View Poll Results: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    8 22.86%
  • Yes

    25 71.43%
  • Other

    2 5.71%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

  1. #31
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Yes. Most of all the feminist notions were perfectly acceptable to modern conservatism. There were extremes, of course.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #32
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post

    Furthermore, what's the point in more individual freedom if you hold beliefs that voluntarily restrict you from using them?
    Because a lot of people believe in freedom because it is wrong to impose on people, even if you choose not to exercise those freedoms. I'm prochoice, but I would discourage someone who uses abortion as birth control, though I do feel that's their choice. Same thing.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  3. #33
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I hate feminists and conservatives. So a conservative feminist would like a double whammy. Of course, I hate liberals too. So, liberal feminists are just as bad.
    I hate haters. And lovers, now that I'm thinking about it.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  4. #34
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yes
    A (ideology) Conservative woman can be a feminist.
    A (socially) Conservative woman can be a feminist.

    Feminism is NOT defined by "YOU MUST!" - just the opposite.
    It is not defined by: MUST support abortion. MUST always work instead of staying at home. MUST believe in a traditional marriage. MUST be in favor of abstinence.

    Feminism is about *being* a woman and *valuing* your femininity and not letting your femininity be *used* against you. Not letting your femininity control your life or ruin it. If you believe in these things your belief should be *because* you believe in them - not *because* men think you should believe in them or *because* you think that it's what society expects of you. It centers around it being *your choice* for *your self* and what *you think* is best for *you* and *your family*

    Feminism is about self-appreciation, equality and self respect - *using* these values to further your beliefs is a strong part of being a feminist.

    You're confusing "GOP ideology" with "conservative" ideology. . . HUGE difference and feminism can fit into all or none of them.
    You just described Palin. So I'm voting yes.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,724

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Feminism can be described as gender equality and choice. Anyone who adheres to these two concepts can be a feminist.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #36
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Typical conservative woman - believes in God, pro-life, traditional marriage, in favor of abstinence until marriage, traditional working roles in the family (husband works, mom stays home with the kids and/or homeschools), for smaller government, less taxes, more individual freedom....

    Can that woman be considered a "feminist"?
    The question boils down to how did the woman arrive at the above. If she chose it, then yes she can be a feminist. If she arrives there because it is what she feels is expected of her, then no.

    Feminism isn't about hating men, or hating traditional roles, it is about being able to choose what is right for you. It is about having the option for a traditional role, or for a role outside of the housewife role.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Since "traditional" female gender roles are patriarchal, I'm not sure how that would work, actually.

    I mean, I suppose one could choose to pretend to be disempowered and inferior.
    Submissives do it.
    I've always been a bit confused by that dynamic, though.
    Maybe it's too deep for me; I'm actually a pretty straightforward and pragmatic individual.
    Last edited by 1069; 07-22-10 at 08:58 AM.

  8. #38
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Furthermore, what's the point in more individual freedom if you hold beliefs that voluntarily restrict you from using them?
    well. legally i have the right to cheat on my wife; i am free to sleep with as many women as i like without fear of going to jail.

    but would you say that i should?

    obviously not. choosing to follow what one thinks is best for one's life is still freedom, even if that means choosing a differnt code than your own.

  9. #39
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Since "traditional" female gender roles are patriarchal, I'm not sure how that would work, actually.

    I mean, I suppose one could choose to pretend to be disempowered and inferior.
    Submissives do it.
    I've always been a bit confused by that dynamic, though.
    Maybe it's too deep for me; I'm actually a pretty straightforward and pragmatic individual.
    my wife prefers that i be 'the man of the house' and that she be the wife and mother. we have pretty traditional roles, and we are happy that way; it's a breakdown of responsibilities that fits both of our personalities well. we do try to generally follow a biblical marriage; but what people always seem to miss is the flip side of the equation there: women are supposed to serve their husbands yes, but husbands are also supposed to look after and serve their wives before themselves.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yes
    A (ideology) Conservative woman can be a feminist.
    A (socially) Conservative woman can be a feminist.

    Feminism is NOT defined by "YOU MUST!" - just the opposite.
    It is not defined by: MUST support abortion. MUST always work instead of staying at home. MUST believe in a traditional marriage. MUST be in favor of abstinence.

    Feminism is about *being* a woman and *valuing* your femininity and not letting your femininity be *used* against you. Not letting your femininity control your life or ruin it. If you believe in these things your belief should be *because* you believe in them - not *because* men think you should believe in them or *because* you think that it's what society expects of you. It centers around it being *your choice* for *your self* and what *you think* is best for *you* and *your family*

    Feminism is about self-appreciation, equality and self respect - *using* these values to further your beliefs is a strong part of being a feminist.

    You're confusing "GOP ideology" with "conservative" ideology. . . HUGE difference and feminism can fit into all or none of them.
    This is the best post on the topic I believe I've ever seen on this forum. Bravo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •