View Poll Results: Should Marijuana be legalized?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    84 55.26%
  • No

    59 38.82%
  • Other

    2 1.32%
  • I'd like to see the legalization of drugs expanded beyond Marijuana

    31 20.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 167

Thread: Should Marijuana be legalized?

  1. #141
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,963

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Tell that to the people that get thier stuff stolen due to addicts. Tell that to the people that have died due to some idiot smoking it while driving..or just driving while high. Despite what pro-MJ people say...it does hurt more people than just the user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Has any of that stopped drunk driving? What you'll be doing is increasing death rates due to DWIs. Quite likely doubling it at the very least. Plus right now we can stop habitual drunk drivers by attaching a device to their cars that won't let the car start unless they breath into it. How is that going to work with MJ users?
    First, your statistics are extremely shotty. What you're suggesting to be able to say it will DOUBLE the number is that there is no cross over between the group of people likely to drink and drive and hte group of people likely to smoke and drive. This is an unreasonable assumption to make since in general its found that there is a great amount of cross over between Marijuana users and Alcohol users, or more to the point that most people who smoke also drink. Thus if they have poor enough judgement to drive while intoxicated its not reasonable to suggest all of them would not drink and drive but would suddenly smoke and drive. Additionally, one must assume that the legion of individuals in this country who don't smoke because they are responsable and realize its illegal would have to suddenly become IRRESPONSIBLE after the passage of the law by taking up smoking AND driving while intoxicated, which ignores their previous law abiding habits. The notion htat its going to "double" DWI's is absolutely ridiculous.

    Secondly, while its regrettable that people lose thier lives the marijuana is no more responsable for it than guns are in gun deaths or even cell phones are in vehicular deaths. The object that is causing the distraction in a car is not at fault; at fault is the PERSON and their JUDGEMENT to drive while impaired. This happens with Marijuana, it also happens with Alcohol, it happens with sleep deprivation, it happens with perscription and nonperscription medication, it happens with cell phones, it happens with gps, it happens with food and make up. Etc.

    Should we also be going "BUT THINK OF THE DEAD PEOPLE!" in an effort to ban all those things?

    I dare say there are far, far more people on a daily basis that drive on far from enough sleep or who are texting or who are chatting on a cell phone or who are trying to eat their double cheese burger with one hand while getting their ketchup packets ready then there are people who drive while high.

  2. #142
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You might want to note that during that time blacks did not have the same protections under the law that whites did. Comparing the civil rights movement to trying to legalize a drug that is harmful to ones health is a bit odd wouldn't you say? Two totally different subjects.
    Actually, they are more related than you might think. Drug laws were racially motivated from the beginning, and they've always affected minorities disproportionately. Legalization is a civil rights issue.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Actually, they are more related than you might think. Drug laws were racially motivated from the beginning, and they've always affected minorities disproportionately. Legalization is a civil rights issue.
    I don't care that one stupid ass hillbilly congressman can be quoted as making a racial remark when discussing making marijuana illegal, there is absolutely no way anyone is going to convince me that marijuana laws have anything to do with racism or civil rights.

    Its just ****ing ridiculous.

    This is the type of stuff im talking about that keeps the marijuana legalization debate retarded.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #144
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I don't care that one stupid ass hillbilly congressman can be quoted as making a racial remark when discussing making marijuana illegal, there is absolutely no way anyone is going to convince me that marijuana laws have anything to do with racism or civil rights.

    Its just ****ing ridiculous.

    This is the type of stuff im talking about that keeps the marijuana legalization debate retarded.
    true, its all about the government seizing more power and making billions off of keeping dope illegal



  5. #145
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Money has got to be the worst reason to legalize anything EVER. How about we legalize murder and tax it? Thefts? We could tax that too. And no MJ is at the very least just as bad as cigarette's and alcohol comined. It has the same cancer causing chemicals in it that cigarette's does and the same perception altering ability as alcohol. Because of that MJ is worse than either cigarettes or alcohol alone.
    Wow that is overreacting if I ever saw it. We already get taxed for murder and theft though, just we don't call it that it goes by the name of "War", how is that for overreacting?

    Also everything you said after that is patently false. It has be proven several times that cannabis has far less carcinogens than tobacco, and there is not one kind of cancer that can be linked with heavy use of it. Alocohol is FAR worse than marijuana. When is the last time you heard of someone wrecking and killing somebody because they smoked a little to much pot? When is the last time you read someone overdosed on it?

    You however, think exactly how the powers that be want you to think, like a sheep so it is easier to keep you in check when they want to tell you something in the future. Actually try the stuff (sever hundred times ) and then try to tell me it doesnt anything more than make you lazy, sleepy, hungry, and burn a little bit of your cash away.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I don't care that one stupid ass hillbilly congressman can be quoted as making a racial remark when discussing making marijuana illegal, there is absolutely no way anyone is going to convince me that marijuana laws have anything to do with racism or civil rights.

    Its just ****ing ridiculous.

    This is the type of stuff im talking about that keeps the marijuana legalization debate retarded.
    It's the truth. The propaganda campaign that was waged by the newly formed Federal Bureau of Narcotics, headed by Harry J Anslinger, was famous for equating marijuana use with minorities.

    Anslinger has been accused responsible for racial themes in articles against marijuana in the 1930s.

    "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

    "Colored students at the Univ. of Minn. partying with (white) female students, smoking [marijuana] and getting their sympathy with stories of racial persecution. Result: pregnancy"

    "Two Negros took a girl fourteen years old and kept her for two days under the influence of hemp. Upon recovery she was found to be suffering from syphilis."
    Harry J. Anslinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    He wrote the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937.

  7. #147
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Yeah the whole "Refer Madness" thing came from the claim that when Mexicans smoked it, it made them go on killing sprees and rape white women. I wish I could find the old propaganda posters...

  8. #148
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It's the truth. The propaganda campaign that was waged by the newly formed Federal Bureau of Narcotics, headed by Harry J Anslinger, was famous for equating marijuana use with minorities.


    Harry J. Anslinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    He wrote the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937.
    Ummm... so, like I said, a guy equated the two so somehow that means the actual people WHO VOTED TO BAN THE SUBSTANCE (not including this guy) voted that way because they wuz tryin' to keep da black man down?

    Come on.. get a grip, debating like this turns people off to getting behind legalization. Makes you sound like a bunch of race baiting loons.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #149
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Yeah it isn't exactly true that they were trying to keep blacks down, they were trying to keep mexicans down. Also, cotton and lumber industries had a huge stake in it and had their lobbyist convince members of congress because well, hemp was keeping their industries down.

  10. #150
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    tell us how is society helped by the rape of individual rights that the war on drugs is used to justify. by the millions of people who have felony records because of weed. the billions of dollars we spend jailing, prosecuting and managing dopers. Its a joke. its a waste of time, money and freedom. and most importantly, the arguments the government advances both in terms of its power to regulate and ban weed and why they feel a need to imprison people for smoking stuff that grows in your backyard naturally are completely specious
    People are always hollering about individual rights. I wonder if they realize that the only rights that people really have are those given to them by society. And in this case society has deemed that you do not have the right to smoke MJ for reasons that have already been listed in this thread. Sorry but am tired of repeating myself over and over. The pro-MJ crowd seems to think that the health hazards associated with MJ are "lies". They are not lies. I've seen the effects personally. My sister for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and before you think I am a doper-I am the exact opposite. I was a track athlete in HS and some college and having bad allergies I had to avoid the stuff. And watching two parents die from smoking related cancers and COPD there is no way I am gonna smoke anything.
    Just an FYI...I don't assume that anyone is anything. I'm pro-gay marriage...doesn't mean that I am gay. I apply the same logic to everyone else.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •