View Poll Results: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    7 35.00%
  • no

    13 65.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    It wouldn't have a noticeable difference. While almost everyone in the libertarian party would support massive drug reform, it is not the central piece of our political philosophy. Perhaps our stance on drugs attracts some amount of people initially to at least check out the LP, but most people who join are not joining solely for the drug position. There are larger positions which revolve around free market capitalism and minarchism which are not found in the main party. You can legalize drugs tomorrow, but that's going to do little to nothing to our membership as there are no other party platforms out there which match to our own personal ideologies as much as the LP.

    I know some people think it's cool to make fun of libertarians and such. Chuckle or make retarded threads trying to condemn or poke fun or make us look bad. It says more about the person making those comments, however, than it does the libertarian political philosophy. But don't worry, we're not going to do anything about it. World's full of idiots and douche bags, but there ain't no law against being either of those.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #12
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Simple question. Do you think drug legalization would move a noticeable number of libertarians to another ideology as one of their core issues is resolved to their satisfaction?
    Funny question and truthfully...probably. I cant tell you how people responded when i stated that the drug legalization idea should be dropped from party ideology...

    I can GUARANTEE tho that it will have NO impact on our number of elected representatives...

  3. #13
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    To be honest, everytime I hear someone is a Libertarian, I chuckle inside.
    To be honest...I hear average citizens proclaim with pride they are either a democrat or a republican and responsible for the **** this country is in...and I puke...just a little...

  4. #14
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Funny question and truthfully...probably. I cant tell you how people responded when i stated that the drug legalization idea should be dropped from party ideology...

    I can GUARANTEE tho that it will have NO impact on our number of elected representatives...
    I definitely think we shouldn't make it seem so central. Yet at the same time I think that it is one of the more visible and agreed on forms of government intrusion over the proper powers of State and decisions of People. Yet there are plenty of organizations and such which focus on drug legalization above that which is proposed by the libertarians, which would tend to focus more on that specific issue. As for our membership, I wouldn't expect it to dramatically decrease if drugs were legalized as even if something like that would occur, there is still a lot of work to do to reign the government back under control.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #15
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I definitely think we shouldn't make it seem so central. Yet at the same time I think that it is one of the more visible and agreed on forms of government intrusion over the proper powers of State and decisions of People. Yet there are plenty of organizations and such which focus on drug legalization above that which is proposed by the libertarians, which would tend to focus more on that specific issue. As for our membership, I wouldn't expect it to dramatically decrease if drugs were legalized as even if something like that would occur, there is still a lot of work to do to reign the government back under control.
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to be mostly the younger people who identify themselves as Libertarians who push the drug legalization issue. Either way it doesn't matter much to me. Legal prescription drugs are a huge problem (as far as the addiction end of the issue) and dwarf any illegal drug use that I am aware of. The problem that the Libertarian party has (imo) is an inability to relate their core belief systems concerning government, but it's not a problem with the messenger as much as a problem of freedom and personal liberty being virtually foreign concepts in America today.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #16
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    To be honest, everytime I hear someone is a Libertarian, I chuckle inside.



    yes because liberty and freedom is far more likley to bring smiles and laughter to ones face, than nanny state soft tyranny the left is trying to bring.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #17
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I know some people think it's cool to make fun of libertarians and such. Chuckle or make retarded threads trying to condemn or poke fun or make us look bad. It says more about the person making those comments, however, than it does the libertarian political philosophy. But don't worry, we're not going to do anything about it. World's full of idiots and douche bags, but there ain't no law against being either of those.
    To be honest, I was not attempting to make fun, but simply understand the mindset a little better. One of the ways to do that is poke and see where the divisions in the party are.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Would there be a decrease in liberals if Roe vs. Wade was overturned?

  9. #19
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Would there be a decrease in liberals if Roe vs. Wade was overturned?
    Actually, I think the equivalent question would be whether there would be a decrease in Republicans.

    And honestly, I think there probably are some single issue voters out there in regards to abortion who might not care so much about politics otherwise.

  10. #20
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would drug legalization reduce the number of libertarians?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    One of the ways to do that is poke and see where the divisions in the party are.
    You won't find many divisions imo. It's pretty much a philosophy that allows for differences.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •