View Poll Results: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    21 48.84%
  • No, because...

    22 51.16%
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 418

Thread: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

  1. #181
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    BCR liblady SE102

    Care to explain your poll response?
    i don't like the term. care to explain your "gotcha" posting?

  2. #182
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Is it Obama's fault that people freak out over the use of "niggardly" or that white people and republicans would gotten **** for using the word "mongrel" correctly as he did?
    Actually, yes, partially, having been involved with and in leadership positions among those who do so freak. Perhaps a very, very small part given that's he's only one among millions, but indeed, partially.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #183
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Actually, yes, partially, having been involved with and in leadership positions among those who do so freak. Perhaps a very, very small part given that's he's only one among millions, but indeed, partially.
    Do you have evidence of him freaking?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #184
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Do you have evidence of him freaking?
    Not the point, obviously. But he's been in a position to influence the atmosphere in his own crowd. Do you have evidence of him trying to get people NOT to freak? 'Coz they do. And he's been a leader for a long time.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #185
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Do you have evidence of him freaking?
    But, as you asked for it, here you go -- Obama on Trent Lott (who, as you'll recall, never actually said anything remotely like what Obama accuses him of here):

    "It seems to be that we can forgive a 100-year-old senator for some of the indiscretion of his youth, but, what is more difficult to forgive is the current president of the U.S. Senate (Lott) suggesting we had been better off if we had followed a segregationist path in this country after all of the battles and fights for civil rights and all the work that we still have to do . . . the Republican Party itself has to drive out Trent Lott. If they have to stand for something, they have to stand up and say this is not the person we want representing our party."
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #186
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,984

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Bad choice in words for Obama. I know he isn't intentionally calling black people an animal/dog or using it to be a derogatory slur. But if a Republican or white person had said this, I guarantee all hell would break lose.
    That may be true...

    So what?

    Becuase some people would stupidly start flying off the handle based on no more context beyond "African americans are a mongrel people" and "white person" that makes it right to mischaracterize what's being said or attempt to "trap" people into talking about something broadly to then claim they're being hypocritical?

    My reaction would be the same. If that was John McCain, Clarence Thomas, or Charlie Rangel that said that in total like Obama said, I'd be reacting much the same way.

    If someone instead said "They're a mongrel people, savage at their core, and prone to bite at the hand that feeds" then my reaction of it would be more towards the notion of refering to people as wild dogs then of mixed ethnic origin. This would be true regardless of whether or not it was Boehner or if it was Reverend Jackson.

    Now, if it was a random whtie republican that I never heard of before so knew nothing about them beyond them being a white republican and ALL I was given was "African americans are a mongrel people" then my reaction would've been that it was an unwise and bad thing to say but wanting to know "when did he say that?" because I'd want to see what comments were made around it before commenting definitively.

  7. #187
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,984

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    But, as you asked for it, here you go -- Obama on Trent Lott (who, as you'll recall, never actually said anything remotely like what Obama accuses him of here):

    "It seems to be that we can forgive a 100-year-old senator for some of the indiscretion of his youth, but, what is more difficult to forgive is the current president of the U.S. Senate (Lott) suggesting we had been better off if we had followed a segregationist path in this country after all of the battles and fights for civil rights and all the work that we still have to do . . . the Republican Party itself has to drive out Trent Lott. If they have to stand for something, they have to stand up and say this is not the person we want representing our party."
    That was not freaking out over someone using the word niggardly. That was "freaking out" over someone stating this:

    "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either," Lott said at last week's party."

    about a man whose Presidential campaign at the time was founded on such notions as "All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches". A presidential campaign whose platform was literally as follows:

    "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race."

    I would say "freaking out" over someone who suggested the country would've been better off if everyone had gotten behind a party whose and President whose platform was that segregation needed to happen to keep racial integrity and that Negro's shouldn't be in the white mans churches, homes, and schools is far, far different than "freaking out" over someone saying "niggardly" and would be a much more questionable comment to make other than suggesting that black individuals are of mixed heritage by using a word that colloquilally has a double use as an insult.

  8. #188
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That was not freaking out over someone using the word niggardly. That was "freaking out" over someone stating this:

    "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either," Lott said at last week's party."

    about a man whose Presidential campaign at the time was founded on such notions as "All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches". A presidential campaign whose platform was literally as follows:

    "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race."

    I would say "freaking out" over someone who suggested the country would've been better off if everyone had gotten behind a party whose and President whose platform was that segregation needed to happen to keep racial integrity and that Negro's shouldn't be in the white mans churches, homes, and schools is far, far different than "freaking out" over someone saying "niggardly" and would be a much more questionable comment to make other than suggesting that black individuals are of mixed heritage by using a word that colloquilally has a double use as an insult.
    But you're doing the same thing. Lott says that's not what he meant. There's nothing comparable in Lott's repertoire to support that the segrationist platform is what he meant. They glommed onto a sentence, assumed he meant something, and that became the narrative. The context says he should get the benefit of the doubt, exactly as the context says Harry Reid should get the benefit of the doubt for his "light-skinned negro" comments, or Clinton and his "bringing us coffee" comment.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #189
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Simple.

    If your purpose is what it CLEARLY was, which was being spurred by Obama's comment and referencing his comment, you could've gone.

    If your purpose was HONESTLY not trying to set a trap and were meaning this in an entirely generalized way you could've gone
    Great.
    And how would -any- of that have changed your response to my question?

  10. #190
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Great.
    And how would -any- of that have changed your response to my question?
    I would have actually answered.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •