View Poll Results: How did FDR's policies affect America?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • FDR prolonged the Great Depression

    16 57.14%
  • FDR helped ease the pain of the Great Depression

    5 17.86%
  • FDR's policies had little or no effect on the Great Depression

    2 7.14%
  • Some of his policies hurt the economy, others helped it.

    2 7.14%
  • Other

    3 10.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How did FDR's politices affect America?

  1. #1
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    How did FDR's politices affect America?

    1). FDR prolonged the Great Depression
    2). FDR helped ease the pain of the Great Depression
    3). FDR's policies had little or no effect on the Great Depression
    4). Some of his policies hurt the economy, others helped it.
    5). Other

  2. #2
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    The New Deals (both of them) were a disaster in all sorts of ways.

    Some of the programs were ruled unconstitutional - so that was a waste of taxpayer money and government time. Others were repealed in the following decade
    Other programs did help - but the help that was suppose to be temporary and turned out to be permanent and now works against the original goal.

    A horrible thing was the 'Undistributed Profits Tax' - which really encouraged business to distribute (via bonuses or benefits) their profit rather than saving it up. . . However - if businesses *saved* excessive profits then they would be *able* to handle a severe economic hit (like we've been going through) - and use that savings to cushion for a while . . . just as families dip into savings when things get tight.

    Thankfully that didn't stick around.

    It was also quite sexist - but that doesn't actually matter, now, they saw the errors in sex-favoritism and were forced to alter things in the first few years.

    Unrelated to the New Deal was FDR's repeal of Prohibition - purely monetarily motivated and it proved to be a huge perk for the gov.

    some things were good - short term, it was good. It got people out of Hoovervilles, everyone started working against . .. and things did balance out. But in the long term other things that he started (either directly or merely seeded) became volatile and just a canker.

    Of course that was just his first term . . .

    In his second term he faired far many more 'negative' marks than 'positive' - There was a recession in 1937 as a result of what happened in the previous years. . . which Rosey tried to turn into a political-partisan bunch of crap, blaming Republicans . . and Republicans blamed Democrats (all this sound so familiar, doesn't it!)

    It was at this point that, instead of trying to curtail spending, they went hog wild and spent even *more* money . . . of course *more* government spending = *more* money needed from the people.

    Then the war came (wipes the sweat from FDR's worried brow) . . . which doubled the GDP - and decreased unemployment . . .and had a lasting effect because it also killed off a lot of the workforce quite permanently - so there were just less people to provide for.

    In essence - every time the government does some big, huge, extravagant *anything* to correct a social or economic problem there will be a *good* and a *bad* and a lot of in the middles - that's just the nature of the beast.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 07-27-10 at 03:06 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    Well it's hard to say that it did anything with the Great Depression since that was interrupted by WW II, which is what really got us out of it. But his policies were unconstitutional and only passed because he threatened the Supreme Court, which is also very disturbing. He also put us under a declared state of emergency which has never been canceled since. We've been under an official State of Emergency since March 9. 1933. Of which Congressman James M. Beck said:
    ""I think of all the damnable heresies that have ever been suggested in connection with the Constitution, the doctrine of emergency is the worst. it means that when Congress declares an emergency, there is no Constitution. This means its death. It is the very doctrine that the German chancellor is invoking today in the dying hours of the parliamentary body of the German republic, namely, that because of an emergency, it should grant to the German chancellor absolute power to pass any law, even though the law contradicts the Constitution of the German republic. Chancellor Hitler is at least frank about it. We pay the Constitution lipservice, but the result is the same....But the Constitution of the United States, as a restraining influence in keeping the federal government within the carefully prescribed channels of power, is moribund, if not dead. We are witnessing its death-agonies, for when this bill becomes a law, if unhappily it becomes a law, there is no longer any workable Constitution to keep the Congress within the limits of its Constitutional powers."

    FDR did the most of any President to destroy the Constitution and open up the flood gates for government expansion and usurpation of power.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Educator Helvidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Good ol' US of A
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    735

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau May 1939:
    "We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and now if I am wrong somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosper. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. I say after eight years of this administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started.And enormous debt to boot."

    Could you imagine Geithner coming out and saying that about the Stimulus Bill?
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well it's hard to say that it did anything with the Great Depression since that was interrupted by WW II, which is what really got us out of it. But his policies were unconstitutional and only passed because he threatened the Supreme Court, which is also very disturbing. He also put us under a declared state of emergency which has never been canceled since. We've been under an official State of Emergency since March 9. 1933. Of which Congressman James M. Beck said:
    ""I think of all the damnable heresies that have ever been suggested in connection with the Constitution, the doctrine of emergency is the worst. it means that when Congress declares an emergency, there is no Constitution. This means its death. It is the very doctrine that the German chancellor is invoking today in the dying hours of the parliamentary body of the German republic, namely, that because of an emergency, it should grant to the German chancellor absolute power to pass any law, even though the law contradicts the Constitution of the German republic. Chancellor Hitler is at least frank about it. We pay the Constitution lipservice, but the result is the same....But the Constitution of the United States, as a restraining influence in keeping the federal government within the carefully prescribed channels of power, is moribund, if not dead. We are witnessing its death-agonies, for when this bill becomes a law, if unhappily it becomes a law, there is no longer any workable Constitution to keep the Congress within the limits of its Constitutional powers."

    FDR did the most of any President to destroy the Constitution and open up the flood gates for government expansion and usurpation of power.
    And the source for all this is ?
    school?
    parents?
    direct experience?
    outcome based opinions?
    ??

  6. #6
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    And the source for all this is ?
    school?
    parents?
    direct experience?
    outcome based opinions?
    ??
    Congressional Records.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #7
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    Oh man, yep - I forgot about his 'Switch in time that saved 9' and how much he wanted to warp everyone to his bidding.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #8
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    If FDR had never been elected, most of the crap that the government does today and most of our deficit would not exist.



  9. #9
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    1). FDR prolonged the Great Depression
    2). FDR helped ease the pain of the Great Depression
    3). FDR's policies had little or no effect on the Great Depression
    4). Some of his policies hurt the economy, others helped it.
    5). Other
    you don't have an option for "FDR made the Great Depression"

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: How did FDR's politices affect America?

    I think FDR's policies prolonged the depression and hurt the country. However, certain things like the FDA were very helpful.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •