View Poll Results: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    8 22.86%
  • Yes

    25 71.43%
  • Other

    2 5.71%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

  1. #11
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well does she believe in equal pay for equal work?
    Equal pay for equal experience for equal work, yes.


  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Well feminism to me, boils down to choice. Women having equal opportunities as men, and having a choice in which opportunities that they wish to pursue. If a woman wants to stay at home, and be a mom, thats fine. It shouldn't be forced upon her though, it shouldn't be the only choice for a woman to have. We should have the same opportunities as men, and we should be able to shape our lives the way we want. Not be forced to conform to the old beliefs from the "Cult of Domesticity" era. Feminism to me isn't limited to one certain political ideology, but equality for women, and not just a certain set of women with a particular view point, all women.

  3. #13
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Typical conservative woman - believes in God, pro-life, traditional marriage, in favor of abstinence until marriage, traditional working roles in the family (husband works, mom stays home with the kids and/or homeschools), for smaller government, less taxes, more individual freedom....

    Can that woman be considered a "feminist"?
    Hell a vampire can apparently run for president...so I reckon a conservative woman can be a feminist...

    Maybe the problem is with the definition of a 'feminist.' What do you call a feminist...a burn your bra, pierce your cheek with a coat hanger, combat boot wearing, no leg or underarm shaving, lilith fair type, yell at a man for daring to have manners and hold a door open for her, "I dont need no damn man" type, or a woman making her own choices because its what she believes in and proud to be a partner, a wife, a mother, etc...

  4. #14
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Typical conservative woman - believes in God, pro-life, traditional marriage, in favor of abstinence until marriage, traditional working roles in the family (husband works, mom stays home with the kids and/or homeschools), for smaller government, less taxes, more individual freedom....

    Can that woman be considered a "feminist"?
    I think you have to be careful how you word your question. As it is worded, I think there is significant conflict between the ideals of choice in feminism and traditional roles. If you had added "if this is her preference" than yes, I would consider her a feminist. Most feminists are all about liberating women to allow choice in their lives.

  5. #15
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Hell a vampire can apparently run for president...so I reckon a conservative woman can be a feminist...

    Maybe the problem is with the definition of a 'feminist.' What do you call a feminist...a burn your bra, pierce your cheek with a coat hanger, combat boot wearing, no leg or underarm shaving, lilith fair type, yell at a man for daring to have manners and hold a door open for her, "I dont need no damn man" type, or a woman making her own choices because its what she believes in and proud to be a partner, a wife, a mother, etc...
    That's why I haven't voted yet. In some ways a conservative isn't a modern feminist (your first example), but in the more traditional sense of the word she is.


  6. #16
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Hell a vampire can apparently run for president...so I reckon a conservative woman can be a feminist...

    Maybe the problem is with the definition of a 'feminist.' What do you call a feminist...a burn your bra, pierce your cheek with a coat hanger, combat boot wearing, no leg or underarm shaving, lilith fair type, yell at a man for daring to have manners and hold a door open for her, "I dont need no damn man" type, or a woman making her own choices because its what she believes in and proud to be a partner, a wife, a mother, etc...
    my idea of a feminst is a woman who believes we should be able to do as we wish, marry, stay single, drive a truck, have children, and, yes, pierce our bodies if we so choose. i like lilith fair, great music, but i shave and like it when a man opens a door for me.

  7. #17
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Typical conservative woman - believes in God, pro-life, traditional marriage, in favor of abstinence until marriage, traditional working roles in the family (husband works, mom stays home with the kids and/or homeschools), for smaller government, less taxes, more individual freedom....

    Can that woman be considered a "feminist"?
    Yes
    A (ideology) Conservative woman can be a feminist.
    A (socially) Conservative woman can be a feminist.

    Feminism is NOT defined by "YOU MUST!" - just the opposite.
    It is not defined by: MUST support abortion. MUST always work instead of staying at home. MUST believe in a traditional marriage. MUST be in favor of abstinence.

    Feminism is about *being* a woman and *valuing* your femininity and not letting your femininity be *used* against you. Not letting your femininity control your life or ruin it. If you believe in these things your belief should be *because* you believe in them - not *because* men think you should believe in them or *because* you think that it's what society expects of you. It centers around it being *your choice* for *your self* and what *you think* is best for *you* and *your family*

    Feminism is about self-appreciation, equality and self respect - *using* these values to further your beliefs is a strong part of being a feminist.

    You're confusing "GOP ideology" with "conservative" ideology. . . HUGE difference and feminism can fit into all or none of them.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 07-21-10 at 12:03 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #18
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    A feminist could never be married to a house. In fact, housewives should be banned in all 50 states. Marriage should always be between one woman and one man. The sanctity, the sanctity.

  9. #19
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Well feminism to me, boils down to choice. Women having equal opportunities as men, and having a choice in which opportunities that they wish to pursue. If a woman wants to stay at home, and be a mom, thats fine. It shouldn't be forced upon her though, it shouldn't be the only choice for a woman to have. We should have the same opportunities as men, and we should be able to shape our lives the way we want. Not be forced to conform to the old beliefs from the "Cult of Domesticity" era. Feminism to me isn't limited to one certain political ideology, but equality for women, and not just a certain set of women with a particular view point, all women.
    I absolutely agree. And to further: Being a feminist, IMO, doesn't mean she wants all women to go out into the workforce and have casual sex at her leisure, etc.. A feminist simply wants women to have right to choose as much as men. not a greater choice or less. EQUAL. And so she can support those women who choose to go out into the workforce all while living the life she chooses which happens to be in line with the conservative values. Conservative values do not mean you need others to have conservative values too.

  10. #20
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    A feminist could never be married to a house. In fact, housewives should be banned in all 50 states. Marriage should always be between one woman and one man. The sanctity, the sanctity.
    It's a slippery slope, you know. Once you allow women to marry houses, what's next -- barns? Airplanes? Cylindrical devices requiring just 4 D batteries?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •