View Poll Results: See OP: Are you willing to make that deal?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because...

    6 50.00%
  • No, because...

    6 50.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This information is all from the CBO historical budget data tables.
    Historical Budget Data

    The $2288.8B entitlement figures include:
    Soc Sec, Medicare, Medicade, unemployment compensation, Supplemental Security Income, the refundable portion of the earned income and child tax credits, Food Stamps, family support, child nutrition, foster care, and miscallaneous government retirement programs not otherwise specified.


    All defense spending, includng supplemental wartime spending bills, totalled $655.5B


    My figures are accurate.
    Child credits we need. Obviously because we need a population to keep growing or to remain consistent. But should we offer child credits to whoever has them? No. Child credits should be given to the couple or individual who can support their children without government assistance. Now you may say but then what is the point of child credits? Easy, child credits makes the burden less on the supporter of the child. He or she or they are supporting their own, so their burden to society as a whole should be less.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Yeah.... the truth is often a difficult thing.
    It is not the truth because you say it or feel that way. The truth is the whole species is weak and was never strong so we take that truth in order to make life less difficult for all is not a bad thing.

  3. #23
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    It is not the truth because you say it or feel that way.
    No... it is the truth becuse it must be.

    Resources -are- limited. Spending them on those less able to contribue effectively to the furtherance of the species takes them away from thoise who are more able to contribue more effectively - thus weakening the species by arificially supporting those that would naturally be weeded out.

    Nature doesnt hold the human race in some higher regard just because we've been to the moon.

    The truth is the whole species is weak and was never strong...
    It is not the truth because you say it or feel that way

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No... it is the truth becuse it must be.

    Resources -are- limited. Spending them on those less able to contribue effectively to the furtherance of the species takes them away from thoise who are more able to contribue more effectively - thus weakening the species by arificially supporting those that would naturally be weeded out.

    Nature doesnt hold the human race in some higher regard just because we've been to the moon.
    No. Resources are not really limited. Right now we are throwing away more food and clothing to the garbage or to the oceans not because they are rare but because they are too common.


    It is not the truth because you say it or feel that way
    It is closer to the truth then blanket statement like your own. I am not trying to offend you or anything. But what I am asking for is that you change your thinking in that believing we have limited resources. Resources are limited but that does not mean we are not providing enough for the world or that the rest of the world can't catch up on.

  5. #25
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    No. Resources are not really limited.
    Yes they are. There is only so much food, so much water, so much fuel, so much medicine, so many educators, etc. Each of these items are -absolutely- finite; our present (and situational) state of plenty in no way changes this.

    It is closer to the truth then blanket statement like your own.
    Thus far, you havent shown this to be the case.

  6. #26
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    How about we cut the entitlement spending in half and stop the military welfare we give out to Europe, Africa, Latin America, East Asian and the Middle East.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The point was to present an issue that you would refuse to address in any meaningful way, as is your custom. Good to see you contine to live up to your reputation.
    Ah, so I was right. It was a dishonest poll from the start.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #28
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This is directed mostly for those on the left who (supposedly) care about the federal deficits and the national debt, but all may feel free to respond...

    FY2009
    Total defense spending was $655.8B
    Total spending on entitlements was $2288.7B

    How much do -you- want to cut defense spending?

    -I'll- agree to cutting defense spending by any amount -you- care to specifiy, so long as -you- then agree to cut entitlement spending $3.48 for each $1 cut from defense.

    Further, I'll let YOU choose what programs are cut from defense, so long as I get to choose what programs are cut from entitlements.

    Are you willing to make that deal?

    If so, how much to you want to cut...?
    I'd like to cut everything and, ideally, eliminate many entitlement programs altogether. But cutting entitlements blindly according to an arbitrary formula like this is a bad idea. Entitlements are entitlements for a reason. We'd need to phase them out in order not to leave people high and dry. Discretionary spending is discretionary for a reason, which makes it the best place for cuts in the short term.

  9. #29
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'll take that as a "no deal".
    Whatsamatter?
    Why is that a deal you don't want to agree on?

  10. #30
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Want to make a deal on cutiing defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This is directed mostly for those on the left who (supposedly) care about the federal deficits and the national debt, but all may feel free to respond...

    FY2009
    Total defense spending was $655.8B
    Total spending on entitlements was $2288.7B

    How much do -you- want to cut defense spending?

    -I'll- agree to cutting defense spending by any amount -you- care to specifiy, so long as -you- then agree to cut entitlement spending $3.48 for each $1 cut from defense.

    Further, I'll let YOU choose what programs are cut from defense, so long as I get to choose what programs are cut from entitlements.

    Are you willing to make that deal?

    If so, how much to you want to cut...?
    There needs to be cuts all around. I couldn't say if this ratio should be used, but there certainly needs to be cuts from many programs (military and others) until our budget is balanced.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •