View Poll Results: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Companies should have the right! Its weeds out bad folks

    14 17.95%
  • NO! My finances should NOT dictate what company hires me!

    47 60.26%
  • YES! In certain circumstances w/ jobs that handle money directly

    28 35.90%
  • Screw you and your Noodle race! Quit asking me things!

    7 8.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 154

Thread: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

  1. #31
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    I strongly feel that a company has ZERO right to access anything in my person history. In fact I dont even know if access to criminal history is reasonable. If the person isnt in jail and can perform the job.... which means the government feels he is free to go, then he should also be able to get a job if he has served out his punishment already.
    Companies have FAR to much power over individual lives. Now some companies are saying they wont hire you if youre FAT. Or they wont pay you as much because of the insurance premiums! **** them!
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    I strongly feel that a company has ZERO right to access anything in my person history. In fact I dont even know if access to criminal history is reasonable. If the person isnt in jail and can perform the job.... which means the government feels he is free to go, then he should also be able to get a job if he has served out his punishment already.
    Companies have FAR to much power over individual lives. Now some companies are saying they wont hire you if youre FAT. Or they wont pay you as much because of the insurance premiums! **** them!

    Do you want people working around children who have criminal records for child abuse or sexual offenses?

  3. #33
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    I strongly feel that a company has ZERO right to access anything in my person history. In fact I dont even know if access to criminal history is reasonable. If the person isnt in jail and can perform the job.... which means the government feels he is free to go, then he should also be able to get a job if he has served out his punishment already.
    Companies have FAR to much power over individual lives. Now some companies are saying they wont hire you if youre FAT. Or they wont pay you as much because of the insurance premiums! **** them!
    Oh, Noodle, you picked the wrong argument here. In our litigeous society, companies have to be exceedingly careful who they hire. A background check for criminal records is an absolute must in soooooo many jobs. In addition to 1069's example, how about bus drivers who've been convicted of drunk driving? I could list plenty of positions where one's criminal convictions would open a company to massive liability.

    Having said that, I honestly feel for people who've done their time. The way things are set up, they have a really hard time integrating back into society. Employers just don't want to take a chance on them. I wish it were different.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    It depends. If you are applying to be a construction worker or a table busser probably not. If you are applying to be a federal prosecutor, a bank controller, an FBI special agent, or an accountant probably so.
    I disagree and I'll tell you a short story from my past that will explain why:

    I applied to work at three different distributerships as a route driver, where I would be up to a thousand dollars in cash everyday. At the time, my credit was completely in the crapper. I was turned down for all three jobs. I was purdy offended because I wasn't hired and after some persistance, they finally told me that it was because of my bad credit.

    The moral of the story is, I'm not a thief. If I were a thief, it wouldn't have anything to do with my credit score.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Do you want people working around children who have criminal records for child abuse or sexual offenses?
    It's not a crime to have bad credit, or be in debt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #36
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    I say NO, it no one's business what a individual fiances are, if one is hired and then commits theft then we have laws for this.

  7. #37
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I once had a deadbeat tenant who didn't pay rent. In the end, I went to his employer to attach his wages, this after having taken the **** to court. He paid up when the employer told him he'd be fired if his wages were attached. Employers like responsible employees for some reason or other.

    I didn't want him to be fired, of course. I'd never had gotten my money if he had been.
    I don't know what state this was in, but I could definately see a case for wrongful termination in some states...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #38
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    My current job checked my credit and I had no problem with it. Why did they check it because I handle at least $2,000 to $5,000 of cash a day and I also handle credit. If I have a problem with it, then I can go find a different job, its the same mentality behind the drug test.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  9. #39
    User goldcatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    10-20-10 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    58

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    I agree with Noodle that companies have too much power over our lives already. And the credit bureaus (all of them defined as credit reporting agencies under FCRA, not just the Big Three that keep track of whether you pay your bills but the dozens of others providing everything from private health information to full background investigations to your amassed public records) are companies. They are companies who exist for one purpose, to serve other companies. Primarily lenders and insurers, who have the greatest influence on the rules these agencies have to follow and are their main clients. They are not user friendly for consumers nor in most cases designed or scored with employers' interests, abilities or concerns in mind. Ever try to get an error on your financial credit corrected?

    Now how about errors on the ones you don't know about? Like this agency, until recently used by many employers that collects and files away everything from your driving history to history of insurance claims to DNA testing: EPIC - Choicepoint

    Ask questions, don't just assume a prosepective employer will pull your FICO from Equifax and be done with it. And don't assume your current employer who checked your credit isn't also reporting your every smoke break, on the job injury, sick day, claim made on your health plan, results of any employer-required and paid medical test and more to a "commercial database" (Read: FCRA defined credit bureau) like Choicepoint (itself now defunct due to lawsuits, privacy violations and other problems - see link above) for your next potential employer to read in minute detail.
    Last edited by goldcatt; 08-01-10 at 02:45 PM.
    It could always be worse.

  10. #40
    User goldcatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    10-20-10 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    58

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Choicepoint was purchased in 2008 by the company that owns and operates LexisNexis - it is now known as LexisNexis Risk Solutions. Their most touted employment screening package? A behavioral prediction online quiz that takes 5-8 minutes to complete and delivers nothing but a single score, and a complete background check using the company's database in addition to public records.

    Press Releases - LexisNexis Risk Solutions
    Candidate Eligibility Factors - LexisNexis

    Scary stuff. And this is also a credit report under the definition of FCRA.
    It could always be worse.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •