View Poll Results: Is Taxation Slavery?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 17.14%
  • No

    78 74.29%
  • Other (Explain)

    9 8.57%
Page 24 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 872

Thread: Is Taxation Slavery?

  1. #231
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    #1 Please point out where anyone said the South was "uneducated." In fact, you are the only one. I know you will not as you just ignore the hard questions or dance around them with unrelated fallacy's. Or accuse the person of saying something they did not.

    #2 So your reply as usual has absolutly nothing to do with the point being made or the answer expected from you.

    #3 The schools themselfs have almost no relivence with out statistics of those who attended and those who did not.

    So far you have shown nothing but opinion.
    #1-liblady in post #105 stated, "i am wondering just how educated the typical confederate soldier was." This infers that the typical Confederate soldier was uneducated. Therefore, you are wrong that someone didn't say that Confederates were uneducated.

    #2-My post highlighting the literacy rates of the south show that the south was educated nearly to the degree the north was. That is, unless, you think that literacy isn't a part of being educated.

    #3-Statistics are invalid since they do not exist for either side of the Mason-Dixon. If you want statistics of the south then you present the ones for the north. However, academia has made it difficult for any historian to research into the antebellum south for political correctness reasons and want all of the focus on New England. The two pdfs I linked state this as a fact.

    So far you have shown nothing and produced nothing, but are quick to jump on a person that does provide a source. You want me to produce statistics of the southern school attendence then do so for the north first.

  2. #232
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    #1-liblady in post #105 stated, "i am wondering just how educated the typical confederate soldier was." This infers that the typical Confederate soldier was uneducated. Therefore, you are wrong that someone didn't say that Confederates were uneducated.
    Oh man I called that one!

    She asked a question that inferred nothing but asking a question, so again you are trying to put words in others mouths.

    Funny how often that comes up.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    #2-My post highlighting the literacy rates of the south show that the south was educated nearly to the degree the north was. That is, unless, you think that literacy isn't a part of being educated.
    Your own evidence says it does not. In fact it goes out of its way to point this out and ask the question why? It then goes on to discuss the reasons why.

    Did you even bother to read your own proof? You would have known this.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    #3-Statistics are invalid since they do not exist for either side of the Mason-Dixon. If you want statistics of the south then you present the ones for the north. However, academia has made it difficult for any historian to research into the antebellum south for political correctness reasons and want all of the focus on New England. The two pdfs I linked state this as a fact.
    You have already provided proof that says the Northerners were more educated. Why would anyone but you want to refute your own proof that says the opposite of what you wanted it too?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    So far you have shown nothing and produced nothing, but are quick to jump on a person that does provide a source. You want me to produce statistics of the southern school attendence then do so for the north first.
    No. I want you to stop ignoring/misrepresenting what others are saying and address the actual subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #233
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Oh man I called that one!

    She asked a question that inferred nothing but asking a question, so again you are trying to put words in others mouths.

    Funny how often that comes up.
    Sorry, but what she said was a statement and not a question. So no, I'm not putting words in her mouth. Funny how often you assume that I do. The opposite of education is uneducated. Therefore, she inferred that the south was uneducated by default.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Your own evidence says it does not. In fact it goes out of its way to point this out and ask the question why? It then goes on to discuss the reasons why.

    Did you even bother to read your own proof? You would have known this.
    You're the one that stated that literacy is not education. Back up your statement with a source before you jump on me about using a source. Back up your statement that literacy does not equal education with a source.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You have already provided proof that says the Northerners were more educated. Why would anyone but you want to refute your own proof that says the opposite of what you wanted it too?
    The north was more educated by a slim margin. That does not mean you can infer that the south was less educated. As I said before, put up some proof to your statements. Your rhetoric and baseless accusations are no longer enough for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No. I want you to stop ignoring/misrepresenting what others are saying and address the actual subject.
    I want you to stop passing your opinion and rhetoric as facts. I want you to start providing sources that back up your statements. If you cannot adhere to the standard you set for me then I'm sorry we will not have anything to discuss further. Also, stop misrepresenting and ignoring what I've said using sources.
    Last edited by The_Patriot; 07-12-10 at 10:32 PM.

  4. #234
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Sorry, but what she said was a statement and not a question. So no, I'm not putting words in her mouth. Funny how often you assume that I do. The opposite of education is uneducated. Therefore, she inferred that the south was uneducated by default.
    Her question did not infer any such thing.

    At most, it only inferred that southern soldiers were LESS educated. Not uneducated.

    As I read it, no inferring of even that sort occurred, and it simply asked a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    You're the one that stated that literacy is not education. Back up your statement with a source before you jump on me about using a source. Back up your statement that literacy does not equal education with a source.
    It’s blatantly obvious that literacy =/= education. It’s a key part, true, but many other aspects make up education. No backing up needed. If you can’t see this, well…

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    The north was more educated by a slim margin. That does not mean you can infer that the south was less educated. As I said before, put up some proof to your statements. Your rhetoric and baseless accusations are no longer enough for me.
    Umm…So, you’re saying that “north slightly more educated than south” =/= “south slightly less educated than north”?

    I chuckle at you.

    No, I LOL.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #235
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Sorry, but what she said was a statement and not a question. So no, I'm not putting words in her mouth. Funny how often you assume that I do. The opposite of education is uneducated. Therefore, she inferred that the south was uneducated by default.
    I am not even going to bother with the rest as it was covered pretty well by The Mark.

    Your statement above is an exaggeration of what she said at best, and a lie at worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #236
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Her question did not infer any such thing.

    At most, it only inferred that southern soldiers were LESS educated. Not uneducated.

    As I read it, no inferring of even that sort occurred, and it simply asked a question.

    It’s blatantly obvious that literacy =/= education. It’s a key part, true, but many other aspects make up education. No backing up needed. If you can’t see this, well…

    Umm…So, you’re saying that “north slightly more educated than south” =/= “south slightly less educated than north”?

    I chuckle at you.

    No, I LOL.
    If she asked a question then she would have used a question mark. No, she inferred that Confederate soldiers were uneducated when asking about their education.

    Back up with a source that literacy does not equal education. Prove it with a source. I'm sorry but empty rhetoric and opinions is getting old.

    I phrased it wrong when I should have said, "That does not mean you can infer that the south was uneducated."

  7. #237
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I am not even going to bother with the rest as it was covered pretty well by The Mark.

    Your statement above is an exaggeration of what she said at best, and a lie at worst.
    Yeah being called to the mat to provide a source to back up your position is so very difficult.

  8. #238
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Back up with a source that literacy does not equal education. Prove it with a source. I'm sorry but empty rhetoric and opinions is getting old.
    Yes it is getting old. Your own source already backs up our position.

    So you want us to post proof other than your own?

    You made our case for us.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I phrased it wrong when I should have said, "That does not mean you can infer that the south was uneducated."
    She did not infer that and stated as much when you inferred she was "calling all Southerners uneducated." Another exaggeration I mite add.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #239
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    If she asked a question then she would have used a question mark. No, she inferred that Confederate soldiers were uneducated when asking about their education.
    As I stated, as I read the quote, even if it were NOT a question, it STILL wouldn’t infer that Confederate soldiers were uneducated – Just that they were LESS educated, in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Back up with a source that literacy does not equal education. Prove it with a source. I'm sorry but empty rhetoric and opinions is getting old.
    I'm simply using logic.

    And as you are making the claim to me that literacy =/= education, I say YOU should prove YOUR statements.

    But on with the logic.

    ---------

    First, what is an education, or the state of being educated?

    As I understand it, education is the knowledge you possess that you gained from instruction you received.

    Second, what is literacy, or the state of being literate?

    As I understand it, literacy is the state of being able to read (in whatever language is in use) a document and gain useable knowledge from doing so (dependent on prior knowledge in some cases, obviously).
    ---------

    This leads me to the conclusion that:

    Literacy is a key part of obtaining and using an education, but many other factors are important.

    As an example, if I know nothing about algebra, I will have very little chance of gaining useable knowledge from a book on quantum physics.

    By the same token, if I know nothing about biology, I would have little chance of gaining useable knowledge from a book on genetic science.

    ---------

    This kind of thing should be self-evident. I do not understand why you demand proof.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I phrased it wrong when I should have said, "That does not mean you can infer that the south was uneducated."
    With that change, your statement would be correct.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #240
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes it is getting old. Your own source already backs up our position.

    So you want us to post proof other than your own?

    You made our case for us.



    She did not infer that and stated as much when you inferred she was "calling all Southerners uneducated." Another exaggeration I mite add.
    No source to back up your statements, so that means I'll disregard what you have to say.

Page 24 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •