View Poll Results: Left or Right, folks?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left

    8 25.81%
  • Right

    23 74.19%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 103

Thread: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Somehow, I would bet the blissfully ignorant are not Libertarian.
    Well now we have some in our ranks, they usually don't last long as libertarians because they don't do their due diligence in researching the ideology.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 07-23-10 at 06:18 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #62
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    No, sometimes fear is knowing full well how bad something is.
    I see what you're saying, but to me, this is not fear. It's understanding. I don't fear big rabid dogs, because I know to avoid them. I don't fear falling off cliffs, because I know to stay away from the edge. I also don't fear the government. I figure they would probably like us all to be ignorant sheep, and I know they have "power" but I do not fear them.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #63
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I see what you're saying, but to me, this is not fear. It's understanding. I don't fear big rabid dogs, because I know to avoid them.
    Why would you avoid them if you didn't fear them?

    I don't fear falling off cliffs, because I know to stay away from the edge.
    Why stay away from the edge if you don't fear falling?

    I also don't fear the government. I figure they would probably like us all to be ignorant sheep, and I know they have "power" but I do not fear them.
    I don't fear "the government" but I fear certain groups of people within our govt who have certain ideologies that are trying to enact legislation that is damaging.

  4. #64
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Why would you avoid them if you didn't fear them?


    Why stay away from the edge if you don't fear falling?
    Because my understanding overrides my fear.

    I don't fear "the government" but I fear certain groups of people within our govt who have certain ideologies that are trying to enact legislation that is damaging.
    There are definitely certain groups that can pass damaging legislation, but there is no reason to fear something that is a possibility.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #65
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Because my understanding overrides my fear.
    LMFAO We'll just have to agree to disagree. I see fear as a good thing in many cases. Fear is what makes life exciting. As an adrenaline junkie, I could never get my fix if I didn't have fear.

    There are definitely certain groups that can pass damaging legislation, but there is no reason to fear something that is a possibility.
    And I disagree. I think there is every reason to fear certain possibilities and work to prevent those from coming to fruition.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    exhibit A, thanks Reverend.
    And when the state violates the soveignty of the individual at every turn no matter what political party is in office then why wouldn't you fear the state? I could be minding my own business in my own home having never harmed anyone in my entire life but because the state has decided to infringe upon my right to invibe a certain substance a cop could come strolling past my window, see the substance lying on my counter "in plain site", then proceed to break down my door and if I resist either kill me on the spot, or beat me into submission, shackle me, throw me in his car, abduct me, and then cage me like an animal and hold me hostage until someone pays for my ransom. That's not paranoia that's your government in action and it happens every ****ing day. If you don't fear the state then you're not paying attention.
    Last edited by Agent Ferris; 07-23-10 at 09:35 PM.

  7. #67
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    LMFAO We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    No problemo.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #68
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    And when the state violates the soveignty of the individual at every turn no matter what political party is in office then why wouldn't you fear the state? I could be minding my own business in my own home having never harmed anyone in my entire life but because the state has decided to infringe upon my right to invibe a certain substance a cop could come strolling past my window, see the substance lying on my counter "in plain site", then proceed to break down my door and if I resist either kill me on the spot, or beat me into submission, shackle me, throw me in his car, abduct me, and then cage me like an animal and hold me hostage until someone pays for my ransom. That's not paranoia that's your government in action and it happens every ****ing day. If you don't fear the state then you're not paying attention.
    Oh.. cough* exibit C, The Terrified libertarian.

    Which variety of libertarian are you?


  9. #69
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Well now we have some in our ranks, they usually don't last long as libertarians because they don't do their due diligence in researching the ideology.
    Exibit D The Arrogant libertarian.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,084

    Re: Libertarians: which do you identify with more, the Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Exibit D The Arrogant libertarian.
    They are caricatures. Yes. Sad. I know.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I figure they would probably like us all to be ignorant sheep, and I know they have "power" but I do not fear them.
    The Petulant Libertarian.

    Sadly Libertarians are like forum posters. They all fit into a nice formula which is aware of all the possibilities. For every Squirt, there is a Missionary, for every Atlas there is an Android. For every Ethereal there is a donsutherland1. This is not necessarily a bad thing. But after a while you start realizing that these people are nothing more that caricatures. Libertarian seems to be the flavor of the moment and all the cool kids want to try it.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 07-24-10 at 02:48 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •