View Poll Results: Is Taxation Slavery?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 17.14%
  • No

    78 74.29%
  • Other (Explain)

    9 8.57%
Page 21 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 872

Thread: Is Taxation Slavery?

  1. #201
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    I never agreed to such a system

    Again I never agreed to such a system, why would any sane individual relinquish their right to the right of self ownership to a group of other men?

    I would rather have no government in which the individual not the state hold the power of sovereign.
    Have fun in Somalia!

  2. #202
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    I never agreed to such a system
    Then you have three options if you don't like it. You can agitate for change in the system peacefully, you can try to change it by force, or you can leave.

    Again I never agreed to such a system, why would any sane individual relinquish their right to the right of self ownership to a group of other men?
    I could give you some great philosophers on the subject if you're interested, but I would disagree you don't own yourself.

    I would rather have no government in which the individual not the state hold the power of sovereign.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  3. #203
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    That's a load of ****ing bull****, that's like saying that if I stick a gun in your face and tell me to give me all of your cash that you are giving me that money voluntarily. The state takes taxes by force that is the exact opposite of voluntary.
    Angry are we, Agent Ferris?? I send my taxes in quarterly. Wouldn't have to if I didn't want to. In fact, there are tax protesters all over the place who use legal angles to wrangle their way into not paying. Perhaps you should look into that. Or quit work. Or move to "that other country."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #204
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    There are LOTS of things my government does that I disagree with. There are LOTS of things it spends money on that I don't like. There are LOTS of tax laws I hate.

    But I'm a patriotic American, and a loyal American, and I know that this is what democracy is all about. I won't always get my way.

    And when I want change, I work for campaigns, contribute, vote, contact my congressman, and work, because in America that's how things get done.

    I suppose I could sit back and whine and claim that every time the majority elects politicians I don't like who do things I disagree with that I was a "slave" being "robbed" but I can't, because I'm a patriot. I know that's how it works -- because there are also things the government does that I agree with completely and thus someone else is upset. That's how it works. I don't always get my way, and other people don't always get their way. That's democracy.

    I seriously have to question whether someone who didn't understand this basic concept would be a true American.

  5. #205
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    There are LOTS of things my government does that I disagree with. There are LOTS of things it spends money on that I don't like. There are LOTS of tax laws I hate.

    But I'm a patriotic American, and a loyal American, and I know that this is what democracy is all about. I won't always get my way.

    And when I want change, I work for campaigns, contribute, vote, contact my congressman, and work, because in America that's how things get done.

    I suppose I could sit back and whine and claim that every time the majority elects politicians I don't like who do things I disagree with that I was a "slave" being "robbed" but I can't, because I'm a patriot. I know that's how it works -- because there are also things the government does that I agree with completely and thus someone else is upset. That's how it works. I don't always get my way, and other people don't always get their way. That's democracy.

    I seriously have to question whether someone who didn't understand this basic concept would be a true American.
    America is not a democracy. It is a democratic republic.

  6. #206
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    America is not a democracy. It is a democratic republic.
    And how does make any of my argument invalid?

  7. #207
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    And how does make any of my argument invalid?
    Democracy is mob rule.

  8. #208
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    ok...how about from YOUR SOURCE: FAIL

    First, the level of literacy there was lower than in the North.


    The Rise of Southern Literacy: Families, Schools, and Class in Antebellum Charleston
    Just because it was lower then the north doesn't mean that the south was uneducated, so you actually fail. Literacy in the south was between 81-90% which isn't that far off from the north's 91%.

  9. #209
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    How is the federal government saying that it would collect tariffs and protect federal property a declaration of war? That is the job of the federal government. The federal government had been doing that for decades, I'm not sure if that counts at "going to war over". Morever, you are completely discounting the rhetoric and reason given for the South's act of treason. You sir have no grasp of history, and you are defending slave owners and vile human beings to back up your own sick twisted view of reality.
    You are missing the last half of the sentence of what Lincoln said. I'm sorry that you keep making excuses for an illegal war and for a dictator. He stated that if he wasn't able to collect the duties and imposts under the Morrell Tariff that he would use invasion and war to accomplish those aims. As for not having a grasp of history, the only person in this debate that has sourced anything has been me. You have yet to cite a single source to back up your statements. No, I am not defending slave owners. I AM telling you what it was like in the context of the times that the events occured. There has been no calls of judgement from me regarding slavery and your claim that I did is laughable at best. Also, one cannot commit treason when they are no longer subject to the government. I suggest you read Lysander Spooner's book No Treason and he was a northern abolitionist that supported Lincoln's war. The only person that doesn't have a grasp of history is you. I have been studying American history, with an emphasis on 1620-1875 for 27 years now.

    but beyond what may be necessary for these objects, there will be no invasion, no using of force against or among the people anywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    At best a legal loophole, not "the north allowed slavery" like you stated.
    Not a legal loophole, since it was the way things were back then. The north had no choice but to accept slavery since the Constitution of the United States protected it. I give you Article IV Section II Clauses I and III.

    The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

    No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    I haven't stated anything that needs to be sourced. If there is any statement you'd like me to source, feel free.
    You're right that you haven't said anything that has any historical documentation to support. You have zero grasp of history and your empty words without backing proves this to be the case. No evidence means you lose.

  10. #210
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    And by service you mean an elaborate legalized racketeering scheme.
    No. I mean clean and cheap water and power. Good and well kept roads. Professional police departments etc. All things that the people I have an opportunity to vote for or against help maintain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    The private sector is anything but private. We live under a corporatist system of state capitalism not a free market.
    Completely different issue all together. It really is a debate unto itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Actually the state is the biggest offender.
    According to whom? You?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. The state is a for profit monopoly with guns and the self designated authority to use them to coerce the individual into paying their annual protection money.
    Wow, that is so typical of the "I hate government no matter what crowed." I am no fan of big government, but it could be so much worse. If you don't like our system, you can always move? I would.

    Throw out we the people vote the people into office.

    I mean really, it's a good thing that people with that mind set are in the lunatic fringe and have no chance of ever gaining any power.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Amazing how statists are willing to trust the state to do the right thing even though history has shown that this will never happen and in fact bends them over the counter on a daily basis without even the courtesy of a reach around.
    I am a statist now? LMAO! I am about as far as you can get from that. I am a realist though. We have a system and we have to work to better it. This means realistic goals and not libertarian or green party Utopian pipe dreams that belong on the fringe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 21 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •