View Poll Results: Is Taxation Slavery?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 17.14%
  • No

    78 74.29%
  • Other (Explain)

    9 8.57%
Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 872

Thread: Is Taxation Slavery?

  1. #81
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This is why I never could stand the libertarian party. Unrealistic expectations.

    And then they wonder why they are seen as a joke by the other parties.

    It can't work in our society, and it never will or happen. It is fantasy.
    Yes, because we all know that without the government at every level being involved in your life and making decisions for you is such a terrible thing to contemplate.

  2. #82
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Well, it would help if you could identify what makes one a libertarian. I'm not a libertarian, since I'm a Constitutionalist. A very strict one at that. My positions are based upon reality and historical fact.
    I've argued the Constitution with you. Strict constructionists do not base their decisions on the reality of current society. They base them on theory. This is why they are not based on reality.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    It states it because the police or other government services are not there to provide service to any one individual. That leaves only the individual themself to provide for their protection. In any event, the government is not there to provide any service, but it is up to the individual to ensure for their own safety and protection of their property even when many Constitutions say that the chief design of good government is to secure the rights and property of the people. You can twist it all you like and ignore the other party involved in these suits brought before the Supreme Court. I frankly don't care.
    I'm not the one doing the twisting. That would be you. This was a liabiity case. Both of them were. The police were not found liable.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #84
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Yes, because we all know that without the government at every level being involved in your life and making decisions for you is such a terrible thing to contemplate.
    You keep talking in absolutes like this. You cannot prove an absolute.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #85
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    The United States government is a corporation, which under corporate law does make it a person. Therefore, the government as a person does have absolute power and controls his life, liberty, or fortune. Thus, under said definition it is slavery.
    I heavily disagree with the concept of corporate personhood, so i would disagree with your statement. Furthermore, you can twist words all you want, but the fact of the matter is that you have an avenue to change the legal conditions of taxation, something you would not have if you were a slave. Also, if you're trying to claim that taxation makes us slave, then it would be nigh impossible to live in an organized society and not be a slave. Every government save a few unrealistic utopian experiments have had some form of taxation, and if the principle of taxation makes us slaves, it doesn't matter if the rate is 1%, 99%, or every third chicken.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  6. #86
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    You're in for a shock then because the courts have ruled that it is your responsibility to defend your property from thieves and fire. The government is under no obligation to defend those things. I'll cite South v. Maryland (1853) where the Supreme Court ruled that the police do not have to protect you or your property because it is your responsibility.
    I have to ask: do you agree and defend every court ruling, or just the ones that help you to make your point? Should I expect to see you arguing against property rights on basis of Kelso vs. New London, or for abortion rights based on Roe v. Wade?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  7. #87
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Well, it would help if you could identify what makes one a libertarian. I'm not a libertarian, since I'm a Constitutionalist. A very strict one at that. My positions are based upon reality and historical fact.
    I think Cap is using "libertarian" to refer to someone who argues for a radically reduced level of government. I heavily doubt your positions are based on current fact: i.e. what effect they would have on our current interconnected high-tech society, not on the agrarian society of 200 years ago.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  8. #88
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    No, taxation is not slavery, that's simply overblown rhetoric. Taxation is a needed, if undesirable, function of the government.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  9. #89
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Am I the only one who finds it funny that the guy with a confederate flag on his avatar is whining about "slavery"?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  10. #90
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    So people shouldn't be expected (or even feel obligated) to contribute to the future of their country (i.e. the children of this country)?
    I would say that should be expected to contirbute! They shoudl feel obligated to contribute! They shouldn't be forced to. Forcing them to is taking away their freedom to be immoral.

Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •