View Poll Results: Should commercials promotic Alcoholic bevarges be banned from TV?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 37.29%
  • No

    34 57.63%
  • other

    3 5.08%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    What is the most important to you , not brain washing susceptible kids or a watered down version of free speech.

    I still don't go along with the dumb ruling that political contributions are free speech.
    "Money talks" is just an expression, not a political justification.

    ricksfolly
    How is a commercial brain washing? Companies shouldn't have their rights taken away because kids are going to be ignorant and stupid. Regardless, the parents should be the ones educating their children's on the harms of cigarettes and alcohol. Brainwashing isn't 30 second commercials.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,886
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    I've noticed that since cigarette companies were banned from advertising there have been a lot more laws put into effect regarding cigarettes. Mainly because they are not allowed to advertise I would bet. I like how alcohol companies advertise. "Be Responsible" has become thier mantra really. Why couldn't cigarette companies do the same? Basically since they can't defend themselves through advertising and all we are seeing are the advertisements designed to tear them down...well smoking cigarettes is being phased out.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    There are actual health benefits to moderate alcohol consumption, unlike cigarettes where any minuscule health benefits claimed by proponents are vastly overshadowed by the dangers to health. You can smoke one pack of cigarettes and the tar lodged in your lungs could trigger mutation even 10 years later. There is no "safe dose" for cigarette smoking. There aren't thousands of known poisons in beer that are deliberately added to increase addiction. I fully support regulating tobacco as well as bans on public smoking. Cigarettes are a danger to society even more so than 100 years ago because of how they are formulated. Even if people were just smoking plain tobacco leaves like they used to, I would have much less of a problem with that than I do manufactured cigarettes.

    Alcohol in small doses (like one beer or a glass of wine with supper) has some benefits to the body. One reason is that you are introducing a small amount of a foreign toxin into the body. Your liver reacts by purging it, but in doing so it also purges other stored toxins through urination and bile. Alcohol in small doses basically kicks your body's detoxing process into high gear. So the net effect is that your body is less toxic. If you get hammered, then you are doing more damage to your body and the net risk is much higher, such as to your liver and brain.

    My main problem with alcohol advertising is that it focuses a lot on the partying aspect of drinking, which involves excess that hurts your body. We don't often see commercials that show couples sitting down to dinner and having a beer or glass or wine (which is actually quite romantic!), or drinking in a more casual way. We only see the party aspect because it encourages people to consume more which means they buy more, and as a side effect, party culture and drinking have become synonymous.

    I disagree that advertising only boils down to private ventures and personal choices. Even if you don't drink, advertising affects society and culture. In the 1950's doctors were prescribing cigarettes for sore throats and for women that tended to give birth to large babies (nicotine stunts fetal growth). It was considered the norm for men to smoke and it was very pervasive. Once the tobacco industry was debunked and the proof became widespread, smoking declined sharply, and part of that is that advertising cigarettes was illegalized. Thanks to that, my generation is free of the notion that "real men smoke", and I don't have to risk cancer to gain social acceptance.

    I agree with this illegalization for the health of society, but alcohol is less certain.
    Last edited by Orion; 07-29-10 at 08:55 PM.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Tobacco companies have very strict regulations for advertising but why is it so relaxed when it comes to Alcohol companies. I can't watch a TV show or getting on the internet without seeing some kind of Alcoholic beverage commercial.

    This commercials do a great job of portraying consumption of "Alcohol" as cool and fun. I got nothing against Alcohol but I really don't think we need to have these advertisements, it should be regulated like Tobacco companies when it comes to advertising.
    I ignore all the obnoxious TV and radio advertisements, as best I can.
    Mute is one of man's greatest inventions.
    Those who do watch the commercials...I have no sympathy; do need to "get a life"..
    Marajuana will end up being promoted on TV.....But I detest all advertising anyway; I'd like to see more PBS and PCN and C-Span and less commercial TV.

  5. #15
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Please, like TV has more influence over children than their parents. Maybe parents should watch what their "susceptible kids" are watching and make better judgments off of that. Tobacco and alcohol are legal substances. Companies which sell these legal products should not be barred from advertising.
    If you tell kids what not to watch, they'll still find ways do it when you're not around. Not seeing them is better because it won't put pressure on the parents. Out of sight, out of mind. Child Psychology 101

    ricksfolly

  6. #16
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    If you tell kids what not to watch, they'll still find ways do it when you're not around. Not seeing them is better because it won't put pressure on the parents. Out of sight, out of mind. Child Psychology 101

    ricksfolly
    People are responsible for there own decisions and the consequences there of

    Freedom 101
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #17
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    If you tell kids what not to watch, they'll still find ways do it when you're not around. Not seeing them is better because it won't put pressure on the parents. Out of sight, out of mind. Child Psychology 101

    ricksfolly
    I'm so sick of people crying "what about the children!" on this or that. If you want your children to avoid bad things like booze, cigerettes, and soccer guess who's responsible for making that happen? You, the parent. Don't restrict other people's freedom because you don't want little Johnny or little Suzy exposed to this or that.

    If you don't want your kid exposed to sex on TV, they have this wonderful invention called the remote control. It allows you to change the channel or even turned the stinking box off. If you don't want your kid to hear naughty words on the radio, it also comes equipped with this marvelous thing called the on/off switch. If you don't want your children to get involved in booze and smokes at a young age ... here's a radical thought. Talk to your kids about the dangers of alcohol and tobacco use! I know its amazing to think that you can actually take an active role in your child's life and don't have to rely on the government to be an overprotective parent for your kids and the rest of the population.

    "What about the children" has got to be one of the most brain dead, knee jerk justifications for policy ever invented. If these people were around during the Reniassance, Michealangelo would've never been allowed to scuplt David, because little Suzy would've seen a ding dong and we can't have that!
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  8. #18
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    The abuse of alcohol is one of the most pervasive social problems affecting our society. Alcohol advertising glamorizes and encourages that abuse.

  9. #19
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,673

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Please, like TV has more influence over children than their parents. Maybe parents should watch what their "susceptible kids" are watching and make better judgments off of that. Tobacco and alcohol are legal substances. Companies which sell these legal products should not be barred from advertising.
    I agree that parents should have more influence over their children but my observations in this day and age make me wonder, generally speaking, how many actually do.

    My nephew comes to mind. He has good parents. He's in his teens now and thinks he's black. All his friends think they're black. In fact, they give blacks a bad name they are so bad at it.

    I KNOW he didn't get it from his parents.

    All that being said, keep in mind that I am an old fart and I probably just don't understand.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Should Alcohol companies not be allowed to advertise?

    Ofc it should be banned or at the very least restricted.
    If I don't get to see my smoking adverts anymore and fast food ads are restricted till after watershed. So should alcohol. I would support a ban on alcohol if it was proposed by Parliament. It is a drug, no more or less harmful than the illegal drugs
    Last edited by Laila; 07-30-10 at 01:24 AM.


Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •