View Poll Results: Is Taxation Slavery?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 17.14%
  • No

    78 74.29%
  • Other (Explain)

    9 8.57%
Page 67 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 872

Thread: Is Taxation Slavery?

  1. #661
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I did produce evidence. You will not accept it because of factors that have no bearing on our conversation.



    I do want an honest discussion, but I am waiting for you to produce a real argument.



    I already pointed out the flaws in your proof, multiple times.



    Linking to the basement is a bad idea. I will report you now.
    I'll take your reply to mean that you have no interest in debate and are following your own rules. This means I can ignore what you have to say in this thread and any others.

  2. #662
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I'll take your reply to mean that you have no interest in debate and are following your own rules. This means I can ignore what you have to say in this thread and any others.
    If you wish, however, this does not make your argument correct and mine wrong.

  3. #663
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    If you wish, however, this does not make your argument correct and mine wrong.
    It does when you flat out state in another part of the forum that you do not want an honest debate.

  4. #664
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    It does when you flat out state in another part of the forum that you do not want an honest debate.
    If you wish to discuss that thread, I suggest you do so in the appropriate place.

  5. #665
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Notice that I said stop making an income

    No income no income taxes

    And you can live without earning money,


    Buy about 500 acres and farmstead. You wont have electricity, a computer or a car but you will live
    Lord Tammerlain, your political persuasion is undisclosed, but I bet you're a liberal democrat. Assuming you're a typical liberal democrat, wouldn't it be more appropriate for your *kind to give up all the consumption habits of a capitalist society to go live a self-sustaining prophecy on a farm? Isn't that the sort of egrarian lifestyle that so many luddite, anti-capitalist, anti-consumptionist, pro-environment liberals yearn for? According to the most extreme strand of environmentalism, it is our large societies, with their unsustainable living and consumption habits that are tearing a hole in the precious Earth. Time and time again, the solution has been to go back to the farm, perhaps to even go further and give up on agriculture altogether! Aren't you opposed to sweat shops? Given that 90% off all goods are made in "sweat shops," that would mean you would have to give up all manufactured products and spin and weave your own clothes. So, in all fairness, shouldn't you be considering a move to the corn belt?

    Just one thing about taxes, and I'm taking it from Milton Friedman:

    The IRS is a part of the government. Is the government suppose to serve us, or do we serve the government? Do we elect politicians to represent our views, or to control our lives? If the government is suppose to SERVE you, then let me ask you another question. When you're being audited by the IRS and sitting opposite a government bureaucrat who has the power to garnish your wages, throw you in jail, and take everything you've earned...who is the master, and who is the slave?

  6. #666
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    So anyway to rehash.

    There issue is defined as (and I will once again link it in to show that I am not moving goal posts)

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    That sounds good on paper. Unfortunately, private charities can not keep up with the needs of the f financially handicapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Not true since private charities were able to do so for over a hundred years before the government got involved. The government hates competition.
    The data about the founding of private charities and the data from 2007 and 2008 does not address the issue because it only shows that some philanthropic societies were founded and that people gave to charity. It does not show that the needs of the financially handicapped were met, only that money was given. Was it enough to meet the needs of the financially handicapped? I contend that it is not as there are still financially handicapped people with unmet needs.

    For example : FRAC - Hunger in the U.S.

    Now, your claim also was that before government got involved, the needs of the financially handicapped were met. You did not state federal government in your post, so to later redefine your statement would be moving the goal posts. As such, I will continue to address the statement in post 445, as you have not retracted it.

    HISTORY

    To be clear, constitutionality and legal legitimacy is not a proper part of the argument as this is primarily a financial discussion about taxation and how it related to charitable giving, so please stop using an argument that is irrelevant.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 07-17-10 at 03:23 PM.

  7. #667
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No. The government needs an income to support military, public works and roads etc. I have no problem paying my fair share of taxes. It is when I see them throwing good money after bad on failed programs I have a problem. Otherwise no, it's not in any way slavery.
    Yes, the government needs some source of revenue to support its <usually> ill-fated wars, public control programs, and roads. In a logical, mathematical argument, "fair" has little to no credibility. What you consider fair, someone else considers unfair. So, what is a fair amount to spend (of your income) on the federal government? Must the government take 90% of this person's income, 50% of another person's income, and 0% of yet another person's income. Is that "fair?" For the average individual, how much is enough? 40%? 50%? 60%? "Failed programs?" How often does the Feds come up with a successful program? I know there are some examples. But by and large, the Feds waste the MAJORITY of funds they receive, and the increasing revenue only allows the government more power to limit our personal liberties. I guess you consider the garnishment of wages, the imprisonment of tax evasion, and heavy penalities to be associated with a representative government? Who is the master in that equation? Are you not a slave to the federal government, given that they have the power to throw you in jail for not paying your "fair" share of taxes, or not sacrificing your life for an ill-fated war, or not abiding by all the social customs? You can be thrown in jail for dealing in marijuana distribution, for dealing in prosititution, etc. And the laws and limits to freedom continue to pile on each and every day.

  8. #668
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Megaprogman, with the evidence you have given, what is your personal solution to the problem of high hunger rates and a community of "financially handicapped" individuals? I suggest you read the following:

    Author Adam Shepard Undertakes Journey to Chronicle an &#039;Average Joe&#039;s&#039; Search for the American Dream | Scratch Beginnings

  9. #669
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Lord Tammerlain, your political persuasion is undisclosed, but I bet you're a liberal democrat. Assuming you're a typical liberal democrat, wouldn't it be more appropriate for your *kind to give up all the consumption habits of a capitalist society to go live a self-sustaining prophecy on a farm?
    I wish America would start a neo-indiginous program. Where it would be ok to walk into the forest and hunt without permits so long as you live like a hunter-gatherer. I would go venture into the forests and build a cottage hastily. At least then if true liberals ever win in elections (and not odd fakeys who mooch of the TEA parties momentum *cough Palin cough* I could come back to society as a Survival trainier.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  10. #670
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Lord Tammerlain, your political persuasion is undisclosed, but I bet you're a liberal democrat. Assuming you're a typical liberal democrat, wouldn't it be more appropriate for your *kind to give up all the consumption habits of a capitalist society to go live a self-sustaining prophecy on a farm? Isn't that the sort of egrarian lifestyle that so many luddite, anti-capitalist, anti-consumptionist, pro-environment liberals yearn for? According to the most extreme strand of environmentalism, it is our large societies, with their unsustainable living and consumption habits that are tearing a hole in the precious Earth. Time and time again, the solution has been to go back to the farm, perhaps to even go further and give up on agriculture altogether! Aren't you opposed to sweat shops? Given that 90% off all goods are made in "sweat shops," that would mean you would have to give up all manufactured products and spin and weave your own clothes. So, in all fairness, shouldn't you be considering a move to the corn belt?

    Just one thing about taxes, and I'm taking it from Milton Friedman:

    The IRS is a part of the government. Is the government suppose to serve us, or do we serve the government? Do we elect politicians to represent our views, or to control our lives? If the government is suppose to SERVE you, then let me ask you another question. When you're being audited by the IRS and sitting opposite a government bureaucrat who has the power to garnish your wages, throw you in jail, and take everything you've earned...who is the master, and who is the slave?
    Moderator's Warning:
    Is Taxation Slavery?Focus on the topic rather than attacking the poster.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 67 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •