View Poll Results: Should commercials promotic Alcoholic bevarges be banned from TV?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 37.29%
  • No

    34 57.63%
  • other

    3 5.08%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

  1. #21
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Ofc it should be banned or at the very least restricted.
    If I don't get to see my smoking adverts anymore and fast food ads are restricted till after watershed. So should alcohol. It is a drug, no more or less harmful than the illegal drugs
    I would support a ban on alcohol if it was proposed by Parliament. It is a drug, no more or less harmful than the illegal drugs
    That worked real well last time we tried it here in the states. You might want to read up on what a raging success Prohibition was.

    Though I would agree with you that alcohol is no more or less harmful than at least some illegal drugs. But that fact leads me to a far different conclusion than expanding the so called war on drugs.
    Last edited by Psychoclown; 07-30-10 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Added stuff
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    That worked real well last time we tried it here in the states. You might want to read up on what a raging success Prohibition was.

    Though I would agree with you that alcohol is no more or less harmful than at least some illegal drugs. But that fact leads me to a far different conclusion than expanding the so called war on drugs.
    I don't see the difference between illegal drugs and alcohol. Both has devastating impacts on body and health apart from the fact that one is "socially acceptable" and the other one isn't.

    And yeah ban may not work the other option is ofc, legalising all drugs and taxing it. I wouldn't mind Parliament taxing alcohol to the hilt either and restricting supermarkets "own brand" alcohol which exacerbates the binge drinking.
    Last edited by Laila; 07-30-10 at 01:31 AM.


  3. #23
    User WingsOfDesire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-16-10 @ 03:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    64

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    It's called freedom of speech. Could you impose certain limitations on the advertising? Sure. I mean, Joe Cool ain't around anymore, so it's not hard to imagine the commercials being targeted. But your original question is an outright ban, so I have to say no, even though I understand the intent.
    "When the child was a child / it didnít know that it was a child / everything was soulful / and all souls were one." - Damiel

  4. #24
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Various studies have shown that legalizing or decriminalizing drugs has little to no affect on user rates. Similarly, when Prohibition was in affect here, the booze was still flowing freely. Speakeasies where illegal, but still commonly accepted. So I disagree that a ban would "limit it a lot". Prohibition was a complete disaster. People still drank. We flushed millions of dollars enforcing a law that nobody wanted. And created a blackmarket that funded violent criminal cartels. Perhaps you've heard of the Mafia? They rose to unheard of power and prominence thanks to Prohibition.

    As for taxing it into oblivion, I hate so called sin taxes. First off, often it isn't a sin tax, but "other people's sin tax". No one ever supports taxing their own little vice, be it booze, drugs, tobbacco, or fast food. Secondly, tax policy should be based on finding a fair and efficient way to fund necessary government functions. It shouldn't be used for social engineering.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    As for taxing it into oblivion, I hate so called sin taxes. First off, often it isn't a sin tax, but "other people's sin tax". No one ever supports taxing their own little vice, be it booze, drugs, tobbacco, or fast food. Secondly, tax policy should be based on finding a fair and efficient way to fund necessary government functions. It shouldn't be used for social engineering.
    That is all well and good but if the Government has fooled itself into thinking making drugs illegal will somehow "stop them" then I'm sure they can expand that delusion to include alcohol.

    And as for taxes, why not?
    I didn't like the increase of tax on my fags, the watershed mark, the change of law for smokers but I still understood why the Government did it. Parliament cannot please everyone.
    Last edited by Laila; 07-30-10 at 01:46 AM.


  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I agree that parents should have more influence over their children but my observations in this day and age make me wonder, generally speaking, how many actually do.

    My nephew comes to mind. He has good parents. He's in his teens now and thinks he's black. All his friends think they're black. In fact, they give blacks a bad name they are so bad at it.

    I KNOW he didn't get it from his parents.

    All that being said, keep in mind that I am an old fart and I probably just don't understand.
    OK, but that's not my problem. People have to raise their own kids. I should not be held responsible because of it. The tobacco and alcohol companies shouldn't be held responsible because of it. People make the choice to have kids. It's hard, it's not easy, it's tough and requires countless hours. That's their choice and the consequence of it. Why can't a tobacco company have a commercial? Because kids may see it? If a parent can't sit down with their kid and overall in their life have a more positive and powerful influence over their kids than a commercial...well they probably shouldn't have been a parent in the first place. But it's not my problem, and it's not the tobacco company's problem, and it's not the alcohol company's problem. It's the parents problem. They have to do the work, they have to put in the effort. Yes, tobacco and alcohol are bad for you, certainly there is room for reasonable regulation to make them state these things. But people are free to make choices, and if someone chooses to smoke or drink; that's their choice. They are beholden to the consequences of it. No one else.

    I grow weary of the "Oh won't someone please think of the children" arguments. Helen Lovejoy coming out of the woodwork. And the "it's bad for you" argument is just as bad. Who are you to tell me what I can or can't do? Just because it's bad for me doesn't mean I can't do it or the company can't advertise. If some people are so strongly inclined to try to save us from ourselves, they should be pushing for prohibition. But as it stands, tobacco and alcohol are legal products. And there's no reason to forbid a company selling legal products from advertising their products. That's it. Don't care if it "influences the children", go be a parent. I don't care if "it's bad for me", it's my damned choice. If it's legal, it should be allowed to be advertised.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    That is all well and good but if the Government has fooled itself into thinking making drugs illegal will somehow "stop them" then I'm sure they can expand that delusion to include alcohol.
    I want to make sure I understand you. You're saying because the folks who run government are delusional enough to believe their failed policy of drug probition is effective, that's the reason we should expand that failed policy to include alcohol? That can't possibly be your stance. I must be misunderstanding you.

    And as for taxes, why not?
    I didn't like the increase of tax on my fags, the watershed mark, the change of law for smokers but I still understood why the Government did it. Parliament cannot please everyone.
    Because taxing someone because you don't like what they are doing is a policy just begging for abuse. Would you be OK with a tax on fast food? Unhealthy snacks like pop and potato chips? Lady Gaga CDs? White Sox gear? All of them are bad for you. We should tax them all into oblivion.
    Last edited by Psychoclown; 07-30-10 at 01:58 AM.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  8. #28
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    And I might also add you haven't addressed the negative consequences of prohibition. Obviously you don't object to violation of personal liberty to decide what will injest into your own body. But are you ok with spending (aka wasting) billions of dollars to arrest, prosecute, and incarcarate non-violent drug offenders who harmed no one other than possibly themselves? Do you not object to creating a black market that funds violent criminal cartels?
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    Unhealthy snacks like pop and potato chips? Lady Gaga CDs? White Sox gear? All of them are bad for you. We should tax them all into oblivion.
    Oh tax the **** out of White Sox gear! God damned White Sox!
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    [These] commercials do a great job of portraying consumption of "Alcohol" as cool and fun. I got nothing against Alcohol but I really don't think we need to have these advertisements, it should be regulated like Tobacco companies when it comes to advertising.
    I disagree alcohol is not an addictive substance like tobacco. I have disagreements with the government taxing an addictive substance as well. But you're also kind of wrong. Alcohol happens to be cool and fun.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •