View Poll Results: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    21 48.84%
  • No, because...

    22 51.16%
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 418

Thread: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

  1. #111
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    He says we're all kinds of mixed up - we know more about it and you call that arrogance? How so?
    It's conservative SOP to refer to Obama and liberals as arrogant.

    "Damn, that Obama made fun of himself. How arrogant can you get." Remember, that bunch of conservatives are the same ones whining about teleprompters, bowing, dinner dates and how much his wife's shoes cost. Logic does not enter into their arguments, it's just make sure you get the talking point in. Obama...arrogant. The other details are irrelevant.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #112
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    This thread didn't work out as expected.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #113
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I heard this today and was curious as to what everyone thinks.
    I dont think I understand the value of the thread but since I saw everyone jumping in I figured I'd play...

    So...is this a question about racial purity or a knock on the president for talking about racial purity or a knock on his "we know more about it" kind of remark?

    With the exception of a black fella from France about 4 generations back and anaboriginal gal from the South Carolina region, my family has been a pretty strict mixture Dane and Scot. But we do have theose two variations so we arent pure. I tan darker than most...thats got to be the Denmark bloodline...dang sure not the Scot. I dont know if that makes me more or less of a 'mongrel' than Obama...but I can guarantee...I care less about the question than he does. Maybe thats just because its easier for me to assimilate. Maybe its because the issue of race was never brought up since the 'white' part of my family was beyond screwed up. I do know that at the end of the day...I just dont care.

  4. #114
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    This thread didn't work out as expected.
    i think it did
    the point which the OP was trying to establish was whether the use of the term "mongrel" would be viewed differently, depending on who said it
    and from reading the thread, there are a number - including myself - who agree that is would

    you are correct, the full context was not presented, nor was the identify of the public official who used that expression. but that went to the effort to examine the useage of the word "mongrel" itself. adding the other information/context would have diluted the impact of the word's use to the one being polled

    and yes, having taken that position, i do feel like i need to shower
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #115
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont think I understand the value of the thread but since I saw everyone jumping in I figured I'd play...

    So...is this a question about racial purity or a knock on the president for talking about racial purity or a knock on his "we know more about it" kind of remark?

    With the exception of a black fella from France about 4 generations back and anaboriginal gal from the South Carolina region, my family has been a pretty strict mixture Dane and Scot. But we do have theose two variations so we arent pure. I tan darker than most...thats got to be the Denmark bloodline...dang sure not the Scot. I dont know if that makes me more or less of a 'mongrel' than Obama...but I can guarantee...I care less about the question than he does. Maybe thats just because its easier for me to assimilate. Maybe its because the issue of race was never brought up since the 'white' part of my family was beyond screwed up. I do know that at the end of the day...I just dont care.
    I think it was an attempt to show all of us that we react to "what was said" in context with "who said it." Excellent exercise. Had I not posted a spoiler, it would have been better -- 'til somebody else did.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #116
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think it was an attempt to show all of us that we react to "what was said" in context with "who said it." Excellent exercise. Had I not posted a spoiler, it would have been better -- 'til somebody else did.
    Dang...you mean we are all a bunch of lab rats???

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    African-Americans aren't a mixed-breed?
    No more than Caucasions are. Face it, the age of the pure breed Anglo-Saxon White Race ended along time ago. Unless you live in the deepest, darkest jungle of the world where very small tribal people live you just will not find a pure race of People anymore. We're ALL mixed breeds of some varying sort. Get over it!!!

  8. #118
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    I can understand his "mongrel" statement, and that it applies to all people. Funny use of language for a president IMO, but whatever.

    I don't understand his basis for making this statement:
    "I mean we're all kinds of mixed up," Obama said. "That's actually true of white people as well, but we just know more about it."
    Why, exactly does he assume that black people would know more about being "mixed up" than whites? I don't see any basis for that statement. What's the point in saying it?

  9. #119
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    I can understand his "mongrel" statement, and that it applies to all people. Funny use of language for a president IMO, but whatever.

    I don't understand his basis for making this statement:

    Why, exactly does he assume that black people would know more about being "mixed up" than whites? I don't see any basis for that statement. What's the point in saying it?
    Old joke, not sure if it is still made, but light skin blacks used to comment that their grandma didn't run fast enough. There where lots of bastard children of white slave owners and black slaves. It's something blacks tended to be very aware of. Most whites are not real clear on their mixed race background I think.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #120
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Are African-Americans a mongrel people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Why didn't you disclose that Obama said it?
    You're still avoding the questions.
    If you can't answer the questions, then your argument falls flat.
    How should have I asked it to bring it into context?
    And how would that have changed your response?

    C'mon. Show me.

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •