View Poll Results: Is Taxation Slavery?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 17.14%
  • No

    78 74.29%
  • Other (Explain)

    9 8.57%
Page 47 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 872

Thread: Is Taxation Slavery?

  1. #461
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    If you want the statistics then buy the book. I can only present to you what they have available for free.
    Well, I will look at it in this way.

    Women's History Then & Now - Prostitution

    Research on prostitution was developing during the nineteenth century, and Dr. William Sanger was one of the foremost researchers on prostitution during this period; his work is still highly esteemed due to its accuracy and depth. Sanger examined the identity of the average prostitute and sought to understand why she had turned to that lifestyle. He found that the majority of prostitutes were in their late teens or early twenties; they were usually illiterate, poor and from broken families (Bullough 243). Victorian Servant Economic poverty, societal disgrace, and lack of education were also causes of girls turning towards prostitution; they had a limited number of options available to them. Sanger asked several prostitutes why they had turned to this way of life and they gave a number of different reasons. For instance, some women had either been expelled from their homes or deserted by their parents and found prostitution the only way to support themselves. Other girls were forced into prostitution in order for their families to survive. Similarly, girls who had worked in domestics or servants were forced into prostitution because they had been seduced by their masters and then abandoned. On the other hand, a number of women would turn to prostitution simply as an escape from typical professions. Many of the girls expected to remain prostitutes only until something better became available. Immigrant women who had arrived to the country without money or were brought into the country forcibly had only prostitution open to them (Bullough 243). The conditions for women in the Victorian period caused many young teenagers and women to turn towards prostitution as a means of survival.
    The only conclusion I can make is if those philanthropists had been helping everyone, than no one would have needed to turn to things like prostitution to survive. I guess those statistics weren't so necessary after all. However, until this kind of stuff is eradicated, than charity will never be enough.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 07-15-10 at 12:15 PM.

  2. #462
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    If those charities were as effective as the US government, then the poverty rate would go down. You have no proof that those charities took care of everyone, instead of just a lucky few. The gov. can take care of everyone.
    So you have no proof to back up your assertation. If the government can take care of everyone then why do we still have a poverty rate in the 10-20% range? The government has standards that people must meet in order to be eligible for assistance and even then they do not have to provide it. Private charities have always helped those that they could provided they had the money available. Due to them being private they can have whatever standards they wish.

  3. #463
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    He that asserts must prove, so show me your proof.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I can only point you in the right direction to learn about it on your own. However, these charities are still in operation today, so you can call them to ask for yourself.
    So the statement above doesn't apply to you?

  4. #464
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Well, I will look at it in this way.

    Women's History Then & Now - Prostitution

    The only conclusion I can make is if those philanthroposts had been helping everyone, than noone would have needed to turn to things like prostitution to survive. I guess those statistics weren't so necessary after all.
    You also have to account that in that timeframe women were not allowed to work outside of the home. It was against the law in many states and against societal norms. However, this does not prove that private charities didn't help them. Invalid comparison logical fallacy, so please try again.

  5. #465
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Not true since private charities were able to do so for over a hundred years before the government got involved.
    The problem with charities, however, is that, because they rely on volunteers, they may not have the full expertise necessesary to efficiently pursue their charitable works. Also, charities are capable of their own abuses, such as Magdalene laundries.

    Magdalene asylum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  6. #466
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    You also have to account that in that timeframe women were not allowed to work outside of the home. It was against the law in many states and against societal norms. However, this does not prove that private charities didn't help them. Invalid comparison logical fallacy, so please try again.
    Ok, so they could not work. This means they could not earn a legitimate income. This means they would have to turn to charity for support or some form of illegitimate income. The fact that they turned to an illegitimate income means they were not able to rely on charity. The article states that only a few women turned to prostitution because they liked it and considered it to be a good lifestyle. That alone does prove that charity did not help them because they did not have what they needed for survival.

    Please do not confuse arguments you disagree with with logical fallacies. I am trying to have an honest conversation with you here.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 07-15-10 at 12:22 PM.

  7. #467
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So the statement above doesn't apply to you?
    For one thing, statistics is a rather new phenomeana and only have been an area of study for less than a hundred years. Secondly, these charities have almost 200 years of data that only they have access to. I pointed you in the right direction to find out for yourself. I did prove that private charities were reliable and always there way before the government got involved. I may no claims about how many people they helped. That is something that you demanded, but under the rules of debate that is up to you to independently research. I'm under no obligation to provide it since it was never my argument to begin with. Also, no one can remove poverty since humans by nature are lazy and would have things handed to them. As evidenced by the National Poverty Center's statistics and data, poverty has remained unchanged.

    Now prior to 1916, people in the United States had far more disposable income due to the fact there weren't that many taxes placed on them and the government didn't limit their choices regarding charitible giving. Combine this with the fact that there was a fixed currency that didn't devalue over time, inflation, that the average American's spending power was greater than it is today. All of this is the fault of the government by implementing laws that interfere with charitible giving, fiat currency that has lost its purchasing power, and the taking of most of the disposable income of many Americans through taxation.

  8. #468
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    So you have no proof to back up your assertation. If the government can take care of everyone then why do we still have a poverty rate in the 10-20% range? The government has standards that people must meet in order to be eligible for assistance and even then they do not have to provide it. Private charities have always helped those that they could provided they had the money available. Due to them being private they can have whatever standards they wish.
    You know that is not always a good thing right.
    Anyway private charities will never be able to take care of people the way the government can. There are standards for government welfare so they can take care of the truly impoverished, and give them a crutch while they are down, so they can get back on there feet. This is shown with the numbers I gave you about the poverty rate going down when welfare programs were implemented.

  9. #469
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Ok, so they could not work. This means they could not earn a legitimate income. This means they would have to turn to charity for support or some form of illegitimate income. The fact that they turned to an illegitimate income means they were not able to rely on charity. The article states that only a few women turned to prostitution because they liked it and considered it to be a good lifestyle. That alone does prove that charity did not help them because they did not have what they needed for survival.

    Please do not confuse arguments you disagree with with logical fallacies. I am trying to have an honest conversation with you here.
    The logical fallacy comes in when the article doesn't prove that these women went to a charity to get help and were turned away. In fact, it never even touches upon the subject, which is why it's an invalid comparison logical fallacy.

  10. #470
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    For one thing, statistics is a rather new phenomeana and only have been an area of study for less than a hundred years. Secondly, these charities have almost 200 years of data that only they have access to. I pointed you in the right direction to find out for yourself. I did prove that private charities were reliable and always there way before the government got involved. I may no claims about how many people they helped. That is something that you demanded, but under the rules of debate that is up to you to independently research. I'm under no obligation to provide it since it was never my argument to begin with. Also, no one can remove poverty since humans by nature are lazy and would have things handed to them. As evidenced by the National Poverty Center's statistics and data, poverty has remained unchanged.

    Now prior to 1916, people in the United States had far more disposable income due to the fact there weren't that many taxes placed on them and the government didn't limit their choices regarding charitible giving. Combine this with the fact that there was a fixed currency that didn't devalue over time, inflation, that the average American's spending power was greater than it is today. All of this is the fault of the government by implementing laws that interfere with charitible giving, fiat currency that has lost its purchasing power, and the taking of most of the disposable income of many Americans through taxation.
    The fundamental point of debate is that you can back up your statements, not point someone "in the right direction" and tell them to find it for themselves. The person that makes the assertion has to be the one to cite it, its kind of like a college paper.

Page 47 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •