? If they choose to do so, without any evidence to the contrary, I have to assume that they have a reason to do so. Also, not a single poster on this forum ever indicated that they had been in any way harmed by an employer checking their credit. It's not a normal policy of any employer, other than employers who have a need to do so.

    Now if anyone can provide any links to news stories that indicate that the practice of credit checking employees without a legitimate reason, and that employees or potential employees have been unfairly harmed, is common place, I may be willing to reconsider my position.
    Last edited by imagep; 08-09-10 at 08:13 PM.

  8. #88
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by chickie View Post
    Good point. I don't care but it's an interesting question.
    So you care more about the integrity of your employees and less about the integrity of the people you do business with?

  9. #89
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    LMFAO If all the "good" companies do that, then all of the "good" companies don't have very many employees, which means they're not going to be "good" companies any longer. Not to mention the seriously bad PR that's going to be going on. All the boycotting and whatnot.

    In this day and age, the free market takes care of that ****.
    I agree! Bill may ban pre-employment credit checks
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  10. #90
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    LMFAO If all the "good" companies do that, then all of the "good" companies don't have very many employees, which means they're not going to be "good" companies any longer. Not to mention the seriously bad PR that's going to be going on. All the boycotting and whatnot.

    In this day and age, the free market takes care of that ****.
    I don't understand this blind faith that the free market always produces the socially optimal result. Businesses are motivated by profit, not by being good citizens of the world. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's absurd to think that bad PR is enough to keep companies in line 100% of the time. Sometimes the law needs to step in and say "enough is enough." Invasions of privacy aren't more tolerable just because they're being perpetrated by a corporate hack instead of a government hack.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •