View Poll Results: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republican

    9 39.13%
  • Democracy

    9 39.13%
  • Other (Explain)

    5 21.74%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 120

Thread: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Look guys. I do not want to derail ANOTHER thread towards the natural rights debate. I will continue the debate I am having with Ikari in that particular thread and link to it and invite you all to join.
    Do you have that link to the natural rights debate? I would like to read it. Thanks!

  2. #92
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Once you start limiting the rights of others, for any reason, you head down the path of tyranny.
    And yet without it, we're already a majority welfare state where the have's support have not's with no incentive for have not's to better themselves. Sounds like a little more meritocracy would balance things out.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #93
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    And yet without it, we're already a majority welfare state where the have's support have not's with no incentive for have not's to better themselves. Sounds like a little more meritocracy would balance things out.
    I disagree. I was a have not that decided to better himself, however, I could have not and been just fine. I think this kind of attitude shows a pretty cynical view of humanity.

  4. #94
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    When the 13 independent colonies were freed from the grip of Great Britain, the standard voting practice was done with public votes by land owners. The thinking was that those that actually owned land had a stake in the welfare of the city/county/state/country they resided in and to prevent masses of people from voting themselves largesse from the land owners. This was the way voting was done up until the 1820's when the Whig and Democratic parties platformed for change to allow all white males to vote and was passed in time for Andrew Jackson to be elected. This is why I prefer to call the Republican method of voting.

    The current way of voting is that everyone can vote that is 18 and above. This had lead to a large warfare/welfare state where the key issues aren't filled with substance, but about who can redistribute the wealth of the property owners into the pockets of the non-property owners.

    Which do you prefer?
    of course, the current system.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #95
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I believe those who pay more taxes (or have say served the nation in the military etc) should have more say than those who are on the dole.

    I don't think 51 welfare recipients should be able to vote away the wealth of 49 hard working net tax payers
    seriously, dude, you are no better than anyone else.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #96
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I would go that route but with the caveat of it being property owners and not contributers. History has shown that property owners make the best decisions since they are naturally inclined to be well versed in the issues of the day and to keep the best interests of the community in mind when voting. I like the public voting aspect as well since a person should be able to withstand any scrutiny by their neighbors regarding the way they voted.
    i would really like to see proof of what you claim. and as for public voting, wtf? why is it your business how i vote?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  7. #97
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i would really like to see proof of what you claim. and as for public voting, wtf? why is it your business how i vote?
    The reason voting became private was because business owners were telling their employees to vote a certain way or be fired. I would hate to return to those days.

  8. #98
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I disagree. I was a have not that decided to better himself, however, I could have not and been just fine. I think this kind of attitude shows a pretty cynical view of humanity.
    I agree and didn't mean to infer all have not's are happy that way. However, not all have not's are like you, and I still submit that many as you say will be "just fine" eating cheeto's, living off government welfare handouts and will be very content that way. A balance between welfare and merit seems appropriate.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #99
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    seriously, dude, you are no better than anyone else.
    It depends -- he might be. He's better than my cousin who's been on the dole now for over a year. She claims she get's just as much staying home and unemployed as she does working - so why work?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #100
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Republican vs. Democracy Voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I agree and didn't mean to infer all have not's are happy that way. However, not all have not's are like you, and I still submit that many as you say will be "just fine" eating cheeto's, living off government welfare handouts and will be very content that way. A balance between welfare and merit seems appropriate.
    My personal view is that if someone is on welfare with no job, than the state should assign them one, the more not fun the job, the better. However, we should certainly not get rid of the program as I think the stability it adds to society is more than worth it.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •