View Poll Results: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Companies should have the right! Its weeds out bad folks

    14 17.95%
  • NO! My finances should NOT dictate what company hires me!

    47 60.26%
  • YES! In certain circumstances w/ jobs that handle money directly

    28 35.90%
  • Screw you and your Noodle race! Quit asking me things!

    7 8.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 154

Thread: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

  1. #11
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I think its pretty much the employer's call and I agree with you-if you don't want an employer doing that its your absolute right not to apply for a job with such an employer. but if someone applies for a job handling say my money or your stocks or someone else's pensions I sure don't want someone who is facing bankruptcy or foreclosure doing that.
    Well maybe stockbrokers should have an offical sucess fail rate.But for most jobs i dont think it matters.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  2. #12
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I understand your concerns, but a good credit rating does not always correlate to personal integrity. I've known plenty of people of great moral character who are bad credit risks, and plenty of people who are morally bankrupt that have good credit ratings.
    true and there are guys with perfect SAT scores and top of their class who flunk out of college and there are people who barely got into college but graduate Summa cum Laude but there is a reasonable correlation I think between a good credit rating (which can establish something other than personal integrity-someone about to go bankrupt might be easier "bought" than someone who is flush)

    but the bottom line is I believe those who run businesses should have a great deal of latitude in what they can do as to hiring and firing.

    that is my main point



  3. #13
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Yes for instances where money needs to be handled as part of the job.
    However if handling Money is not part of the job, then NO.

  4. #14
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    but the bottom line is I believe those who run businesses should have a great deal of latitude in what they can do as to hiring and firing.

    that is my main point
    You're right, it's just that I tend to view the world through libertarian lenses as an employee rather than as an employer. I do see your point though.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #15
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Can someone explain the logic to me of why your credit ranting goes down with an employment credit check?

    I don't have real problems with credit checks by potential employers aside from that instance. Trying to get a job shouldn't hurt your credit rating.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #16
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Can someone explain the logic to me of why your credit ranting goes down with an employment credit check?

    I don't have real problems with credit checks by potential employers aside from that instance. Trying to get a job shouldn't hurt your credit rating.
    hard to say-some feds with high security clearances get delayed on instant background checks to buy guns because there is constant activity of government agencies checking on them. But it seems having your credit checked should be neutral



  7. #17
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Are you sure it does? I know if one is buying a home and shopping for mortgages, as an example, multiple credit checks don't effect their scores -- if done within a specific timeframe. I don't think your score is effected by a single credit check; multiples, of course, bring scores down. Maybe it's just a matter of a computer program not being written to take into account the "reason" for the check. If that's the case, that's just not right, in my opinion.

    Unless a credit check is done in anticipation of extending credit, why would it impact one's credit?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Can someone explain the logic to me of why your credit ranting goes down with an employment credit check?

    I don't have real problems with credit checks by potential employers aside from that instance. Trying to get a job shouldn't hurt your credit rating.
    Maybe the credit raters figure that if you're looking for work, you may soon be unemployed? That's the only reason I can think of why it would affect your credit score.

    Sure, an employer should be able to screen out deadbeats before hiring. If you have twenty five applicants, and want to get the best one, then one factor could well be the guy who pays his bills. It shows responsibility.

    I once had a deadbeat tenant who didn't pay rent. In the end, I went to his employer to attach his wages, this after having taken the **** to court. He paid up when the employer told him he'd be fired if his wages were attached. Employers like responsible employees for some reason or other.

    I didn't want him to be fired, of course. I'd never had gotten my money if he had been.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #19
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    hard to say-some feds with high security clearances get delayed on instant background checks to buy guns because there is constant activity of government agencies checking on them.
    Not relevant

    But it seems having your credit checked should be neutral
    But as I understand the formula, it's an inquiry and generally results in 5 point decline for a single with rapidly rising deductions the more inquiries that you apply for. So if you apply for 10 jobs and all 10 check your credit, that will hurt considerably.

    That makes no sense.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #20
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Regarding Hiring, Should Companies be able to Check your Credit?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not relevant



    But as I understand the formula, it's an inquiry and generally results in 5 point decline for a single with rapidly rising deductions the more inquiries that you apply for. So if you apply for 10 jobs and all 10 check your credit, that will hurt considerably.

    That makes no sense.
    I agree with you but just as the case of the cops-lots of activity might (based on some statistical predictor) suggest a problem

    Nothing more nothing less.



Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •