View Poll Results: Is it time the Pope changed the rules and allowed Catholic Priests to marry?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • God yes!

    13 52.00%
  • Hell no!

    3 12.00%
  • Rutabaga

    5 20.00%
  • Other (Explain)

    4 16.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

  1. #11
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Allowing priests to marry is usually an argument about how to get more priests, not to prevent these scandals. Pedophiles are pedophiles, married or not. Besides, it would be a fundamental change to the church. There are 7 sacraments. You can't just blend holy orders and marriage.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #12
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    I think allowing Catholic priests to marry would be a good idea, but since I'm not a Catholic I really have no stake in the matter, and therefore don't really care all that much.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #13
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    If we take a look at the Episcopal church, which is probably more closely structured like the Catholic church than any other denomination, they don't have a problem with pedophilia, and they let priests marry. I suspect that this is a good indicator of what would happen if priests could marry.
    The Episcopal Church has had its own struggle to catch up with increased public awareness of the issue. It's likely that married priests in the Anglican Communion abuse at about the same rate Catholic priests do.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    As a Catholic myself, I see two problems with allowing priests to marry.

    a) They're supposed to be devoting their entire lives to God. They simply don't have the time for the distraction of familial responsibilities. It would likely put a massive strain on the marriage. Not the best environment to raise a kid in.
    You have to remember that the entire reason the RCC stopped allowing it had nothing to do with devoting their lives to God, it was because lots of priests set up little priestly dynasties where their families were taking money away from the church. Instead of leaving everything they had to the church when they died, priests were actually, get this, giving it to their families! The Pope had to put a stop to it, they were losing money!

    b) If the Church allows priests to marry, there will be many more priests a generation later. However, many of these priests will be unqualified for the job. If a priest marries and has a son, he might end high school thinking "y'know, the priesthood sounds like a pretty good profession. I know a lot about it from my dad's service, and he's got plenty of connections within it."

    The Catholic Church doesn't want people to become priests simply because it's easy to go into the family business.
    You don't think there aren't plenty of priests who are already unqualified for the job? Like all of the pedophiles?

    In reality, the priesthood is asking men to live in entirely unnatural ways, their natural sex drives eventually force them to act and they take their sexual impulses out on the most available resource available to them: children. Let these poor men have sex and the amount of sexual abuse in the church will go down dramatically.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #15
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Poor men? Boohoo, that's the life they chose.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #16
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Poor men? Boohoo, that's the life they chose.
    Sure it is, but we have to be realistic. You can choose not to eat but eventually, you're going to have to or die. Personally, I think all theists are out of their minds in general, but they have a right to believe whatever mind-numbingly ridiculous crap they want, but actions and beliefs have consequences and bad beliefs that have bad consequences need to be addressed. Catholic priests, for whatever screwed-up reasons they choose to become priests, still have all this nonsense imposed on them from above and it needs to stop.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #17
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Being an ex catholic

    I have always viewed priests as being unmarried and living a life of poverty.

    Dedicating their lives to serve god, and of charity.

    The fact that the church maintains a massive amount of wealth is one reason I have rejected it and all religion
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  8. #18
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The hits to the Catholic Church just keep on coming - and they always seem to be around Sex probably because Catholic Priests, who are always male, cannot marry or have relations.

    Gay priest sex scandal as undercover Berlusconi reporter 'films clerics at gay clubs' | Mail Online

    Granted, the DailyMail isn't much of a newspaper - but it's enough to ask the question:

    Is it time the Pope changed the rules and allowed Catholic Priests to marry?

    Wouldn't children and the rest of society be a little safer and the priests a little more content were that to happen?
    I picked other.What the catholic church does is their business, not that of non-catholics and phony catholics. If someone wants to be a priest and be able to marry then do not be a catholic priest. Besides that I seriously doubt Chester the child molester is going to satisfy his sexual attraction to little boys just by being married to an adult woman. A gay pedophile doesn't molest little boys just because he can't get pussy, if he was desperate for pussy you would be seeing Catholic priest arrested in John sting or catholic priest caught in affairs with nuns stories.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 07-24-10 at 05:40 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #19
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Pedophilia, like rape, seems to be based on the principle of control and power. A person who is in a position of power is more likely to be a pedophile than somebody who is not in a position of power. The Catholic Church is not the only organization where figures of power are caught molesting, harassing and even seducing, those bellow them. The same recurring issue can be found in FLDS churches, the Boys Scouts of America, Islamic groups etc. People need to realize that the evidence seems to support the assertion that pedophiles are encouraged by their environments. So the solution seems to be to discourage them from following their urges by allowing them to live less restrictive lives. This means allowing them to have wives, children etc. Those who do not try to get help should be treated as people with an unhealthy addiction, a mental illness etc.

    Now I know Catholics will say that priests are in the service of God. We'll that's all great and dandy but in the Bible you can find at least one person on every page who was in the service of God and had a wife. Noah, Abraham, Jeremiah, David etc. All these people managed to be in the service of God and still commit the unspeakable (sex). At the end of the day it's up to the Pope. But we all know what will happen with the theologian formerly known as Ratzinger. He will simply make a strawman and blame somebody else for the illogical way in which the church is being led. AIDS not condoms, homosexuality as bad as pedophilia, reality worse than dogma.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 07-24-10 at 07:45 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #20
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is it time Cathoic Priests were allowed to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Pedophilia, like rape, seems to be based on the principle of control and power
    That sounds like hogwash. Pedophilia is the sexual attraction to prepubescent children. Not some power trip. Just like normal men find a woman with breasts sexually attractive or a gay man finds other men sexually attractive, the pedophile finds prepubescent children sexually attractive.

    A person who is in a position of power is more likely to be a pedophile than somebody who is not in a position of power.
    A pedophile is going to try to get a job that places him in close proximity to children and a pedophile in a position of power is more likely to get away with it than a pedophile not in a position of power.

    The Catholic Church is not the only organization where figures of power are caught molesting, harassing and even seducing, those bellow them. The same recurring issue can be found in FLDS churches, the Boys Scouts of America, Islamic groups etc. People need to realize that the evidence seems to support the assertion that pedophiles are encouraged by their environments.
    You realize that the reason kids get molested in these groups because a pedophile is sexually attracted to children.Also a lot of these groups have a close proximity to children,so it makes sense that pedophiles would seek jobs in the Catholic church and anywhere else near lots of children. Other than strapping someone to a chair and showing him pictures of women, and children in swimsuits to see if there is a reaction, the only thing these organizations can really do is backgrounds checks and report any suspected cases of child molestation to the authorities.

    So the solution seems to be to discourage them from following their urges by allowing them to live less restrictive lives. This means allowing them to have wives, children etc. Those who do not try to get help should be treated as people with an unhealthy addiction, a mental illness etc.

    Now I know Catholics will say that priests are in the service of God. We'll that's all great and dandy but in the Bible you can find at least one person on every page who was in the service of God and had a wife. Noah, Abraham, Jeremiah, David etc. All these people managed to be in the service of God and still commit the unspeakable (sex). At the end of the day it's up to the Pope. But we all know what will happen with the theologian formerly known as Ratzinger. He will simply make a strawman and blame somebody else for the illogical way in which the church is being led. AIDS not condoms, homosexuality as bad as pedophilia, reality worse than dogma.
    This is nothing more than lets bash the catholic church. Most catholic priests are not pedophiles.and 50% of men arrested for pedophilia are married. so it dispels the notion that a lack of a normal life is going to somehow cause a unmarried priest to be sexually attracted to little boys.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •