View Poll Results: Which tax system is most 'fair'?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Progressive Tax

    90 42.25%
  • Regressive Tax

    0 0%
  • Flat Percentage Tax Rate

    104 48.83%
  • Flat Dollar Tax

    5 2.35%
  • Other

    14 6.57%
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 327

Thread: Which tax system is most 'fair'

  1. #191
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, we may have 50% of the working population not caring how tax dollars are being spent, but that may not necessarily be because they have no personal stake in it. Even if they had a personal stake in it does not mean they would care. Neither does it mean that they would no longer be ignorant on the subject.
    I dunno- I make a middle-class income, and pay around 10,000 yearly just in federal income taxes- same with my husband. We pay almost 20,000 yearly plus SS and medicare taxes, then all the other forms of taxes we pay to the state and locally. I really do care where it goes, because I could use that extra money. When you're making 50-55,000 per year, and you don't have a huge mortgage, kids as dependents, don't own a business, and just pay your taxes, it really adds up. It would be nice if the feds were as cautious with my money as I am.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #192
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I dunno- I make a middle-class income, and pay around 10,000 yearly just in federal income taxes- same with my husband. We pay almost 20,000 yearly plus SS and medicare taxes, then all the other forms of taxes we pay to the state and locally. I really do care where it goes, because I could use that extra money. When you're making 50-55,000 per year, and you don't have a huge mortgage, kids as dependents, don't own a business, and just pay your taxes, it really adds up. It would be nice if the feds were as cautious with my money as I am.
    Well said Lizzie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I dunno- I make a middle-class income, and pay around 10,000 yearly just in federal income taxes- same with my husband. We pay almost 20,000 yearly plus SS and medicare taxes, then all the other forms of taxes we pay to the state and locally. I really do care where it goes, because I could use that extra money. When you're making 50-55,000 per year, and you don't have a huge mortgage, kids as dependents, don't own a business, and just pay your taxes, it really adds up. It would be nice if the feds were as cautious with my money as I am.
    <Channeling Milton Friedman>
    No one is better with your money than you are.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #194
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    <Channeling Milton Friedman>
    No one is better with your money than you are.
    "Unless they they are a crack head" - me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #195
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Progressive tax
    Please provide the particulars of the sound reasoning that lead you to this conclusion.

  6. #196
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    The Fair Tax is the most fair. Here's what it entails:

    1/6/2009--Introduced.Fair Tax Act of 2009 - Repeals the income tax, employment tax, and estate and gift tax. Redesignates the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 as the Internal Revenue Code of 2009.Imposes a national sales tax on the use or consumption in the United States of taxable property or services.
    Don't know if it's been introduced again this year, but has been for five or six years until now. The proposed rate on this Fair Tax (basically a national sales tax) is 23%...with rebates back to taxpayers who meet certain income/family size criteria.

    This tax would abolish the Internal Revenue Service saving billions and and dismantle an entire industry whose billions are made helping people fill out the IRS's ever-more-confusing Income Tax Returns. No more tax cheats.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #197
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It would be nice if the feds were as cautious with my money as I am.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

    However, how cautious politicians are with how they spend tax revenue is mutually exclusive to the tax system the government uses to calculate taxes.

  8. #198
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Not if those same politicians notice the taxes being removed from their own pockets.

    Or at least, I would think not so much.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #199
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Not if those same politicians notice the taxes being removed from their own pockets.

    Or at least, I would think not so much.
    It's not taxes politicians put into their own pockets. It's campaign contributions. It's those contributors whose pockets they put tax money into.

  10. #200
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Which tax system is most 'fair'

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    It's not taxes politicians put into their own pockets. It's campaign contributions. It's those contributors whose pockets they put tax money into.
    Point...

    But still, one would think the reduction in campaign fund total would be noticed...or perhaps not, depending on how much they actually pay in taxes.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •