View Poll Results: Is Taxation Slavery?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 17.14%
  • No

    78 74.29%
  • Other (Explain)

    9 8.57%
Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 872

Thread: Is Taxation Slavery?

  1. #151
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Everyone since plantantion owners accounted for less then 10% of the population. They also held 90% of the slaves. Slave owners were all races, so don't try the whites were only slave owners card. Your average Confederate didn't own a single slave and fought against invasion of their homes by an out of control federal government.
    lmao...what percentage of southern slaves were owned by blacks?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #152
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I already told you that the south seceded over the Morrell Tariff.
    I must have missed where you said that. What post was that in? Link to southerners saying it was over the Morrell tariff?

    Slavery was used as the language since it was an economic issue as well as a legislative issue. Slavery was NOT on the table in 1861 since Lincoln made it clear that he was fine with slavery and his support of the Corwin Amendment. He threatened war if the south didn't comply with the Morrell Tariff.
    Source on that?

    Picking and choosing what you want to use is not an option. You have to use the documents in their historical context and you haven't been. As an aside, slavery was legal in the United States for 79 years and protected by the Constitution of the United States. It was legal in the north during the entire war. A historical sidenote that when the Statute of Freedom was raised in 1863 over the US Capitol Building it was done by slaves. How ironic is that?
    Except it was not legal in the north, all "Northern" states had state laws banning it. Some border states did, but not Northern states.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  3. #153
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    We are paying our taxes, but we are not getting what we pay for. Instead, it is being redistributed to those who pay very little or no taxes.
    Damn that infernal democracy! How dare the elected officials do what people who elected them ask them to do!

  4. #154
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    How does plantation owners being less than 10% of the population equate to all free southerners being educated? Also, what do you consider educated? Basic reading skills, knowing a trade, some sort of arithmetic skills, something else?
    You brought up plantation owners. I put them into historical context. The fact of the matter is that you have provided nothing but your words that the south was uneducated. Pony up on some facts to compare to mine.

  5. #155
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    You brought up plantation owners. I put them into historical context. The fact of the matter is that you have provided nothing but your words that the south was uneducated. Pony up on some facts to compare to mine.
    you yourself said education was for the wealthy. which side are you arguing?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #156
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    You brought up plantation owners. I put them into historical context. The fact of the matter is that you have provided nothing but your words that the south was uneducated. Pony up on some facts to compare to mine.
    I never said the south was uneducated. I think you are thinking of someone else. I just wanted you to clarify your statement.

  7. #157
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    I must have missed where you said that. What post was that in? Link to southerners saying it was over the Morrell tariff?
    Then I suggest you go back and reread what I wrote.

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Source on that?
    I give you Lincoln's First Inaugural Address.

    Apprehension seems to exist among the people of the Southern States that by the accession of a Republican Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. It is found in nearly all the published speeches of him who now addresses you. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that—

    I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

    Doing this I deem to be only a simple duty on my part, and I shall perform it so far as practicable unless my rightful masters, the American people, shall withhold the requisite means or in some authoritative manner direct the contrary. I trust this will not be regarded as a menace, but only as the declared purpose of the Union that it will constitutionally defend and maintain itself. 17

    In doing this there needs to be no bloodshed or violence, and there shall be none unless it be forced upon the national authority. The power confided to me will be used to hold, occupy, and possess the property and places belonging to the Government and to collect the duties and imposts; but beyond what may be necessary for these objects, there will be no invasion, no using of force against or among the people anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Except it was not legal in the north, all "Northern" states had state laws banning it. Some border states did, but not Northern states.
    It was perfectly legal in the north. Ulysses S. Grant had no problems owning slaves while he lived in Illinois.

  8. #158
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    you yourself said education was for the wealthy. which side are you arguing?
    I'm arguing the side that the south wasn't filled with a bunch of uneducated slobs that modern education systems have made it out to be. We use literacy as a gauge of education and under such gauge the south was equally as educated as the north. Prove that they weren't.
    Last edited by The_Patriot; 07-12-10 at 03:53 PM.

  9. #159
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Then I suggest you go back and reread what I wrote.
    In which post?


    I give you Lincoln's First Inaugural Address.
    [/quote]
    Specifically, where did he threated war over tariffs.

    It was perfectly legal in the north. Ulysses S. Grant had no problems owning slaves while he lived in Illinois.
    Again, source, or should I assume you're making stuff up?




    So, would you say that pre civil war slavery is comparable to taxes?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  10. #160
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Is Taxation Slavery?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    In which post?

    Specifically, where did he threated war over tariffs.

    Again, source, or should I assume you're making stuff up?

    So, would you say that pre civil war slavery is comparable to taxes?
    I have sourced my statements so I'm going to hold you to the same standard that you are holding me to. Source everything starting with your very first comment. When you are done then we will talk.

    Here's the source that Grant owned slaves.

    Grant acquired one of those slaves in 1858 (and manumitted him the next year, when the Grants returned to Illinois) and his wife owned four slaves. From 1858-1859, he was a bill collector in St. Louis.
    Last edited by The_Patriot; 07-12-10 at 04:00 PM.

Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •