View Poll Results: Should teacher salaries in your state increase, decrease of stay the same?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should be higher.

    17 40.48%
  • They should be lower.

    9 21.43%
  • They should stay the same.

    16 38.10%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 144

Thread: Teacher Salaries By State

  1. #71
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I don't think so. Look at the top 200 listed salaries. The LOWEST is $199,000+. 10 people make over $300,000. The Illinois Department of Education lists their top salary at $127,000. The website Maggie posted is messing with the numbers, somehow.
    I dunno it may include retirement and health benefits.
    That is part of your total compensation.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #72
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,357

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Most of the high salaries are administrators and directors. I believe the site you posted was only about teachers.


  3. #73
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    More information. If you click the names of the people that are listed in the top 200, pretty much none of them are teachers. They are mostly District Superintendents or some sort of Administrators. This is one example of the site presenting misinformation in an attempt to claim that teachers are being paid more than they are,
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Most of the high salaries are administrators and directors. I believe the site you posted was only about teachers.
    Correct. And that's what we are talking about. Teacher's salaries. How those who TEACH are paid.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I dunno it may include retirement and health benefits.
    That is part of your total compensation.
    Do you include that in your number when you tell people what your yearly salary is? It's manipulation, Harry.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #76
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy it for a second. Jack Roeser, the website and organization director, has an agenda and has been in trouble before. The highest salary that the website lists is for a high school teacher who makes $600,000+ per year. I checked the Illinois Department of Education website. The highest salary listed is $127,000 by someone with a doctorate and 29 years of experience. I call bull**** on the website you posted.

    Here is the Illinois Dept. of Education website for folks who want to look:
    http://www.isbe.state.il.us/research...lary_09-10.pdf
    You are dead wrong to call bull****. That is information obtained for the entire state of illinois through FOIA. I know one of the teachers (I did not post her information on purpose.) That's what she makes -- my first post. This website lists every single teacher in the state of Illinois. I can only tell you that it's the truth. The way the Board of Education itself presents these numbers does not surprise me. This website posts names, school locations, number of years service - do you honestly believe this site, that's been around for years, could call out individuals and list incorrect salary information?

    You just don't want to believe it.

    Jack Roeser, the website and organization director, has an agenda and has been in trouble before.
    You, of all people, should know that that is a poor argument. There's a name for it, I can't think of right now. Edit: Straw Man.

    And this . . .

    What can I do if there is an error in my record? The information on this website is provided by the Illinois Board of Education (ISBE). Their source for this information is the Teacher Service Record, compiled and submitted annually by local school districts.
    If you find an error in your record, you should contact your local school district and request that your information be corrected. If your local school district is not helpful, contact Mr. Mark Hobneck, mhobneck@isbe.net, at the Illinois State Board of Education.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 07-26-10 at 02:29 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #77
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Do you include that in your number when you tell people what your yearly salary is? It's manipulation, Harry.
    Honestly, I usually don't think about it when I do talk about.
    That's mainly because I don't ever use my health insurance though.
    I should, damn it.
    I've had it for 3 years and only used it to get some vaccinations once.
    Have never used my dental either and I get 2 free cleanings a year.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #78
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    More information. If you click the names of the people that are listed in the top 200, pretty much none of them are teachers. They are mostly District Superintendents or some sort of Administrators. This is one example of the site presenting misinformation in an attempt to claim that teachers are being paid more than they are,
    Captain, the information I posted was not from the top 200. Most of those are admins, as you point out. The couple I posted here are teachers only -- as their information clearly shows.

    You've got a bee in your bonnet. I'm very well informed on this subject. This is a credible website. I don't know how the Board of Education distorts their reports, but why would you be surprised that they do? This is a hot topic in Illinois. These are real people, first/last names/name of school/length of service. There is absolutely NO WAY this site would be up and running if this data was false.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 07-26-10 at 02:26 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #79
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,357

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Someone should contact the state board of education and tell them about this typo. That's crazy.

    I think it's fine for the site to have administrators' salaries. We should know that too.


  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Teacher Salaries By State

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You are dead wrong to call bull****. That is information obtained for the entire state of illinois through FOIA. I know one of the teachers (I did not post her information on purpose.) That's what she makes -- my first post. This website lists every single teacher in the state of Illinois. I can only tell you that it's the truth. The way the Board of Education itself presents these numbers does not surprise me. This website posts names, school locations, number of years service - do you honestly believe this site, that's been around for years, could call out individuals and list incorrect salary information?

    You just don't want to believe it.
    Yeah, I believe that the website could post misinformation. I already showed that it did. On it's front page it states, "FTF's salary database contains public K-12 educator salaries for the entire state of Illinois." When you click that link and check the top 200 salaries, you do NOT get K-12 educators. You get mostly District Superintendents. That's manipulative misinformation. I have no reason to doubt an official Department of Education website, but I do have reason to doubt one with an agenda, and one that I've already shown has presented misinformation. You WANT to believe the website you posted, even though I've already shown it's wrong. Comparing a Superintendent's salary to a teacher's is completely dishonest. Now, if you want to believe that dishonesty, that's on you.





    You, of all people, should know that that is a poor argument. There's a name for it, I can't think of right now.
    Probably something like guilt by association, but it's not always a fallacy. It goes towards credibility.

    And this . . .
    It's the teacher's job to correct their inaccuracies? The site I linked IS the ISBE. Their information is completely different than what the website you presented showed.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •