View Poll Results: Is Taxation Slavery?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 17.14%
  • No

    78 74.29%
  • Other (Explain)

    9 8.57%
Page 46 of 88 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 872

Thread: Is Taxation Slavery?

  1. #451
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Your over exaggerating the effectiveness of those charities. Before welfare programs it was quite literally do or die.
    He that asserts must prove, so show me your proof.

  2. #452
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    No because it does not address the real question. Yes there have been examples of philanthropy throughout time, what I want to see is that if it is enough to take care of everyone in need.

  3. #453
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    He that asserts must prove, so show me your proof.
    Private charities can't reduce the poverty rate as much as the government can.

    Welfare increases poverty

  4. #454
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    No because it does not address the real question. Yes there have been examples of philanthropy throughout time, what I want to see is that if it is enough to take care of everyone in need.
    The link I posted shows that it did take of everyone in need. This is from the link:

    St. Andrew’s Society is founded in Charleston, SC, "to assist all people in distress, or whatsoever Nation or Profession.

    Jean Louis makes gift for founding Charity Hospital, New Orleans.

    Philadelphia Bettering House, sometimes called "Pauper Palace," opened.

    St. George Society was created as a charity to help impoverished colonists in New York City, who had need of sustenance and perhaps the cost of a fare for a passage home. It was quickly followed in 1772 by a branch in Philadelphia and another in Charleston in 1773. Other branches followed in other American states and in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and elsewhere. The society exists today as the St. George’s Society of New York and is considered the oldest charity in the United States.

    Parliamentary Act, which ran until 1775, closes Boston Port, creating the greatest relief problem in colonial period. Other towns and colonies send money, grain and livestock to aid Boston residents and businesses.

    This is just a small sampling from a book written about private charities in the United States.

  5. #455
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    The link I posted shows that it did take of everyone in need. This is from the link:

    St. Andrew’s Society is founded in Charleston, SC, "to assist all people in distress, or whatsoever Nation or Profession.
    Thats just a mission statement. Can you show where they actually achieved it?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Jean Louis makes gift for founding Charity Hospital, New Orleans.
    Did it help everyone or at least serve the same scope that the government otherwise does today?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Philadelphia Bettering House, sometimes called "Pauper Palace," opened.

    St. George Society was created as a charity to help impoverished colonists in New York City, who had need of sustenance and perhaps the cost of a fare for a passage home. It was quickly followed in 1772 by a branch in Philadelphia and another in Charleston in 1773. Other branches followed in other American states and in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and elsewhere. The society exists today as the St. George’s Society of New York and is considered the oldest charity in the United States.

    Parliamentary Act, which ran until 1775, closes Boston Port, creating the greatest relief problem in colonial period. Other towns and colonies send money, grain and livestock to aid Boston residents and businesses.

    This is just a small sampling from a book written about private charities in the United States.
    Yes, those are examples of charity institutions helping out the poor which is great, but again, there is no evidence that people who needed it did not go unhelped. I saw no statistics showing stuff like # needing help, # getting help, etc.

  6. #456
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Private charities can't reduce the poverty rate as much as the government can.

    Welfare increases poverty
    The poverty rate in the United States is unchanged since the New Deal and the Great Society programs were implemented. This, however, is an aside since it doesn't prove your assertation of 'Your over exaggerating the effectiveness of those charities. Before welfare programs it was quite literally do or die.' Show me the proof that before the government got involved that it was 'do or die'.

    Here's the statistics from the National Poverty Center.

    In the late 1950s, the poverty rate for all Americans was 22.4 percent, or 39.5 million individuals. These numbers declined steadily throughout the 1960s, reaching a low of 11.1 percent, or 22.9 million individuals, in 1973. Over the next decade, the poverty rate fluctuated between 11.1 and 12.6 percent, but it began to rise steadily again in 1980. By 1983, the number of poor individuals had risen to 35.3 million individuals, or 15.2 percent.

  7. #457
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Thats just a mission statement. Can you show where they actually achieved it?

    Did it help everyone or at least serve the same scope that the government otherwise does today?

    Yes, those are examples of charity institutions helping out the poor which is great, but again, there is no evidence that people who needed it did not go unhelped. I saw no statistics showing stuff like # needing help, # getting help, etc.
    If you want the statistics then buy the book. I can only present to you what they have available for free.

  8. #458
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    The poverty rate in the United States is unchanged since the New Deal and the Great Society programs were implemented. This, however, is an aside since it doesn't prove your assertation of 'Your over exaggerating the effectiveness of those charities. Before welfare programs it was quite literally do or die.' Show me the proof that before the government got involved that it was 'do or die'.

    Here's the statistics from the National Poverty Center.
    If those charities were as effective as the US government, then the poverty rate would go down. You have no proof that those charities took care of everyone, instead of just a lucky few. The gov. can take care of everyone.

  9. #459
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    If you want the statistics then buy the book. I can only present to you what they have available for free.
    So you have no statistics then?

  10. #460
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So you have no statistics then?
    I can only point you in the right direction to learn about it on your own. However, these charities are still in operation today, so you can call them to ask for yourself.
    Last edited by The_Patriot; 07-15-10 at 12:11 PM.

Page 46 of 88 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •