View Poll Results: Is Taxation Slavery?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 17.14%
  • No

    78 74.29%
  • Other (Explain)

    9 8.57%
Page 32 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 872

Thread: Is Taxation Slavery?

  1. #311
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No it's because you are trying to play a game because you were wrong, but you know this.
    On the contrary. I am absolutelty correct, and remian correct until insurrection and secession are shown to be synonyms. You cannot simply use the words interchangeably as it is absolutely possible to engage in one without engaging in the other.

    And yet you cut it out of my post rather than respond to it. I wonder why?
    Here for your reading pleasure....
    sedition
    n. the federal crime of advocacy of insurrection against the government
    I skipped it last time because it was -obviously- not relevant. I guess you need me to explain why.

    You provided the defintion of sedition. So what?
    That doesnt in any way show that secession and insurrection are the same, and does nothing to address the argument I presented.

    The part you seem to miss is that once the states seceed, its impossible for them to enter into an insurrection with the Union because they are no longer part of the Union -- and so, for nything related to insurrection - including sedition - to apply in any way, you have to show that the states could not seceed, and thus remained part of the union.

    Given that, there's no way to argue that the power to suppress insurrections is a constituionl prohibition against secessiion (as if the faulty logic alone doesnt illustrate the absurdity of the idea).

    Can Canada openly rebel against the United States?
    No. Neither can the CSA, for the same reason.

  2. #312
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    On the contrary. I am absolutelty correct, and remian correct until insurrection and secession are shown to be synonyms. You cannot simply use the words interchangeably as it is absolutely possible to engage in one without engaging in the other.


    I skipped it last time because it was -obviously- not relevant. I guess you need me to explain why.

    You provided the defintion of sedition. So what?
    That doesnt in any way show that secession and insurrection are the same, and does nothing to address the argument I presented.

    The part you seem to miss is that once the states seceed, its impossible for them to enter into an insurrection with the Union because they are no longer part of the Union -- and so, for nything related to insurrection - including sedition - to apply in any way, you have to show that the states could not seceed, and thus remained part of the union.

    Given that, there's no way to argue that the power to suppress insurrections is a constituionl prohibition against secessiion (as if the faulty logic alone doesnt illustrate the absurdity of the idea).

    Can Canada openly rebel against the United States?
    No. Neither can the CSA, for the same reason.
    You still don't get it, you have no argument on this issue...

    Texas v. White, 74 U.S. 700 (1869) In accepting jurisdiction, the court ruled that Texas had remained a state ever since it first joined the Union, despite its joining the Confederate States of America and its being under military rule at the time of the decision in the case. In deciding the merits of the bond issue, the court further held that the Constitution did not permit states to secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".

    End of debate unless you want to try and weasel a little more?

    PS lets go furthure...

    This is the definition of sedition:

    sedition
    n. the federal crime of advocacy of insurrection against the government or support for an enemy of the nation during time of war, by speeches, publications and organization. Sedition usually involves actually conspiring to disrupt the legal operation of the government and is beyond expression of an opinion or protesting government policy. Sedition is a lesser crime than "treason," which requires actual betrayal of the government, or "espionage." Espionage involves spying on the government, trading state secrets (particularly military) to another country (even a friendly nation), or sabotaging governmental facilities, equipment or suppliers of the government, like an aircraft factory. During U.S. participation in World War II (1941-1945) several leaders of the German-American Bund, a pro-Nazi organization, were tried and convicted of sedition for actively interfering with the war effort. Since freedom of speech, press and assembly are guaranteed by the Bill of Rights and because treason and espionage charges can be made for overt acts against the nation's security, sedition charges are rare.

    See also: espionage treason
    - law.com Law Dictionary

    The very act of sedition IS considered insurrection by the law of the US.

    You got nothing.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 07-13-10 at 06:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #313
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    IIRC Texas v. White was a post-war decision; if it makes secession unconstitution, it does so from the point of the decision, and not points prior.
    No. Texas v. White did not do that. It indicated that secession was NEVER Contitutional. The issue it was discussing was from prior to the decision.

    And while the preamble and the federalist papers maigh be used to support arguments regarding the intention of the Constitution, we all know they carry no legal force.
    The Federalist Papers are documents that explain the meanings behind some of the issues contained in the Constitution. The have been heavily cited, throughout history in SCOTUS cases regarding Consitutional law.

    Question:
    If it is impossible to secede from the union, then it is impossible to re-admit 'secessionist' states to the union because they never actually left said union.
    True.

    HOWever, the 'secessionist' states, as part of their process for 're-admission' to the union, wre require to ratify the 13th-15th amendments.

    The federal government cannot force states to ratify amendments, and so weren't the 13th-15th were ratified unconstitutionally?
    The states were not re-admitted to the Union. They were re-admitted to having representation in Congress, having pulled out of Congress, voluntarily, in 1861. Further, the states were in a state of illegal rebellion, and after 1865, were under military rule until it could be secured that their governments were willing to abide by the laws of the Constitution.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #314
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Ah -- the "love it or leave it" argument.
    Be sure to recall this remark the next time a Republican-controlled government does someting you do not like.
    I've heard plenty of Republicans use this argument when things like that occur.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Since you apparently dont understand the issue here, I'll simplify it for you.

    The question as to If secession is allowed/prohibited by the Consitution is irelevant, as your quandry lies here:
    -If they did not leave the union, they cannot be forced to ratify an amendment.
    -If they did leave the union, there was no insurrection, and then, not being states, are not eligible to ratify an amendment.

    You can have it either way -- but either way directly calls into question the constitutionality of the ratification of the 13th-15th amedments.

    So, which way do you want it? You pick, and then address the relevant issue.
    They seceded from the union, therefore losing their right to vote on an amendment. Criminals can not vote.

    There is no quandry here, only your refusal to ignore the rule of law and fallacious reasoning

    I am correct and you are wrong, again.

  6. #316
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    I guess the best answer to this thread is

    if you are being taxed for what you use and taxed on a fair amount of common stuff (you cannot define how much military you use or say coast guard patrols) as well as being taxed to pay for those who really need help (disabled vets, the orphans of K IA vets or cops etc) then no-you are being charged fairly

    If you are soaked to pay for the vote buying schemes of socialist politicians than it is closer to slavery



  7. #317
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I guess the best answer to this thread is

    if you are being taxed for what you use and taxed on a fair amount of common stuff (you cannot define how much military you use or say coast guard patrols) as well as being taxed to pay for those who really need help (disabled vets, the orphans of K IA vets or cops etc) then no-you are being charged fairly

    If you are soaked to pay for the vote buying schemes of socialist politicians than it is closer to slavery
    Don't you think that giving tax cuts when we have such a huge deficit is pandering to a certain class of voters? Or, are they special?

  8. #318
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Don't you think that giving tax cuts when we have such a huge deficit is pandering to a certain class of voters? Or, are they special?
    it sure beats making that small segment be the only group that has to pay more and more and more

    since the dems claim that only the rich need to pay more, there is absolutely no incentive for the vast majority of voters to worry about increased deficits since they aren't being forced to cover them


    why not make everyone pay the same rate and if the government needs more money (I use the word NEED rather loosely since half of what the government does is wasteful or outright unconstitutional) make everyone suffer an equal rise in tax rates meaning everyone keeps the same lesser amount of each additional dollar they make. FOr those who don't pay taxes but still vote-cut their entitlements equally.



  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    it sure beats making that small segment be the only group that has to pay more and more and more

    since the dems claim that only the rich need to pay more, there is absolutely no incentive for the vast majority of voters to worry about increased deficits since they aren't being forced to cover them


    why not make everyone pay the same rate and if the government needs more money (I use the word NEED rather loosely since half of what the government does is wasteful or outright unconstitutional) make everyone suffer an equal rise in tax rates meaning everyone keeps the same lesser amount of each additional dollar they make. FOr those who don't pay taxes but still vote-cut their entitlements equally.
    No, I believe that would be unacceptable to the majority. It would be unjustifiable to do that.

  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Let me see if I understand this. You own your property because you have physical possession of it (If you don't accept the sovereignty of a state, you obviously don't have a legal claim).
    Um no original appropriation of land can only come about legitimately through mixing ones labour with the soil or by entering into a voluntary contract for transfer of title from someone who has or someone who has legitimately acquired the title of said land from someone who has and so on and so forth.

    A country is a group of people banded together who claim possession of a territory in a legal (not necessarily physical) sense. So the land is yours only on basis that you can keep control of it, but the state has the means to take your land by force, so their claim is more legitimate, right? Or am I missing something?
    You are missing the homestead principle. You can't simply claim possession of territory and be entitled to legitimate ownership. The state has no legitimate claim to ownership of anything. The state does not have rights the state itself is an illegitimate entity based upon the violation of individual sovereignty and the non-aggression principle.

    To say if you don't like the state then simply move presupposes that the state is a legitimate entity to begin with when my entire premise is that the state itself is illegitimate thus you are begging the question.
    Last edited by Agent Ferris; 07-13-10 at 08:31 PM.

Page 32 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •