View Poll Results: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 43.64%
  • No

    31 56.36%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 132

Thread: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    He's the face of the network. He should be giving opinions about confirmed facts. Otherwise, it's irresponsible or propaganda.
    He's not a face of anyone but himself. If anyone wants to think of him otherwise, that's their problem. But it's not as if the Fox network personally gives him a set of opinions to have. He has his own opinions, and he uses his show to spout them. Not news. Opinion.

    And he's already apologized for not having all the facts first, so there you go. (Which makes him more responsible than the NAACP, which refuses to apologize for doing the exact same thing.)

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Frankly, this whole "don't have an opinion unless you have all the facts" thing is bonkers to begin with. Nobody ever knows if they have all the facts. If you're going to follow that obligation, lefties are going to have to stop bashing birthers (and righties truthers), because for all they know there are facts that they don't have.

    Opinions are impossible for situations where all the facts are clear, because at that point there is only objective truth. Opinions can only exist when all the facts aren't clear, and the less clear the facts, the more diverse the opinions.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    He's the face of the network. He should be giving opinions about confirmed facts. Otherwise, it's irresponsible or propaganda.
    The tape was there. It showed a woman with racist views. Those are the facts. The words were coming out of her mouth. I was fooled as was the WH and NAACP(supposedly) Why should O'Reilly be held to a higher standard. You think he's that much smarter than everyone else? I know he thinks so.
    I really wonder, if this would have played out, that she really was a racist woman in the USDA and giving speechs to the NAACP if ANY of it would have run on MCNBC or any liberal channel?

  4. #44
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    He's not a face of anyone but himself. If anyone wants to think of him otherwise, that's their problem. But it's not as if the Fox network personally gives him a set of opinions to have. He has his own opinions, and he uses his show to spout them. Not news. Opinion.

    And he's already apologized for not having all the facts first, so there you go. (Which makes him more responsible than the NAACP, which refuses to apologize for doing the exact same thing.)
    Good on him for apologizing. He admitted his mistake.

    Don't you think that someone at Fox approves his scripts? He can't just say anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #45
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    The tape was there. It showed a woman with racist views. Those are the facts. The words were coming out of her mouth. I was fooled as was the WH and NAACP(supposedly) Why should O'Reilly be held to a higher standard. You think he's that much smarter than everyone else? I know he thinks so.
    I really wonder, if this would have played out, that she really was a racist woman in the USDA and giving speechs to the NAACP if ANY of it would have run on MCNBC or any liberal channel?
    Context is important. It's not a fact until you understand the context.

    I'm not holding them to a higher standard, you are holding Fox to a different standard. I have stated repeatedly that they all are irresponsible and rushed to judgement without the facts. You want to keep deflecting away from Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    No, she should sue the White House. They were the ones who wrongfully fired. Maybe Sherrod should be sued for bring FoxNews into things and lying about Glenn Beck? (saying she would be on his show when Beck didn't mention it).
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #47
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Frankly, this whole "don't have an opinion unless you have all the facts" thing is bonkers to begin with. Nobody ever knows if they have all the facts. If you're going to follow that obligation, lefties are going to have to stop bashing birthers (and righties truthers), because for all they know there are facts that they don't have.
    So you are arguing that fact-checking is futile so why bother?

    Yes, things can still be in error like the Swift boaters, but you have to admit that it is more likely a fact if there is a corroborating source with the original. You would have to ignore the fact that video editing happens all the time nowadays.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Opinions are impossible for situations where all the facts are clear, because at that point there is only objective truth. Opinions can only exist when all the facts aren't clear, and the less clear the facts, the more diverse the opinions.
    You can have an opinion about the facts without disputing the facts. People do this all the time. Look at the Stock Market.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #48
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Context is important. It's not a fact until you understand the context.

    I'm not holding them to a higher standard, you are holding Fox to a different standard. I have stated repeatedly that they all are irresponsible and rushed to judgement without the facts. You want to keep deflecting away from Fox.
    Because in my opinion Fox is innocent of any wrong doing whatsoever.

  9. #49
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Because in my opinion Fox is innocent of any wrong doing whatsoever.
    I'm sure they are.

    Bill O'Reilly disagrees with you. He apologized.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #50
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Should Shirley Sherrod sue Fox News and Andrew Breitbart for their lies?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    So you are arguing that fact-checking is futile so why bother?
    No, I'm arguing that sometimes fact-checking isn't possible, or does not yet appear possible, at least for the party involved. Or it just has yet to happen. And that there is nothing wrong with having an opinion in these cases. Most people here in the forum had an opinion of the tape when it came out, both on the left and right. Oddly, nobody is looking to sue them.

    Yes, things can still be in error like the Swift boaters, but you have to admit that it is more likely a fact if there is a corroborating source with the original. You would have to ignore the fact that video editing happens all the time nowadays.
    A fact that Fox News (news, not opinion) did not ignore, for those who have been paying attention.

    You can have an opinion about the facts without disputing the facts. People do this all the time. Look at the Stock Market.
    If (hypothetically; I realize this is logically impossible) the facts about which stocks would do what and when were completely clear, it would be difficult to have an opinion in that case.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •