View Poll Results: Which tax system is most 'fair'?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Progressive Tax

    90 42.25%
  • Regressive Tax

    0 0%
  • Flat Percentage Tax Rate

    104 48.83%
  • Flat Dollar Tax

    5 2.35%
  • Other

    14 6.57%
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 327

Thread: Which tax system is most 'fair'

  1. #301
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Yes, you do-no. I agree totally. In an earlier post I suggested $400,000 as the point where taxes should become quite steep. The average attorney only makes about $90k, the average family MD only makes about $120,000. A lot of people think that is rich, but that is not rich at all. The average specialist MD makes about $360,000 and that is the highest average salary for any common job. Now certainly someone who is particularly sucessful in is career should be able to make a little more than "average", so $400,000K seems to be a natural cutoff point for a large tax bracket hike. If you exclude the top 1% of income earners, the average worker only makes about $40k, so that $400,000 cutoff is ten times average earnings. Also, the top 1% of income starts at, get this - about $400,000. $400,000 seems to be a quite natural taxation point.
    What gives you or the government the right to say that someone has earned too much money? Does the President of the United States earn too much money since it's now $569,000* a year tax free? Is the President rich?

    * This includes the discretionary spending, yearly salary, travel allowance, and entertainment.
    Last edited by The_Patriot; 07-15-10 at 11:07 PM.

  2. #302
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    I make little money now - just starting in my career. I find some money to give when a cause comes around that I care for. But if the total taxes I pay which currently exceed 54% of my income (including sales tax, property taxes, income tax, state tax, social security, medicare and local taxes) were reduced, I believe I would have more money to donate to charities. To help a lot of those same people that the government is taxing me to help anyway. The only difference is that I would get to choose who my money helps more directly. As of now, I have no choice - the government chooses and qualifies the people who are 'entitled' to my money and charities get barely anything.

    Wow, you admit that you are one of those lazy people like turtledude rants against, just starting a career and making little money. Yet you pay 54% of your income on taxes. Hows can that be? You are supposed to be in the group of people who suck off of the elite class like turtledude.

    Could it be possible that ones income does not reflect what they contribute to society?

  3. #303
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post

    i totally oppose progressive income taxes because it allows people like you to push for more and more government spending while not suffering any harm so you have no incentive to stop wasteful spending.
    Wrong Again. (!)
    Even on your Deflection/still not being able to answer my points about "Fair" as opposed to reality.
    Tough when faced with real numbers eh?

    As to your new fallacy.....
    How much we collect is a DIFFERENT issue than who we collect it from.

    One can have big or small govt, but this string is about WHO pays the 'x' amount of dollars that we decide we need to spend.

    Many oppose the 'FairYtax' (and of course ANY Tax) for that reason too.. it's easy to raise. Just add a percent or two if you need it. And of course they claim revenue neutral. It's not a bigger or smaller govt advocated.
    Bigger or smaller govt, a separate issue.
    Last edited by mbig; 07-15-10 at 11:16 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  4. #304
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Wow, you admit that you are one of those lazy people like turtledude rants against, just starting a career and making little money. Yet you pay 54% of your income on taxes. Hows can that be? You are supposed to be in the group of people who suck off of the elite class like turtledude.

    Could it be possible that ones income does not reflect what they contribute to society?
    Nah, he's a winner because he realizes what he has to do to be responsible for his own upkeep rather than the slugs who sit back and whine that they cannot make it because the rich took all the wealth



  5. #305
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Wrong Again. (!)
    Even on your Deflection/still not being able to answer my points.

    As to your new fallacy.....
    How much we collect is a DIFFERENT issue than who we collect it from.

    One can have big or small govt, but this string is about WHO pays the 'x' amount of dollars that we decide we need to spend.

    Many oppose the 'FairYtax' (and of course ANY Tax) for that reason too.. it's easy to raise. And of course they claim revenue neutral.

    Bigger or smaller govt, a separate issue.
    how can I be wrong about an opinion
    you are humping my leg over a thread you merely "me too'd" on and it has nothing to do with reality



  6. #306
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    What gives you or the government the right to say that someone has earned too much money? Does the President of the United States earn too much money since it's now $569,000* a year tax free? Is the President rich?

    * This includes the discretionary spending, yearly salary, travel allowance, and entertainment.
    I have already explained my logic. If you can detail a better definition of unusually high income, then go for it. Just don't pretend like I did not give a perfectly logical explaination.

    Now lets take your example, the President making $569,000, now I would certainly expect that the most powerful person in the world would earn a high income. There should be no shock or suprise in that.

    How much do you suppose he has to pay in income taxes with todays current tax code? Probably something approaching $175,000. Now if we had the $400,000 tax exemption like I have proposed, even if we raised the tax rate to 50%, he would only pay about $84,000 in taxes. Now which tax code sounds like a better deal for the prez? Our current tax code, or the one I propose?

  7. #307
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Wrong Again. (!)
    Even on your Deflection/still not being able to answer my points.
    Tough when faced with real numbers eh?

    As to your new fallacy.....
    How much we collect is a DIFFERENT issue than who we collect it from.

    One can have big or small govt, but this string is about WHO pays the 'x' amount of dollars that we decide we need to spend.

    Many oppose the 'FairYtax' (and of course ANY Tax) for that reason too.. it's easy to raise. And of course they claim revenue neutral.

    Bigger or smaller govt, a separate issue.
    Taxes isn't what constrained spending. It was the fact we had a gold standard and there was physically only so much money available. The move to fiat currency removed the physical limitation and the implementation of the fractional reserve system combined with Keynesian economics is what has caused the spending to escalate. Taxes have nothing to do with deficit spending since deficits according to Keynes are good.

  8. #308
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I have already explained my logic. If you can detail a better definition of unusually high income, then go for it. Just don't pretend like I did not give a perfectly logical explaination.

    Now lets take your example, the President making $569,000, now I would certainly expect that the most powerful person in the world would earn a high income. There should be no shock or suprise in that.

    How much do you suppose he has to pay in income taxes with todays current tax code? Probably something approaching $175,000. Now if we had the $400,000 tax exemption like I have proposed, even if we raised the tax rate to 50%, he would only pay about $84,000 in taxes. Now which tax code sounds like a better deal for the prez? Our current tax code, or the one I propose?
    I didn't ask for your logic. I asked what gives you the right to say someone makes too much money and to demand the confiscation of their property without due course of law?

  9. #309
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Taxes isn't what constrained spending. It was the fact we had a gold standard and there was physically only so much money available. The move to fiat currency removed the physical limitation and the implementation of the fractional reserve system combined with Keynesian economics is what has caused the spending to escalate. Taxes have nothing to do with deficit spending since deficits according to Keynes are good.
    Again.. this is a separate issue.
    this string is about "fair" and WHO pays how much.
    NOT the total.
    We don't/shouldn't need a logician here .. but do need some common sense.
    Last edited by mbig; 07-15-10 at 11:21 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  10. #310
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Again.. this is a separate issue.
    this string is about "fair" and WHO pays.
    NOT the total.
    We don't/shouldn't need a full logician here .. but do need some common sense.
    I already gave my answer on what is fair. Here it is for reference.

    The only fair tax that is directly laid on the people is one of apportionment. All others are unfair since it presupposes that you do not have the right to enjoy the gains of your own industry and the right to own and dispose of your property as you see fit.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •